Independent day tour in Falmouth, April 2012 any suggestions?????

cruisingbooboo

Hi we are a group of 6, 4 adults and 2 teens. We are coming in on the Oasis into Falmouth. We enjoy a combination of history, nature, beach, adventure and shopping. We have done DRF and don't feel the need to go back. Many times I have used C.C's reccomended tour guide, and I need your help again!!!!!!!

I look forward to hearing the good, bad and the ugly :)

Thanks again !!!

Haven't been to Falmouth yet, but plan on using Marva Shaw when we go for Thanksgiving this year. I've used her in the past when we were visiting Ocho Rios - she was fantastic! My parents and siblings have been to Jamaica since I've been, and they fell in love with Marva too. She's a wonderful, friendly guide with great customer service skills. You can find her at http://www.knowjamaica.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experience with Marva - just let me know. Also, I have a review in my Mariner link in my signature, if you're interested in that.

We did a quick tour of Falmouth, then she took us to some vantage points for picture taking, went to the White Witch, then on to Mo bay for more site seeing, some shopping(some particular things we wanted), down to JB's margaretaville for more pics, left mo bay and headed towards Falmouth, stopped at Scotchies for lunch(the locals hangout for "jerk"), back to Falmouth. Around 4 hrs.+.:)

Hey - we're trying to figure out Jamaica for next month as well. We'd like to do Dunns, Green Grotto Caves, and maybe Tubing, with some lunch, shopping, beach, and whatever else we have time for. I've got a group of 7 (2 adults, 5 kids age 4-12.)

I sent an inquiry to Marva Shaw, Courtney Taylor, and Patrice, and got a very quick response from Marva and Courtney. Prices were $45 for the day for Marva and $35 for Courtney for adults, $35 and $30 for kids. I'll wait to hear back from Patrice, and we'll decide which one to go with! Both of them are willing to customize the experience however we'd like, and it sounds like they know of some great sites to visit no matter what you're interested in.

We were a group of 8 ( 4 adults and 4 teens) and we used Courtney Taylor.

I contacted him online and he was very quick with replies.

We booked a car and driver (ask for Mellow specifically).

They waited for us even if we were 1 hr late getting off the ships ( the teens wer all girls.... so you will understand why we were late).

Depending on what you like, he will try to satisfy you.

We went to White Witch, then to Montego Bay (Doctor's Cave Beach). The weather was cold so we walk around, not on the beach it self. But I was assured that if you want to spend time at the beach, the driver will stay and even keep all your belongings locked in the car safely.

Mellow was very courteous and patient. Courtney's price was lower than Peat's and more open to changes.

We will definetely use him again if we go back to Falmouth, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios (he works from all 3 ports).

If you need his e-mail or website, just post back here and I'll post it back.

Hi Stefanny, please send me his email, I think I'd like to heard towards Mo Bay because it's about 15 min closer than Ocho Rios, what is White Witch? I LOVE the beach but my family, only for a few hours, is there anything to do at the beach? Sports? Snorkeling? Was there food or a bar there? I have to keep all parties involved happy, thanks for your tips !

QUOTE=stefanny28;31969647]We were a group of 8 ( 4 adults and 4 teens) and we used Courtney Taylor.

I contacted him online and he was very quick with replies.

We booked a car and driver (ask for Mellow specifically).

They waited for us even if we were 1 hr late getting off the ships ( the teens wer all girls.... so you will understand why we were late).

Depending on what you like, he will try to satisfy you.

We went to White Witch, then to Montego Bay (Doctor's Cave Beach). The weather was cold so we walk around, not on the beach it self. But I was assured that if you want to spend time at the beach, the driver will stay and even keep all your belongings locked in the car safely.

Mellow was very courteous and patient. Courtney's price was lower than Peat's and more open to changes.

We will definetely use him again if we go back to Falmouth, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios (he works from all 3 ports).

If you need his e-mail or website, just post back here and I'll post it back.

Hi cruisingbooboo;

We were supposed to go to Doctor's Cave Beach and did agree with Courtney Taylor for the car and driver for the whole day for $20/person.

But it was very windy and cold so we told the driver (Mellow) to just drive us around and stop at a few stop on the way to Montego Bay to see the sights and take some pictures.

We were not interested in architecture or history so he took us to White Witch Club House which is a golf course associated with the Ritz Carlton. If anyone in your group plays golf, you should go there. It is a gorgeous place, and you can play anytime, without reservation.

They have clubs and shoes for rental if you don't want to bring yours.

Then Mellow drove us to Montego Bay to shop around. We bought some Blue Mountain coffee.

Whatever the price they quote you, make sure to bargain it down by at least 30%. the worse they can say is no but don't just say yes at the first price they quote.

We went to Doctor's Cave Beach, but did not go in since it was a cold and windy day but if you want to spend sometimes at the beach, I believe the entrance fee is $5/person and there are chairs for rental and food/beverage.

There are tons of restaurants around the beach, on the street which is called Margaritaville.

