June 9 Eastbound Transatlantic on QM2

Paul NH

A meeting would be nice. Of course, I believe we will most likely end up spotting each other long before the first night is over. Two families, each with two young boys should be an easy mark!

Paul: This is probably the last day I'll be checking the board. I am I quickly getting ready to go into shut down mode. If I miss the location and time, we can be reached in 6187/6189. We are Dan and MaryEllen Zenka.

June 9 Passengers,

Since this thread went into a second page right after I posted it, I am bringing this prior message forward onto the second page for better visibility ...

It looks like the following board members will be with us on this voyage:

Paul NH

nyckruzer

pinwillow

slsman

Debra611

mariella225

DanZ

cruiseteacher (likely, unconfirmed)

If there is anyone else, please post. If everyone is open to meeting somewhere on the ship, let us all know.

Regards,

Paul

Paul: This is probably the last day I'll be checking the board. I am I quickly getting ready to go into shut down mode. If I miss the location and time, we can be reached in 6187/6189.
Dan, we will look you up during the trip, and if others here from the board are interested in meeting, we will get a hold of you before the get-together.

Paul

The Cruise Critic Board (CCB) Members will be meeting in the Winter Garden at 2 p.m. on Friday, near the piano. Are there any other CCB visitors who will be with us on this voyage that are not listed below? So far we have:

Paul NH

nyckruzer

pinwillow

slsman

Debra611

mariella225

DanZ

cruiseteacher

Considering I am working right up to Wednesday afternoon, this weekend is a big get-my-act-together couple of days. Looking forward to the "hub bub" leading up to departure.

Paul

Well, it is 5:30 a.m. here in New England and we are preparing to leave in a couple of hours to drive down to Manhattan. It rained and thundered much of last night and this morning is very humid, almost foggy, with the forecast in the 90s.

The suspense is great, inclusive of the logistics. We will need to drive about four hours to the city, get to a garage just south of central park to drop off a one-way rental car, then catch a taxi over to the piers.

I will let the board here know how our trip goes. Very excited!

Paul

Hi,

My wife and I were on the July 5, 2004 crossing and the ocean was like a sheet of glass. While you can't always be sure of the weather, the summer months are better for calm seas and the ship is very large and seaworthy. We've already booked passage for next summer.

Art

Well, it is 5:30 a.m. here in New England and we are preparing to leave in a couple of hours to drive down to Manhattan. It rained and thundered much of last night and this morning is very humid, almost foggy, with the forecast in the 90s.

The suspense is great, inclusive of the logistics. We will need to drive about four hours to the city, get to a garage just south of central park to drop off a one-way rental car, then catch a taxi over to the piers.

I will let the board here know how our trip goes. Very excited!

Paul

\

Paul, by now you are on your way! We hope to do a TA later this year, and are awaiting your review.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Pincus

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned last night from the UK and a wonderful crossing on the June 9 eastbound.

We departed NYC with sunny skies and 88 degree (F) temperatures. As soon as we sailed out if NY harbor and passed Coney Island, we hit fog for the next 24 hours and sailed smoothly with the ship's horn sounding regularly. Saturday we had higher winds with a slight chop and sunny skies. Sunday at 2:00 AM we began hitting 30 foot waves and gale force winds. Many passengers were off to the clinic for their injections and then slept through their Sunday. By cocktail time, conditions were settling and it was smooth sailing all the way. The final day at sea was smooth and very sunny--perfect for sitting in a deck chair and relaxing. For those wondering, not much pool weather unless you use the glass covered Pavilion Pool which is very nice. The Canyon Ranch Spa treatments and staff are wonderful and we also enjoyed the water treatments inside the spa.

There were 144 children on this voyage and the Kids/Teen Zone and its wonderful staff of British Nannies kept them throughly entertained. One night our 11 year old stayed out later than us as the programs lasted until midnight.

We were also able to visit the Ballroom and G32 disco until midnight with our boys. I personally loved seeing my 7 year old escourt a very elegant older woman out to the ballroom's dance floor for a spin with no coaxing on our part. Needless to say, he made quite an impression!

We found the Britannia Restaurant food and service to be excellent. I personally enjoy the grandeur of the main dining room to the smaller, more intimate spaces of the Princess and Queens Grills. The passengers in these dining rooms are offered very nice spaces that resemble well-appointed and sophisticated restaurants. They are also provided with a private Grill lounge and bar. The big downside is that the entrance to these areas is right next to the very busy and hectic Kings Grill which is like dining in a Las Vegas cafeteria or a busy train station. The Grill restraurants and lounge are also surrounded by the promenade deck which impairs their views and leaves them open to inquiring eyes as they dine. I can't imagine why these spaces for the top accommodation categories were designed with so little privacy and very underwhelming entrances. For those with children, the Kings Court is great for finding a wide variety of food at any time of the day. The Chef's Corner(?), where they do small cooking demo/dinners, offers a plated kid's menu until about 18:00 or 18:30.

In all, this was a fantastic voyage. I am interested in hearing from others who were also on this sailing with me.

Dan

Paul and DanZ,

How was the dancing? Did you and your brides have fun? DanZ, I loved reading the story about your little boy asking someone to dance!

For both of you - Three formal nights on the crossing? Did the ladies wear mostly long or short dresses - sparkly or tailored? I realize that you gents may not have paid attention to these details, but please ask your wives and let me know!

Glad to hear you both enjoyed it - we are eagerly awaiting our documents for our July crossing. Thank you for all the information you shared!

Ciao!

Hi Ciao:

The dancing was wonderful! My wife and I, at the urging of our boys, came in second in the swing dance contest. We lost out to a charming couple who actually lived though the era. We loved the fact that the ballroom is right in front of the G32 disco so you could flow back and forth as the mood suits. I would say that the majority of those who dressed well gravitated to G32 and the Queens Room ballroom after dinner.

Yes, plan on three formal nights. My wife wore two long gowns and a very dressy cocktail dress with nice formal accessories. The range was from sparkly to flowing. Of course, as I might have said earlier, there were a handful who mistakenly believed that an evening purse could somehow magically transform a pair of black slacks and a somewhat ordinary blouse into a formal look. I'm afraid they were grossly mistaken.

Don't miss pre-dinner cocktails in the Commodore Club on Deck 9. It overlooks the bow, provides stunning views, and has a great martini menu. I also enjoyed sitting there in the afternoon reading my book with a good cappucino and/or brandy close at hand. Not many folks seem to get there and it's a very calming atmosphere!

Though we didn't have much weather for promenading around the deck in the moonlight before retiring, you can look forward to many wonderful memories.

You'll have to let us know about your crossing!

Dan

Archived