Vancouver nonexpensive hotels

Vancouver hotels are always pretty expensive but tend to hit their zenith during the summer and cruise season....much like the Florida ports during the winter. However, you could watch Hotwire often the Sheraton at the Wall Centerer and the Pan Pacific are available at about the $135 mark. You can bid on Priceline staying in the Vancouver Downtown-West area for in the $135 to $150 range. Other hotels to check for advanced booking rates would be Hyatt, Marriott, Renaissance, Coast Hotels, Delta Hotels, Best Western-Downtown on Drake, the Blue Horizon, the Rosedale and maybe even the Westin.

The hotels that Princess has listed to stay at pre or post cruise are very expensive. Has anyone stayed anywhere else in Vancouver that was just a nice decent hotel for less money? Wondering about staying for 1 night after our cruise....

How inexpensive are you looking for?? If all you really want is a room, the YWCA Hotel (seriously) is not bad at all, family friendly, and well under $100 (and open to all). http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Other than that, people have a fair bit of luck on Priceline with 3* around $100, the sites like better bidding dot com can give you an idea what to bid.

Vancouver hotels are always pretty expensive but tend to hit their zenith during the summer and cruise season....much like the Florida ports during the winter. However, you could watch Hotwire often the Sheraton at the Wall Centerer and the Pan Pacific are available at about the $135 mark. You can bid on Priceline staying in the Vancouver Downtown-West area for in the $135 to $150 range. Other hotels to check for advanced booking rates would be Hyatt, Marriott, Renaissance, Coast Hotels, Delta Hotels, Best Western-Downtown on Drake, the Blue Horizon, the Rosedale and maybe even the Westin.

Thanks for the info!

How inexpensive are you looking for?? If all you really want is a room, the YWCA Hotel (seriously) is not bad at all, family friendly, and well under $100 (and open to all). http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Other than that, people have a fair bit of luck on Priceline with 3* around $100, the sites like better bidding dot com can give you an idea what to bid.

No thanks on the YMCA......just would like to stay under $200.....some of the ones I saw were closer to $300 or over $300.....was wondering if anyone had a hotel they've stayed at they could recommend for under $200.....

I just plugged in a late July date on Hotwire for 2 people and got two quotes - one a 4 star for $156 which could be the Hyatt or Sheraton and the other a Three star for $138.

That time of the year is exceptional busy in Vancouver with both the annual fireworks competition and gay pride taking place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

If you don't mind a bit of a bus ride, the UBC summer hotels have a great variety at good prices. Some are year round and some are student dorms prettied up for tourists.

http://www.ubcconferences.com/accommodations/west-coast-suites/

It's beautiful out here and close to the beaches, too. There's a good variety of cheap ethnic food nearby.

Viv

• 2 weeks later...
No thanks on the YMCA......just would like to stay under $200.....some of the ones I saw were closer to $300 or over $300.....was wondering if anyone had a hotel they've stayed at they could recommend for under $200.....

I'll actually second Scottbee on the YWCA hotel - it's where we stayed on our Vancouver vacation before moving here - but if you're adamant you want a touch more luxury there's a Hampton Inn and Sandman Inn almost next-door to the YWCA (right by BC Place stadium) and a Ramada at Pender & Richards.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation. I blew a great rate at the Pan Pacific a year in advance. Now the rate is $100 more! I am guessing they won't give me back that rate since I cancellled :( .

I since booked at the Best Western Plus downtown, but after doing a google earth street view walkabout, i am not sure I want to walk around that area of town. So now I am looking elsewhere where we can walk around and have shops/galleries to roam , keep it under $250 if possible and have narrowed my 3 star hotels to the following:

Blue Horizon

Rosedale

Renassaince

Listel

Hampton Inn and Sutes

Sunset Inn (although this looks a bit far from activity as well)

Can anyone estimate the cab fare to Canada Place from these hotels and/or give advice about the areas, etc?

Thank You

Anything specific about the area around the Best Western that you care to comment on.

