No longer upgrading for on board bookings?

pbs14

My understanding is that if you book a specific cruise while on board, you get a reduced deposit and some OBC. I've heard some conflicting responses and wanted to double check about whether they'll upgrade you within category.

Here's what we're hoping to do:

While on the Adventure of the Seas, we'd like to book a Celebrity Summit 7 nighter, balcony (hopefully C3- lowest concierge class) for next March...what should be expect as an offer? Would they offer a C1 perhaps?

Thanks so much!!

btw--we're not platinum or anything.

My understanding is that if you book a specific cruise while on board, you get a reduced deposit and some OBC. I've heard some conflicting responses and wanted to double check about whether they'll upgrade you within category.

Here's what we're hoping to do:

While on the Adventure of the Seas, we'd like to book a Celebrity Summit 7 nighter, balcony (hopefully C3- lowest concierge class) for next March...what should be expect as an offer? Would they offer a C1 perhaps?

Thanks so much!!

btw--we're not platinum or anything.

Booking a Celebrity gets you reduced deposit, an OBC dependent on length of cruise, no balcony discount, but you do get a category upgrade within that category.

Why would you book a category lower than what you want? I find it unrealistic to except an upgrade.

sent using tapatalk

Because that is how Celebrity handles their bookings.

Thank you so much for the replies. Yes, I've heard (albeit, some contradictory) that the upgrades within category are what Celebrity offers...per my example book a c3 and get the complimentary upgrade to the c1. We'd actually be happy with any C class, so if they're not doing upgrades anymore, we're fine with that.

Thanks again!

Is the upgrade a promotion or is it always available when you book onboard? Are you still able to choose your cabin?

That's how Celebrity handles their bookings because they do not offer balcony discounts. And you still get a max of 3 cruise credits on Celebrity.

We've sailed the Summit twice. Actually just came off the last New Years cruise before Solticizing.

Book a C1 aft. Incredible huge balcony. The M class ship aft balconies are like no other. If they are offering an upgrade you will get the price of a C2 or C3 depending on how many category upgrades they are offering. Like someone else said, book what you want and accept the pricing for the lower category.

When we were on the Summit first time, we booked another C1 and they were offering a 2 category upgrade so we received the pricing of a C3.

You'll love the Summit.

No, this no longer happens.

When I booked Rhapsody while onboard Liberty back in 2010 I was given a Cat F for the price of a Cat H PLUS OBC of $200. However, when I went to book a specific cruise while onboard Radiance at the end of 2010 I was told by the loyalty ambassador that onboard bookings ONLY gave OBC and reduced deposit now. They're not doing the cabin upgrades anymore.

Sorry.

No, this no longer happens.

When I booked Rhapsody while onboard Liberty back in 2010 I was given a Cat F for the price of a Cat H PLUS OBC of $200. However, when I went to book a specific cruise while onboard Radiance at the end of 2010 I was told by the loyalty ambassador that onboard bookings ONLY gave OBC and reduced deposit now. They're not doing the cabin upgrades anymore.

Sorry.

Rhapsody is a Royal Caribbean ship We're discussing Celebrity.

Booking a Celebrity gets you reduced deposit, an OBC dependent on length of cruise, no balcony discount, but you do get a category upgrade within that category.

Because that is how Celebrity handles their bookings.

Patti is correct, and I have done this twice booking on board an RCCL cruise. You can book either RCCL or Celebrity on either line's ships. For the Celebrity upgrade, I think it starts at Cat 11. So, you book/pay for the lower category and get a two category upgrade. This is with a Elite loyalty status on Celebrity..

Is the upgrade a promotion or is it always available when you book onboard? Are you still able to choose your cabin?

For Celebrity, yes. You book and select your (upgraded) cabin, and are charged the price for 2 categories lower, pay $100 per person deposit, and get the obc.

What I like about this is it's good for lower category cabins, while RCCL's balcony discount is only good for balcony cabins.

Cruisenfever or Pcur; I booked a celebrity cruise while on Royal's Majesty of the Seas in August. We booked a C3 and got the reduced deposit and the $100.00 OBC but was told that we could not get the upgrades. We are Diamond on Royal and the Cruise Consultant that booked the cruise for us actually called and got our Elite status numbers for Captain's Club while doing the booking. I guess the question is " what: if anything can we do about this now? The cruise booking is for the celebrity Summit April 2013.

This is from Celebrity Captain's Club :

spacer.gifOne-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for inside-to-inside or outside-to-outside staterooms, depending on availability. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Suites, ConciergeClass and verandas excluded. Not valid on holiday sailings or Reunion Cruises. Celebrity Century, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Summit and Celebrity Constellation: Upgrades available from categories 11-4.

You want to actually pay for the Cat 4 and get the Cat 3. Otherwise, you will have to pay for a Cat 5 and get a Cat 4.

As wieslaw shows above, your Cat 3 isn't qualified for the upgrade.

If you want to do this, then since the upgrades are available prior to sailing, and you have booked so far in advance, is to call either the TA you transferred the booking to, or Celebrity's Captain's Club. Tell them you AND THE PERSON BOOKING THIS FOR YOU ON THE SHIP were unfamiliar with the upgrade policy, and that you want to change your ressie to reflect the upgrade. They will explore your options.

The LA on the ship booking for you should have done this for you, but I have found the RCCL bookers on the ship aren't very familiar with this Celebrity booking policy.

Pcur, thanks, for the response. I guess what confuses me is that on Summit the upgrade is good on Category 11 through 4. This is inside throught ocean view. This does not include veranda category which comes before the concierge class staterooms. So how could anyone booking even a veranda category get the upgrade?

Archived