Help a first time Carnival Cruiser!

shandora

Ok so I went on my first cruise in November. It was on the Disney Dream and that was all it took for me to get sucked into cruising. I am planning on another cruise this November with My hubby, Parents, and sisters. No kids this time!! Anyways, I am the planner of this little get-to-gether and I'm driving myself crazy trying to make the right decisions. I know that this cruise is going to be totally different than our Disney cruise and I'm ok with that. What I need help with is deciding between the Legend and the Miracle. I have read many reviews and so much info is swimming through my head. I'm looking for your opinons now. If you had to pick between the two, which would you pick and why? Or would you pass on both. Thanks in advance!

Glad you liked your cruise well enough to sail again. I have been on 10 Carnival cruises and have enjoyed them all, also have done NCL and had a great time too. As for the Legend vs the Miracle, I have sailed on them both, most recently the Miracle. I remember two thing, I thought the Miracle was easy to get around and the crew was exceptional. I like to try a new or different ship each time, but have not found any ship I didn't care for. I think the destination would be important too. Have fun with your research I enjoy the planning part as it kind of stretches out the vacation. Lydia of Ohio

We were recently on the Legend and found it easy to get around, smaller than the Triumph, crew was exceptional, food was good and we had a terrific time. I would agree with the PP, select where you want to go and then choose the ship.

Ok so I went on my first cruise in November. It was on the Disney Dream and that was all it took for me to get sucked into cruising. I am planning on another cruise this November with My hubby, Parents, and sisters. No kids this time!! Anyways, I am the planner of this little get-to-gether and I'm driving myself crazy trying to make the right decisions. I know that this cruise is going to be totally different than our Disney cruise and I'm ok with that. What I need help with is deciding between the Legend and the Miracle. I have read many reviews and so much info is swimming through my head. I'm looking for your opinons now. If you had to pick between the two, which would you pick and why? Or would you pass on both. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this doesnt sound too helpful! But BOTH ships are in the same class(SPIRIT CLASS) so same layout with a diff. decor, what ports are you thinking or have in mind, also how much is the flight since they both have diff. homeports and cruise price? AND WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC :)

Since you are looking to sail in November, you will have two completely different ports to choose from. As of April 2012, the Miracle is moving from Fort Lauderdale to New York for year-round sailings from this port. The Legend's home port is Tampa.

Look closely at the itineraries available, work out the cost of travel (drive or air etc), and choose what is most suitable !

As you can see in my history below, I have been on the Miracle 3x with a 4th coming up in March...love this class of ship, and specifically love the Miracle :)

Good luck with the planning :D

Thanks for all the help. The Miracle is out of New York and it is 8 days and it has ports in Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. The Legend is out of Tampa and has ports in Cozumel, Belize, somewhere else..lol, and Grand Caymen.

Which port we leave from is not an issue for us and I went to the Bahamas with Disney so I would be fine with the other one. My main concern is that i will pick the wrong one for the rest of the family and then they will be turned off and it would be all my fault. Not likely to happen but it's these crazy thoughts that keep me up at night..lol

Since you're planning on going in November, I'd pass on the one out of NYC. It won't be exactly warm there I'm guessing.

Also, Freeport and Nassau...no thanks!!

I'd choose Legend. Warmer climate and much better ports.

Thanks for all the help. The Miracle is out of New York and it is 8 days and it has ports in Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. The Legend is out of Tampa and has ports in Cozumel, Belize, somewhere else..lol, and Grand Caymen.

Which port we leave from is not an issue for us and I went to the Bahamas with Disney so I would be fine with the other one. My main concern is that i will pick the wrong one for the rest of the family and then they will be turned off and it would be all my fault. Not likely to happen but it's these crazy thoughts that keep me up at night..lol

Legend out of Tampa then would be my winner! The ports are more exotic then a Bahamas cruise(nothing wrong with the Bahamas just saying) Plus it will be warmer to swim in the ocean at that time of the year! There alot more activities/tours in Cozymel Grand Caymen, & Belize as well! Plus the sea days wont be as warm for deck activities on the Miracle out of NY!

We just got off the Legend. That "Other" port that it goes to is Roatan, Honduras. And it was our favorite port of all. It's a beautiful island with absolutely gorgeous beaches. Do lots of research on them all to pick what you want to do. But as far as Roatan, I highly recommend skipping Carnival's private beach that's right there next to the ship (Mahogany Bay) and hiring a private guide to take you to see what you'd like to see in Roatan. We went through Victor Bodden tours and Tex was our guide (highly recommend asking for him). For 4 or more people, it was $25 per person (we also tipped $25 per couple). They are VERY reputable and you'll find a lot of info about them on the Roatan boards. We took a tour of the island, went to our guides house and watched the dolphins that are just feet from his dock perform at the marine sanctuary. We went to the monkey farm and held Monkey's & Macaw's and got to see Anteaters, Lemurs, deers and other wildlife there. We went to West End and walked the streets stopping to shop and to eat some local fare called Baleada's (Honduran version of soft taco) and Pastilillo's (Honduran version of an Empanada) at Chapi Catrachas. Total for food & beverages for hubby and I was $7. We then went to Infinity Bay Resort on West Bay and sat at their restaurant there out on the beach and had Nacho's & local beer while watching the waves roll in. We then took a short walk on the beautiful beach there before heading back to the ship. It was an awesome day. Not to take away from Grand Cayman (did snorkeling & swimming with Stingrays there as well as spent some time at Royal Palm Beach Club on 7 Mile Beach), Cozumel (went to Nachi Cocum all inclusive beach club there) and Belize (went to Bannister Island for the day, but turned out to be cold & rainy :confused:). The Legend was a great ship and so much easier to get around on than some of the Carnival ships we've been on. Have a great cruise.

