Considering NCL Jewel in February

NJ04SS

Hey All,

Long time, I haven't been on here. I hope everyone had a great Holiday and I wish everyone a very Happy and Healthy New Year :D. However, I must admit I've been on a few Carnival cruises that have really blew my last NCL cruise out of the water. However, there is a NCL cruise that fits into our schedule so we are considering it, as we don't hate NCL - Carnival has just been much more fun and just over all great cruising. We are considering the 7 day NCL Jewel out of NYC in February to Florida and Bahamas. We have done the itenerary before, but we just need a vacation and we enjoy the stops. Just have a few questions...

We've been on the Dawn and Gem, is the Jewel as nice as either of those ships? (Nice meaning Clean, good crew, good food - I am aware all ships have different "styles")?

Any tips/secrets on the Jewel? Places to go on the decks, things to do early on in the trip, tips for what shows to see or when to get to the shows, ect?

Do they still have the same white hot party? (To be honest, its old after the first time, yet alone again and again and again..lol.)

How has the comedy been on NCL?

In general, how has the entertainment been?

The one thing I LOVE about NCL is the Freestyle "anytime dining".

Any change in the food or anything on NCL? Do they still serve lobster one night?

Do they still have 24 hour blue lagoon?

Any info is greatly appreciated...

Thanks again,

We loved the Jewel.

Yes, the Blue Lagoon is still open & serves a great breakfast as well as comfort food. They will box up anything you order for 'take-out' and we did this lots of times for their wings & fries. Try their brownie sundae.

The Great Outdoors is located at the very back of the ship. Just walk through the buffet to the end and there it is. They have a bar & buffet back there as well & it's a lovely place to eat or just sit & relax.

As you're walking through the buffet to get there, stop at the soft serve ice cream machine on the right. My husband was a fan of filling up our thermal mug then pouring hot coffee over it. Yum.

The Jewel buffet has a really terrific salad bar. So many fresh choices. They will also make you a fresh hot pizza, just ask.

The Java Cafe has coffee drinks like Starbucks (for a fee), but all the pastries & goodies located in the display cases are free. No, you don't need to buy a beverage to get them. The Java is also a full bar in case you'd like your coffee with a kick.

All the shows were very good & they did have the White Hot Party & chocolate buffet. Just check your 'Daily' for the exact day & times.

We thought the ship was pretty, it was clean and the staff was wonderful. Not once did any staff member pass us without asking if we were have a nice time.

Try the Specialty Restaurants. Although I didn't like Teppanyaki that much, I did love Chin-Chin & Cagneys. By the way, in Teppanyaki I think my main problem was the enterr I chose. More noodles than I thought with very little chicken. It tasted fine but wasn't what I expected. My favorite was Mama's Italian. I still crave their Roasted Chicken Pizza. We ate there 3 times I loved it so much.:D

One day they did offer a 2 for 1 at the Specialty Restaurants (Cagney's & Teppanyaki not included). Again, the 'Daily' will have the day & times. Be aware that the offer usually ends at 6:30 pm or so.

Since you have been on the Dawn & Gem, you're all set. The Jewel is just about the same.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for all the great info. I won't eat at Cagneys, I thought it was disgusting, had a horrible meal there and I won't try it again to be honest. However, everything else seems good! How are the pools? It looks like they have a slide - is it descent? I know its leaving in February, but you never know if you hit a nice warm day down south. Are the hot tubs open outside?

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the great info. I won't eat at Cagneys, I thought it was disgusting, had a horrible meal there and I won't try it again to be honest. However, everything else seems good! How are the pools? It looks like they have a slide - is it descent? I know its leaving in February, but you never know if you hit a nice warm day down south. Are the hot tubs open outside?

Thanks again

I went May 2010. I'm going again Feb 4th. I hope I will have the same fun experience.

Pool was fun. I think it was a 10ft salt water. Hot tubs were nice and hot. Band was awesome.

Spa was nice. They have deals throughout.

I went to Le Bistro and had their lamb, escargot and creme brulee. It was great, but my friend had that raspberry dessert and it was orgasmic!

Bingo was fun. That's b/c I won :D

We skipped GCS and went straight to Nassau and stayed overnight.

People were really friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

NJ04

I was on Jewel in Dec 2011. The only thing that Gem had while Jewel dosent was the bowling alley. I wish it was on that ship. Also after reading so many post on here, I found out that you can eat lunch in main dining room on embarkation day. Never knew this till after i got back. White Hot part is on the last night at sea. There was a lot of complaint in opinion wise on the blog saying it stink. I don't think so. It depend who you are and how the others cruise goers react to it. That party lasted three hours or more. All the shows was great. You may want to try Deal or No Deal. If you get call watch out for that penny all the way thru.

Archived