Is Nativeways Rays, Reef, Rum Point too much to fit in?

rkmom

We booked the rays, reef, and run point trip after reading some good reviews of it here, but on another board, the moderator (a local?) suggested to several people that there was really not time in a day's cruise stop to do all three stops. Obviously, they run this tour, and people do it and I guess it works out, but I was wondering if people who had taken the tour felt rushed at each stop, worn out from doing it all, or was it cutting it close getting back to the ship? We will be on the Miracle in July, so we are in port 7-4 but with the time difference it is 6-3 I guess. I heard the last tender is at 2:00. That does sound like alot to fit into that time frame. Just wondering how others fared with the trip.

I had read some questionable things about Nativeway lately, too, so now I am getting worried. I want to see stingrays, snorkel, and have some relaxing time on the beach. Is there another excursion that offers this sort of combination?

Thanks for any info or advice!

Kim

We took this tour two weeks ago. We were on the Miracle. We loved it. We did not feel rushed at all. THere were only 12 people on the boat. Reasonable (not too long) ride to get to snorkeling, sting rays and beach. Relaxing time on beach. Back to pier by 2:00 or so. Not much time to shop as our last tender was supposed to leave by 3:15 (although due to high waves , it was 4:45). Not much shopping anyway in Grand Cayman.

I am having the same concern. It is my understanding that they are not running that tour according to the times listed on the website. They are starting later than advertised and return later than advertised. I have this tour booked, but unless they return to the advertised schedule which aligns with the Miracle, I am afraid I will have to cancel.

We did this tour last week on the Miracle and it was wonderful. Nativeway was aware of the ship times and had us back in plenty of time to catch the last tender. This was our first independent tour and would gladly do it again.

Pam

We just took the Nativeway tour and it was great. There were 2 boats that did different tours and then there was a later tour that ended the same time ours ended. On our boat, there were people from 3 different ships and they made sure that we were all back in time. Their reputation is based on getting you back in time.

We are doing the Rays, Reef, and Rum Pt w/ Nativeway on June 10- how did you get to Rum Point- did you ride or did Nativeway take you on the Boat? It looks lke a boat trip would be much faster-

Thanks

all three are close together. We got in vans and rode about 15 minutes to the dock. We split up into 2 groups, short and long trip. We got to Stingray city and spend about 45 minutes. We went about a mile away to Coral Garadens and snorkled for about 40 minutes. We got back on the boat and they had menus and took our lunch order (included) and when we arrived to Rum Point Beach our food was ready. We had 2 hours at the beach and got back on the boat to the dock then into the van and to the curise port. There were people from 3 different ships on our tour.

I loved my time with Nativeway, and considered it the highlight of the cruise. I never felt rushed - on the contrary, it was very relaxing, especially the time at Rum Point Beach - pure heaven! There was no time to shop in Grand Cayman, so if that is a priority for you, that would be the only reason to do a shorter tour, in my opinion. Check out my photos of Rum Point Beach:

http://community.webshots.com/album/320168598JUYGhp

newbiecruiser...Thanks for posting the link to your photos. We will be on the Victory in August and doing the same ports as you did. I am considering doing Nativeway although haven't decided whether to do the Rum Point beach or not. We have done the tour with Captain Marvins and was happy with it, but thought maybe we would try Nativeway this time.

I know this is not the Jamaica board, but could you tell me where you had lunch on your tour with Phil in Ocho Rios? We are undecided just what we want to do there. We have climbed Dunn's River Falls, but would like to do the river tubing. I would like to try some local food, but don't want an expensive meal (there will be 7 of us) nor do I want to spend a lot of time at a restaurant. Just trying to get an idea of what is available.

I don't know the name of the little roadside place we stopped with Phil - unfortunately that was the only LOW point of our day! From what I gather, Phil usually stops at a place called BiBiBip's (sp) that is much nicer and overlooks the ocean. This was a tacky little spot - we got one small platter of meat for 3 of us, plus 4 rolls - we could identify the chicken and ribs, which were good, but the pork was very iffy, including some pieces of just bone and hide with bristles - EWWWW! - which we attempted to feed to the mangy cat next to us, who rejected them as well, LOL! Along with 3 bottles of juice, this set us back $20 - I gave Phil a "you've got to be kidding" look, but we paid him.

I think he was trying to fit everything in for everybody on the bus, and didn't have time to go to BiBiBips, because one family wanted to get back earlier to shop.

I liked Phil a lot (he has a great personality!), and I didn't complain although my sister did email him after we got back to tell him we weren't thrilled with the lunch stop. Just make sure you know where you're going for lunch if you book Phil! Also, he did give our bus a chance to stop at a roadside craft stand, and we didn't think we had time, so we didn't - I wish we had, because we only had an hour to shop in Ocho Rios and ran around in the Island Village, which is a gated "shopping area" - very touristy - right by the pier, at the end of our tour.

Have a great cruise!

Definitely research the river tubing. We spent $20 each to tube and it was so fun and pretty, but only lasted 30 minutes - we all wanted to stay so much longer!

Just wondering what you meant by "research" the river tubing. Are there some tours that give you a longer time in the river?

Setcarp, I see you were on the navigator, we'll be on the rhapsody in sept., did you book this through rccl? If you did which excursion is it? I looked at them and i couldn't find one with rum point!:confused:

Thanks for your help;)

Archived