Ketchikan excursions

TallinnGirl

Check out the romantic package on the Ketchikan Outdoors webpage. I first read about them from a rave review by Assateague Island Princes on these boards. She is a knowledgeable cruiser who has posted often. We have this adventure booked for our upcoming cruise this summer, and we can't wait. It is totally different from any other excursion that we have seen!

Thanks for bringing this up. While I think I would end up drowning my DH ;) with the Romantic Package, the 4 hour and 2.5 hour tours look interesting. We did an TomCar tour in Aruba that is very similar (but obviously on land) - everyone has their own TomCar and then follows the leader - I think my DH would love to do that on the water! Who knows, maybe they'd allow us to let each of our kids drive the boat too!

I'll have to seriously think about doing this while we are there - although flightseeing with Michelle from Island Wings into the Misty Fjords is high priority right now. Guess we'll see if we have time to do both!

At the rate I'm going, the whole family is going to need a vacation from this vacation!:D

We did the "Deadliest Catch" tour in June. There were 10 in our party. We also were able to get good seats, lower deck under the heaters. It didn't seem that crowded. We got to hold all sorts of amazing sea creatures, and the crew lets you take as many pictures as you like. At the end of the tour they took our picture with Capt. Derrick, with OUR camera! It was our Christmas card this year.

We learned so much about this very important industry in Alaska and enjoyed the stories the crew told.

Haven't seen this lumberjack tour, but the tour is home based in Wisconsin and I am sure it is just like the one they do here as well. Yes, there will be corny jokes but kids will most likely love it and the skills they do developed out of a very real industry too.

We've taken a kayak tour in Ketchikan - Outstanding. Get to see everything from bald eagles, jellyfish, sea cucumbers, star fish and more. Make sure you look out for floatplanes as you paddle back.

Which company did you do this with and was it right from the dock? I am looking at Southeast Kayak and doing the 2 1/2 hour one from the dock....I like the idea of the shorter one because it sounds like there's more places to walking around and check out in the town, so we want plenty of time for that too.....the one from the dock mentions seeing starfish.....this is what caught my attention....I would love to see these creatures!

We are considering not booking any excursions in this port at all (as I can't seem to find one that I would REALLY like to do). I did not have this issue with the other ports...

This can be our laid back, relaxed day. We can walk Creek Street, go to the Totem Bight state park and see on the spot what other activities we might like to do

We are considering not booking any excursions in this port at all (as I can't seem to find one that I would REALLY like to do). I did not have this issue with the other ports...

This can be our laid back, relaxed day. We can walk Creek Street, go to the Totem Bight state park and see on the spot what other activities we might like to do

I kind of felt the same way about Ketchikan......we were thinking about the Lumberjack Show, but I'm really not that crazy about doing that....we saw one in Door County, Wisconsin, which was good, but I think I could skip it......

There is one thing that caught my eye though in Ketchikan, it's the Kayaking......there are some tours that say you will see star fish, and other sea wall creatures, and that is something I would love to do.....the better ones are 4 hours long, but I don't want to tie up that much of our time there.....want plenty of time for walking around the town and shops, etc......there is one with Southeast Sea Kayaks that is 2 1/2 hours straight from the dock and they say they see star fish......going to talk to the hubby about maybe doing this......

I read your original post, and we are also doing the Whale Watch tour with Harv and Marvs in Juneau......and in Skagway we are doing the White Pass Yukon Bus/Train tour through Chilkoot Charters and Tours, we will be taking the train up and joining them in a van/bus, going up into the Yukon to Emerald Lake, Carcross, etc....and back down.....

What line are you going on? We will be on the Sapphire Princess the 1st of August.....this is a trip for our 25th wedding anniversary which is August 7th and my 50th birthday in September......

We booked our Skagway tour through Princess...

I read reviews about the Lumberjack show and I think it would be fun for kids, not adults :) the adults did not seem impressed!

The Totem Bight you can visit for like $2 (by taking the city bus) vs the cruise line which charges you over $30 as entrance to the park is free...

We will be going to Alaska May 16th on the Island Princess

We booked our Skagway tour through Princess...

I read reviews about the Lumberjack show and I think it would be fun for kids, not adults :) the adults did not seem impressed!

The Totem Bight you can visit for like $2 (by taking the city bus) vs the cruise line which charges you over $30 as entrance to the park is free...

We will be going to Alaska May 16th on the Island Princess

I think someone said the Totem Bight Park is like a 3 hour trip on the city bus.....not sure, but I thought I read that on here somewhere....

DH and I did the Deadliest Catch tour two years ago and had a wonderful time. Watching the crew feed the eagles was spectacular. They wouldn't let anyone hold the crabs anymore as they did have a passenger injured when a crab clamped b=down on her finger and did significant damage.

