Grand Princess honest opinions please

jenpet

We are considering a cruise on the Grand Princess in September & would welcome honest opinions please.

We have been spoilt by cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse, whish is a beautiful ship. Their itineries on UK departures are for cruises we have already done, so we are looking to other cruise lines.

We are looking for a modern, spacious cabin in a quiet location. Preferably on a cruise with no or very few children.

P&O ships seem a bit old & in need of refurbs/upgrades.

We are open to suggestions please on UK departures only, preferably fron Southampton & in September.

I was on Grand for 2 weeks in 12/2011. being Elite, I can say that the food was just okay, management staff seem to have a attitude issue especially in the dinning rooms. The condition of the ship was good but entertainment was hit or miss. Cruise in general was just ok.

We took our first two cruises on the Grand, but that was 2001/2, and we did the TA in 2008 (I think) on her also. We were happy on her, but she is one of the "older" ships and probably will not measure up to a newer ship from any line.

We are considering a cruise on the Grand Princess in September & would welcome honest opinions please.

We have been spoilt by cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse, whish is a beautiful ship. Their itineries on UK departures are for cruises we have already done, so we are looking to other cruise lines.

We are looking for a modern, spacious cabin in a quiet location. Preferably on a cruise with no or very few children.

We are open to suggestions please on UK departures only, preferably fron Southampton & in September.

We did the TA in May on the first cruise out of drydock. If you'd like to read a day by day blog, here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1409466

We are also boarding the Grand again on February 4th and have additional booking on her for 49 days January, 2013.

Maybe Crystal, Regent or Oceania? From what I understand, the Grand is wonderful, but you may be disappointed in the cabin. Although comfortable for most of us, I could not call it modern. Also, you may have to splurge for a suite if you require spacious!

We jsut got off the Grand after Christmas. We enjoyed it, but the room was not spacious. We were on Lido deck (Up on top.) We didn't hear noise, and we were right near the stairs. The Grand Suites were next to us- we never heard them next to us- we could hear people on the other side. once in a while- IF they were loud.

Food was fine on the Grand. I would say it wasn't as good as Celebrity, but a friend of mine was unhappy with Celebrity after her mid December crusie. She is a Travel Agent and said she thought that Princesses food was as good as celebrity in the main dining room, BUT celebrity had it in the speciality dining rooms.

Entertainment- we always found something to do- but we do fall asleep early and get up early, so I'm not the best to answer this!

I heard many good things about Oceania, maybe them? Good luck deciding!

Archived