I live two blocks away and can in fact see the hotel from my condo.

That said if you can get a good rate on the Sheraton then go for it.

Taxi fare from would be in the $ 10 to $ 12 range.

Cheers

Dennis

Please don't take offense. I am not knocking the neighborhood, I just was hoping for more shops, galleries and a pleasing to the eye neighborhood. I am seeing a "less vibrant" neighborhood than what I see on Robson when utilizing street view. Am I wrong?

If you are into shopping and uptempo stores then Robson or Yaletown would be my choice as well.

The area around the Best Western is at the top end of the entertainment district and currently has six construction cranes in the area as it transforms into more of a residental neighbourhood.

I didn't take it as an offense but as this is a hotel that I often recommend along with the attached White Spot restaurant I was curious as to why you were having second thoughts.

Cheers

Dennis

I am in the same situation. I blew a great rate at the Pan Pacific a year in advance. Now the rate is $100 more! I am guessing they won't give me back that rate since I cancellled :( .

I since booked at the Best Western Plus downtown, but after doing a google earth street view walkabout, i am not sure I want to walk around that area of town. So now I am looking elsewhere where we can walk around and have shops/galleries to roam , keep it under $250 if possible and have narrowed my 3 star hotels to the following:

Blue Horizon

Rosedale

Renaissance

Listel

Hampton Inn and Suits

Sunset Inn (although this looks a bit far from activity as well)

Can anyone estimate the cab fare to Canada Place from these hotels and/or give advice about the areas, etc?

Thank You

With what I sense you want to enjoy, I would suggest that all of the hotels you have listed including the Sheraton would be good bets. While I like the Renaissance it is a little out of the mix of things in more of an office building environment and maybe you could substitute it with the Hyatt Regency. I have never been a huge fan of the Listel but am the first to admit...for no good reason, it is just a bit west of things but arguably the Hampton the eastern anchor on Robson St. Nothing wrong with the Sunset but you have identified the issue you have with it and I would agree. With a hotel like the Hyatt or Renaissance you could actually walk to Canada Place, the Hampton has a free shuttle (and breakfast), with the rest of the hotels you would have about a $10 cab ride.

:)Thanks for everyones thoughts on the hotel situation. As it turns out I was able to get a decent AAA rate B&B deal at PanPacific with a late checkout. I am very pleased and look forward to experiencing this hotel!:)

We are arriving in Vancouver mid-afternoon on June 14th the day before our cruise. I wonder if it would be worth it $$ to book an airport hotel for that night and take a shuttle to the ship in the morning? We are not night life people so night clubs for the evening are not an option. We had a 2 day trolley pass last year, so we saw a lot of the city. Is there anything near the airport hotels and would safety be an issue?

Thanks. Marcia

Marcia;

Yes, as a rule you would save money by staying out by the airport and many of the major chains are located there. YVR is located in City of Richmond which borders Vancouver to the south and it is very safe. It has a large concentration of Chinese there so there are some excellent Chinese restaurants out there.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re STILL looking at a 4 star hotel on Hotwire in Downtown Vancouver West. :( There is one offered for $130 that I am guessing is the Westin Bayshore. It says there are restaurants near by but I am not familiar with any. If I recall correctly our shuttle picked up a couple there last year and it seemed out of the way. ???

Can you give any comments or suggestions. We need 2 rooms on June 14 for one night.

Thanks. :)

We’re STILL looking at a 4 star hotel on Hotwire in Downtown Vancouver West. :( There is one offered for $130 that I am guessing is the Westin Bayshore. It says there are restaurants near by but I am not familiar with any. If I recall correctly our shuttle picked up a couple there last year and it seemed out of the way. ???

Can you give any comments or suggestions. We need 2 rooms on June 14 for one night.

Thanks. :)

It's not too far from the rest of downtown (I've walked it from the cruise terminal many times), but right near the Bayshore there's a fabulous upscale place called LIFT right on the water.

Archived