It was a relaxing excursion. Very informative. As well as seeing the fishing by long line and seeing the various fish that were caught, they also showed us octopus, crabs, and prawns. We saw seals and a humpback whale while sailing back to Ketchican.

Rockfan2

We'll be on our 3rd Alaskan cruise in June; can't wait! We kind of like it there, haha! Ketchikan is probably my favorite city. You could spend the day just hanging out and exploring the town. I see where some people say the lumberjack show is geared toward kids but I would have to disagree. My husband and I loved it and thought it was quite fun! It gives you a little Alaskan flavor and is one of the more affordable excursions. I would definitely choose that over doing no excursion in Ketchikan. We also have done the zipline there and it was thrilling! It's the only zipline I have ever done so I have nothing to compare it to but I loved every minute of it! This time we will be bringing our kids and my husband's parents with us so we will probably do the deadliest catch excursion, or maybe just take them to see the lumberjack show. Whatever you decide, this is a great little town; I'm sure you will love it! Oh and to the person who mentioned driving to Emerald Lake - it would have to be done from the Skagway port. Please don't try it from Ketchikan ;)

We'll be on our 3rd Alaskan cruise in June; can't wait! We kind of like it there, haha! Ketchikan is probably my favorite city. You could spend the day just hanging out and exploring the town. I see where some people say the lumberjack show is geared toward kids but I would have to disagree. My husband and I loved it and thought it was quite fun! It gives you a little Alaskan flavor and is one of the more affordable excursions. I would definitely choose that over doing no excursion in Ketchikan. We also have done the zipline there and it was thrilling! It's the only zipline I have ever done so I have nothing to compare it to but I loved every minute of it! This time we will be bringing our kids and my husband's parents with us so we will probably do the deadliest catch excursion, or maybe just take them to see the lumberjack show. Whatever you decide, this is a great little town; I'm sure you will love it! Oh and to the person who mentioned driving to Emerald Lake - it would have to be done from the Skagway port. Please don't try it from Ketchikan ;)

If it was me, I did mention Emerald Lake as being in Skagway......maybe it was someone else.....I already want to go back to Alaska and I haven't even been there yet! LOL :)

YES< you do need to allow 3 hours if you take the city bus to Totem Bight. there is ONLY one bus per hour, and this allows for wait time, since, I am assuming you are NOT going to be right on the money for the bus pick up times. Therefore, I only recommend having a three hour window. This then allows time to also include Potlash Cache.

There is one thing that caught my eye though in Ketchikan, it's the Kayaking......there are some tours that say you will see star fish, and other sea wall creatures, and that is something I would love to do.....the better ones are 4 hours long, but I don't want to tie up that much of our time there.....want plenty of time for walking around the town and shops, etc......there is one with Southeast Sea Kayaks that is 2 1/2 hours straight from the dock and they say they see star fish...QUOTE]

for general information for others, the short kayak trips, just go up Creek Steet, and if you want to see star fish, all you have to do, is take a walk, at low tide along the marina. There are many outlets that allow you to walk under docks, all kinds of stuff under there clinging to footings of docks. Accessable areas are north of the tunnel, and along the marina east of the cruise ships, and if you are docked at the northern dock, you can look down under the upper docks.

YES< you do need to allow 3 hours if you take the city bus to Totem Bight. there is ONLY one bus per hour, and this allows for wait time, since, I am assuming you are NOT going to be right on the money for the bus pick up times. Therefore, I only recommend having a three hour window. This then allows time to also include Potlash Cache.

But this three hours includes including the bus ride there, exploring the park and coming back? Or does it just take to get to Totem Bight 3 hours on the bus?

We used Ketchikan as our relax day. We shopped for all our souviners, walked around and saw the totem poles and the salmon ladder. Checked out some of the cute little shops, and then had THE BEST crab legs at a the Fish house right next to where the Lumberjack show is. They split them long ways so you don't have to dig the meat out or even crack the shells. Oh, and hubby stopped in a bar to watch some football so he was happy

Our friends went fishing while we were there and then had the fish sent back. They got to eat the salmon they caught fresh for the next year. That's a cool conversation starter if I ever heard one

• 2 weeks later...

Last June DH and I had our first cruise to Alaska. In Ketchikan we went with Island Wings (Michelle) for the float plane tour. I was nervous about the small plane but this ended up being our favorite excursion..... highly recommend it!

This year I'm going back with a girlfriend and we've chosen the Kayaking tour with Southeast Sea Kayaking.

Good luck with your decision!

Marilyn

Archived