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for all of the fast replies and great info. It's looking like we will probably do the Legend since the ports seem way better. I have just found the ports of call board and i'm making my way through them. I'm driving my poor mom crazy becaue I'm calling every five minutes when i get new information..lol. No one else on this trip has ever been on a boat (making sure to pack the seasick meds :)) and a few have never been that far out of Michigan. I just want to make it the best possible trip.

I third the suggestion of Victor Bodden tours - something for everyone and since you have a few people together will have your own tour and can go anywhere you want - it will be great!! Swimming with the stingrays is a must at Grand Cayman - I am not a fan of snorkeling but really enjoyed going to Stingray City - nothing like it and it is also good for all ages/interests. Cavetubing in Belize is pretty cool - I was in charge of the two group excursions in Roatan and Belize (used cavetubing dot bz) and the other two couples were so happy with the choices they bought my husband and me lunch and drinks at Roatan for making the arrangements. I was also stressed because I was planning for two other couple and my picky husband, but they all had a blast on both days! The only thing I have done the two times I have been to Cozumel was hang out down town and drink and eat at Carlos and Charlies - so don't have very good advice on that port but if I go again on another cruise with fewer new ports and less sightseeing I would like to see the ruins there. Have heard good things, but with doing all the other activities a full day at the ruins and 3 other long port days would have just been too much for us.

We loved this Western itinerary and I think your family will too. Just don't try to do too much or everyone will be exhausted. With all 4 ports being one after another I was happy I had done the stingray excursion at GC on a prior cruise so could use that day as a 'sea' day, but it was the first port, so still had 3 days in a row of running around.

Have fun planning and as long as everyone knows it is optional to partake in any excursions it will be fine. There will be something for everyone of all tastes. My husband really is difficult to please but even he has fun because if nothing else, there is a poker table for the evenings and sea days as he is not into hanging out in the sun or participating in some of the more 'cheesy' activities. Have a great trip!!! And if you have a chance, post a review so we can see how much fun your family had!!

Hands down: the Legend! I have sailed the Legend and the Miracle, but all three of those trips were the same itinerary that the Legend is sailing now.

The Legend itinerary has so much more to offer than the Miracle.

You've got Grand Cayman where you can go to Stingray City and touch wild stingrays, or the Turtle Farm, or beautiful Seven Mile Beach or Rum Point.

You've got Belize where you can go cave tubing or see the Mayan Ruins. You've got Cozumel, where you can go snorkeling, sightseeing, swim with the dolphins, go to the Mainland to Xcaret, or hire a driver for a private tour of the island.

And then you've got Roatan: one of my favorite ports. Get away from the cruiseline beach and take an excursion over to Tabyana Beach for some of the best snorkeling and a gorgeous beach. There is also ziplining nearby that you can hit on the way if that's your thing.

I love sailing out of Tampa too. It is so convenient. Check out the Big Cat Rescue that is nearby, or the aquarium right at the port if you have a chance.

Also, they have redone the Adult Serenity Deck on the Legend. It is REALLY nice, with hammocks, couches, and clam shells....no kids allowed! Ahhhh. I'd like to be there right now.

As for the Miracle, it would be cool to sail out of New York, but two stops in the Bahamas, and one stop in Ft Lauderdale just don't compare to the four awesome ports you get on the Legend.

Not to take anything away from the Victor Bodden tours, but we did a private tour on Roatan with Rony's Tours and had Rony himself as our driver and guide. Could not have asked for better! He worked on a cruise ship in Alaska for a few years, so he is knowledgeable and speaks good English. He also charges $25.00 per person for 4 or more people. Even though the weather wasn't the greatest when we were in Roatan, we got in some awesome snorkeling! The water was still nice and warm the first week of December in all the ports, too, except Grand Cayman. That port was closed due to the high winds, so I don't know how warm the water was. I think you will be very happy with the Legend as your choice!

You picked the best class of Carnival ships. Have been on all 4 of the SPIRIT class ships. The Legend is beautiful. You've picked the best itinerary of the two also. You'll have a great time with a warm weather start. The ports are just great. Have a wonderful cruise.:)

Ok guys we are booking on the Legend! I'm getting super excited and wish it was November already. Thanks again for all of your tips and the great opinions. Is anyone else booked on the November 25th sailing? Time to hit the roll call boards.

Besides looking at Carnival sponsored excursions on islands, we also look on the site called trip advisor = hundreds of reviews for carribean things to do, places to eat, etc!

Just make sure that you get back on the ship 30 minutes to 1 hour early for boarding from the ports

I can't believe Port Canaveral is a port. Not much to do in Freeport. Legend has a much better itinerary. Sailing the Atlantic from NY is rough at times.

Archived