First time Cruiser, Tender worries, cave tubing question

dsharky

Hi all,

My wife and I are first time cruisers and just found your board. Wow, what a wealth of information. We'll be traveling on Royals EOS 4/24 to 5/1.

Just wondering if we will get seasick while riding the tendering boats? Last time we were at Maui, heading out to Molokini which probably was only a 30 minute boat ride had us queezing even after taking Drammamine (sp?)

Any advice, tips? We also want to tender as early as possible so we can do the cave tubing tour. can't wait since it sounds so fun!

How's the water level of the caves during the last week of April

The tender boats in Belize are open on each end. If you get sick easily, I would make sure and sit on either end so that you are getting fresh air at all times. Otherwise you will be crowded into the middle and it is covered, meaning no fresh air. I didn't think the tender ride was bad at all. It seemed to go quickly, the boats are pretty fast. I would say about 15 minutes.

we did the cave tubing with reggie. My husband was extremely nervous that we wouldn't make it on time nd he would leave without us so we scurried to the tender and "snuck off". When they have the tender, they call the cruise excursions first and all others must wait. We blended in line and got on the first tender. We were nervous that someone would catch on and thow us off (not throw but make us overboard but make us get off the tender). Anyway that didn't happen and we were at the site to meet reggie about an hour before he got there and then i had to worry that he wasn't going to show. Didn't happen. he showed up as prominised (belize time is different) and waited patiently for any others he had booked on the tour. He was not going to leave without them which i found very comforting for future tours with reggie. There were only 10 of us in our group and it made for a great time. I would definitely use reggie again. My husband doubted my planning (as he always does) but everything worked out hust fine. I think next cruise that i will increase his zoloft dose so he will stop worrying and second guessing my fabulous plans that never go wrong (ha).

I agree with "andinp"; the tender ride is 10-15 minutes at most. We sat in the back on the way in and had lots of fresh air. Some of the tender boats are more open than others. Can't speak for the water level on the river, other than it was low when we were there the 1st of April. They are entering the "rainy season" so it may be up a bit. I would read the posts here and decide which group to go with. I used Coral Breeze and loved every minute of the day. I had my 73 year old mom along and they went out of their way to help her the entire day. Have a great time!

Regarding seasickness: Watch the horizon or the shore. Don't stare at the waves.

I think the last time we were in Belize I timed the return to the ship at 17 minutes. The tenders usually load pretty quickly and really move out :eek:

I think the last time we were in Belize I timed the return to the ship at 17 minutes. The tenders usually load pretty quickly and really move out :eek:

I don't get it. Some people have indicated that the tenders take 45 minutes. Others,like yourself, have said about 20 minutes. Does it depend on sea conditions, wind, loading times? I'd sure like to know so I can plan a bit better. BTW, how often do the tenders run and is there more than just one or two?

thanx

thank you everyone for your inputs. When i mentioned we had to tender to my wife, she got really freaked out and don't want to be seasick the rest of the day. So for seasickness, it's better to be outdoor/open air rather than indoor? We'll just keep our focus on the shoreline as others have mentioned.

Now we just have to figure out a way to get to the front of the tender queue somehow.

I don't get it. Some people have indicated that the tenders take 45 minutes. Others,like yourself, have said about 20 minutes. Does it depend on sea conditions, wind, loading times? I'd sure like to know so I can plan a bit better. BTW, how often do the tenders run and is there more than just one or two?

thanx

There may be several factors causing the difference.

My timing was from the time we shoved off the dock at Belize until we tied up to the ship. If you count wait time to load the tender it can be significantly greater.

The anchorage area for cruise ships is quite a distance from shore. In general the tenders are smaller, faster, and more numerous than at other tender ports. I believe that I have seen some larger boats being used to tender but we have never had one.

Certainly, weather will have an effect on the time.

I never really checked how often the tenders run. It seemed like there was one leaving every 10-15 minutes.

Charlie

Now we just have to figure out a way to get to the front of the tender queue somehow.
"If you don't ask, you won't get."

Go to the guest relations desk and tell them that you (or DW) have a severe problem with motion sickness. Explain that you are using the medication that your doctor gave you but are "Concerned about the tender ride and don't want to spoil it for the others on the tender".

The cruise line should have an interest in your not starting a "domino effect" of seasickness on the tender :eek:

See what they say and good luck,

Charlie

Archived