St. Mark's Reservations?

account4fun

Yes, some people do it and it was worth it this past May for me. There was a line that was a hundred people or so long to get in the main entrance. Just to the left of that entrance, there was a second door with a small sign noting it was for those who had already booked a time slot. You just show the printout at that door and they let you right in. There was really no line there when I went in at 1:00pm, if I recall. I'm sure the lines get longer as the summer season unfolds. If I recall, admission is free, but they charge 1 euro for this advance booking feature via the web.

I just noticed that the St. Mark's website gives you the ability to make reservations and avoid the line. Do people do this? We will be there in June.

Kristi--we did that for our June 2010 cruise and it did help us to get in without any lines. This was the site we used. It was free when we did it but now I believe they are asking for 1 Euro a person? http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint_mark_s_basilica/

Depending on the time of the day, sometimes there is no line to get in but better be safe than sorry.

For all the major sights in Rome you can pre book admissions and avoid the queues and maximize your scarce sightseeing time including - St. Peters, Vatican Museum, Vatican Gardens, Borghese Gallery, Colloseum & Roman Forum etc . You book on line through a mob called tikitaly .

Same applies same Company for major sights in Firenze, Venezia, Milano, Pisa .

Kristi--we did that for our June 2010 cruise and it did help us to get in without any lines. This was the site we used. It was free when we did it but now I believe they are asking for 1 Euro a person? http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint_mark_s_basilica/

Depending on the time of the day, sometimes there is no line to get in but better be safe than sorry.

Rebecca - Yes this was the same website I found yesterday. Thanks for the input and it says you can reserve up to 10 min ahead of time so we won't have to decide too far in advance!

We used this service in June and it was well worth the 1 euro per person. The general admission line stretched almost to the canal but we only waited a few minutes for the reserved line.

When we were there, they were pretty strict about only letting people in per the time window on the reservation, so keep this in mind if you make a reservation. There was a couple in front of us who were an hour or so late for their booked time and they were refused entry. The strictness of this policy may depend on who is at the gate and the size of the crowd awaiting entry...

St Mark's Basilica is free to go inside but there is optional sights inside that cost (treasury 3 euros, Golden Altarpiece 2 euros, San Marco Museum 4 euros). There is always a line getting into St Mark's but if you have a bag to check you can avoid the line. There is a small church (Ateneo San Basso) 30 yards to the left of the basilica down Calle San Basso. If you leave a bag there you take your claim ticket to the basilica's tourist entrance. Keep to the left of the railing and show your ticket to the gatekeeper and he will let you in ahead of the line.

We paid the 1Euro per person in July to avoid the line. What a deal! The regular line looked like it was about an hour long (we had an apartment for 6 nights that was about 45 seconds from St. Mark's square, so we had many opportunities to see the line and how it wasn't moving. The express line took about 5 minutes once our reservation time came up.

If only I could buy an hour of my own time for 1 Euro everywhere else!

Archived