Be sure to try the iced cold Blue Mountain coffee. It is so good and refreshing.

I am not sure if the snorkeling is good at Doctor's cave Beach but I am sure there are others on this board who can help you with that.

The e-mail for Courtney is courtney_tay@yahoo.com

Make sure to ask for mellow specifically. He is about 6'4 tall so you can not miss him.

I am sure that Courtney has other drivers who are also very nice but since we spend the day with Mellow, and I can tell you for sure you will not be disappointed.

Make sure to tell him what you are interested in and he will try to please you.

Mellow is a hard working man and he is trying to make a living for his family.

I don't believe he gets paid a full week but only on the days that he works for Courtney and Courtney has a full list of other drivers so everyone gets his turn and it means that some weeks, Mellow will only work one or two days at most.

Just to give you an example: I really wanted some fresh coconut juice and he drove around until he found a stand that sell them to make sure that I will not go back without having one. By the way, coconuts cost around $2 for one. At the shopping pier, they sell them for $4...

I hope all this help, if you have more question fell free to e-mail me at stefannytran28@gmail.com

No, we did not golf at White Witch but if you want to, you should. The course is gorgeous. Did I tell you it is usually reserved for the Ritz guests but if you are there, the staff is very, extremely accommodating.

Margaritaville is a little stretch of road next to Doctor's Cave Beach with restaurants and shops. The kids and teens will like it.

My advice is to shop a little bit in the pier craft market to know the price before going in town. Some of the things (like braided bracelets) were cheaper in the port.

We toured Jamaica with Peat Taylor earlier this month and had a fantastic, and full, day! We went to Dunn's River Falls and the Irie Blue Hole. We had lunch at Scotchies...the best Jerk BBQ we've ever had! He also stopped for photos and shopping. I'd highly recommend them! Our friend made a video of the day, you can find it on you tube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=DE#/watch?v=wJmKXkyS8T4

Enjoy your day!

• 1 month later...

We (a Party of 7) recently returned from our Royal Caribbean Cruise that departed on February 17th from New Orleans on the Voyager of the Seas. For our port stop at Falmouth, Jamaica I booked a day tour with Patrice Bailey because she was highly recommended on this site. Patrice was amazing. She called me after I had contacted her by email and she showed us a great time in Jamaica. Her driver for the day, Jeff was a kick. (She had a driver this day due to some car issues). We chose to see Ocho Rios, but were not interested in Dunes River Falls. She took us to some historical sites, Ferngully, a beautiful Garden Tour, some shopping, a snack at a local Juicy Burger, a stop at a beach to get our feet wet, a fabulous lunch at a Jerk restaurant and a tour around Falmouth and back to the craft market in plenty of time to board the ship. Patrice listened to all of our interests and made it happen. She told us a lot about Jamaica, some good jokes, gave us good recommendations on what to see, and just made our day in Jamaica enjoyable. We will definitely be in touch with Patrice on our return visit to Jamaica. Contact her at patbailey52@yahoo.com:)

After reading these posts, I'm interested in setting up a tour. It will be me (47), DH (56) and our 10yo DS. I am out of shape and have no interest in Dunns River Falls. However, what are somethings that our 10yo might enjoy? We will dock in Falmouth and would live to hire a driver but I'm at a loss of what to tell them we're interested in. Suggestions?

You could go to Mobay to this place.http://www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/welcome_montegobay.html

They have a great water slide area, you can sip one while watching your 10 yo. Check out the photos link.

Also right at the Falmouth port they have a pirate adventure, there are threads here about it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584109

• 5 weeks later...
Hi we are a group of 6, 4 adults and 2 teens. We are coming in on the Oasis into Falmouth. We enjoy a combination of history, nature, beach, adventure and shopping. We have done DRF and don't feel the need to go back. Many times I have used C.C's reccomended tour guide, and I need your help again!!!!!!!

I look forward to hearing the good, bad and the ugly :)

Thanks again !!!

We had a great time riverboading on the Rio Bueno,( myself and 2 teenaged sons ages 16 and 13). We were picked up at the cruise port Falmouth, Jamaica in a newer van and taken to the Rio Bueno. Great tour guides, $65 per person. You can also do whitewater rafting, and kayaking at the same place/ same time. Total excursion time 3 hours, total time riverboarding 90 minutes. Great van ride back to the port. Time at the end to spend on a nice whitesand beach. Water was refreshing, not too cold. There were all ages (10 years old to 55 years old) and everyone had a great time on the river. There is more detailed information on this forum. Search for riverboarding.:)

We went with Courtney Taylor in February, and it was awesome! We did Dunns River Falls twice, then white river tubing, and finally green grotto caves. We stopped at Juicy Patty's for lunch. The tours were a lot of fun, and Courtney is a very charismatic and fun guide!

• 4 months later...

We just placed a $10 deposit with Courtney Taylor tours. He responded to my email inquiry within two minutes and then a minute later asked to "friend" me on Facebook. Then he quickly answered several of my questions. I have a good vibe about him! Very responsive and very friendly.

Archived