Sensation or Ecstasy? What ports in Bahamas are good?

tonijmccann

Hello! So my husband and I just decided we want to take a cruise in May to celebrate our one year anniversary. We got married last April on a Carnival cruise! :) This will be my fourth cruise and my husband's second. We were going to take a trip to New York but after looking into cruises at the same time, we'd actually be saving a lot of money by going to the Bahamas... and the Bahamas beats New York! So we're debating between a few of them.. which is better, the Sensation or Ecstasy? (We're 22 and 23 if that helps) I've never been on either of these ships. Also, what ports are good for the Bahamas? (Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay? Also, Grand Turk is one of the options, is that a good one?) Excursion recommendations would be great too!

Thanks!

Never been to Freeport, but hear it isn't much (going Jan 21). Nassau is okay (if you are drinkers, check out the Booze Cruise-it was a BLAST!). I think Grand Turk is good from what I have read, but never been there.

Half Moon Cay = excellent! I'm not personally fond of Nassau but lots of people love it, and if you like big resorts, Atlantis is said to be a good (if $$$$) place to go. In Freeport, it's a cab ride to anything worth seeing - I didn't bother to get off the ship there (and I had the place pretty much to myself - fun!).

The ships are comparable, and I've enjoyed both (though a long time ago on Sensation) - their architecture is identical and both have been through the Evolutions Of Fun (Serenity deck, Waterworks, etc.). The only differences are in the decor. However, I enjoyed Ecstasy so much in November that I'm going again this week - a great staff, really good entertainment (especially for a short cruise), great cruise director.

Have a great time!

Here is my opinion on ports:

1. Nassau - first time I went I thought it was the most boring place once you've walked through the straw market (if you even like to look at straw items and knock off bags), BUT second time we booked an excursion through Stuart Coves for the ultimate snorkel and it was awesome! Nassau has some beautiful water and fish if you can get out there and enjoy it.

2. Freeport - not much to do here, and usually the ship's itinerary only has you here for a short time. If you have time for a snorkel excursion, it might be much like Nassau where you see a lot more than if you just walk around.

3. Grand Turk - will visit this port on our next family cruise. I have done some research, and it seems most of the excursions have to be booked through the cruiseline. We don't prefer that, but if it has to be done that way, so be it. The one thing I did observe, is that it seems a bit more expensive than some of the other Bahamian stops...but I haven't completed my research yet.

4. HMC - I haven't heard anyone say bad things about this private island. This is also a port on our next cruise. We are going to rent a cabana, but we also have 4 - 6 people and it will be more worth the price than if we just had 2. I think you can rent pretty much anything on HMC, so there should be plenty to do there. I have read that snorkeling is not as good at HMC, but again, this is not from personal experience.

As for the ships...I have sailed on Ecstasy and remember it being OK...definitely read the member reviews on Cruise Critic...though remember to take them for what they're worth...personal opinions.

Freeport is a long way from the actual town and you have quite a bus/cab ride to get there. You will want to book a tour if you go, because if you don't, you end up walking around the tourist village looking at t-shirts.

Grand Turk is a beautiful place, however, if you don't book a tour, you will end up spending too much money at Margaritaville. I have done an island tour (Green Iguana buses), snorkeled, and we are renting golf carts this February. I also spent some time at Jack's Shack, although I find that place to be quite expensive also - it used to be a nice quiet place to spend the afternoon, but its popularity (and prices) has grown.

Nassau - I don't mind Nassau that much. We have been to Atlantis, walked (yes, I said walked) to Fort Elizabeth (? I don't remember if that is the right name, I was too tired to listen when I got there), drank at Senor Frogs and several other bars, bought worthless stuff at the straw market, etc. Our next stop we will be hunting down the Queen's Staircase. Beaches are great.

Half Moon Cay - beautiful beach day. Not a lot to do, all excursions have to be purchased through Carnival.

As far as the ship comparisons, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. They are pretty much the same.

Hope this helps!

Archived