How much can we see in 6 days in Argentina?

cpgrneyes

We'll be cruising from BA to ending with 3 days in Rio for Carnival. We board the ship in BA on Thursday, but don't sail until Friday at 6 pm.

My thought is to fly into BA the previous Saturday or Sunday morning (dependant on when we can find FF tickets). We'd love to see Iguazu and Mendoza and have a couple of days to explore BA, but with the travel, I think we'd be spending more time getting there than we would be there and absorbing the place.

Initially, I thought we could fly BA-Iguazu for 2 nights, then Iguazu-Mendoza for 2 more nights before heading back to BA, but it looks far too complicated and time consuming.

I also thought about heading to Iguazu after Rio, but there are only so many vacation days on the books. We can visit a winery in Uruguay, but my DH isn't too excited about the falls either.

At this point, I'm leaning toward Iguazu and having 4-5 days in and around BA.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

At this point, I'm leaning toward Iguazu and having 4-5 days in and around BA.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think that's a good plan. Trying to squeeze 2 nights in at Mendoza and 2 nights in Iguazu is probably a little too hectic for a 6 day AR stay except perhaps for the backpacker set which I assume from the cruise bit you are not among.

Try to stay at the Sheraton in Iguazu. It's the only AR hotel located within the Iguazu park, very close to the falls. Be mindful of the baggage limits on a domestic flight. You'll need to park some bags in BA (presumably at your hotel) when flying to Iguazu.

Thanks for the baggage tip. We're pretty light packers, but won't need much for just a couple of days.

I heard about a wonderful hotel on the Brazilian side, Hotel das Cataratas. Can't book online for January, but it's not exhorbitantly more and got rave reviews from a friend I trust.

Perhaps Mendoza another time (that's the plan now, anyway).

First, don't miss Iguazu Falls! Ideally, you would spend two nights here and I also recommend the Sheraton. You could easily spend the rest of the time in Buenos Aires. A nice day trip from B.A. would be to an estancia near San Antonio de Areco. We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Estancia El Ombú

http://www.estanciaelombu.com/erutas.htm and it provides a nice contrast to the big city.

Thanks for the baggage tip. We're pretty light packers, but won't need much for just a couple of days.

I heard about a wonderful hotel on the Brazilian side, Hotel das Cataratas. Can't book online for January, but it's not exhorbitantly more and got rave reviews from a friend I trust.

Perhaps Mendoza another time (that's the plan now, anyway).

I, too, have heard good things about the Hotel das Cataratas. Is it located inside the national park on the Brasilian side like the Sheraton on the AR side?

The point about the bags is: assuming you have more than 15 kilos each coming off a cruise, where will you leave the excess over 15 when you fly to Iguazu (and presumably return to BA). Have you considered the need for Brasilian visas if you stay on that side?

It has being a strange summer in Brazil, places like Rio is raining a lot and the temperature is a bit lower than usual and there is a 2 month drought in the south where Igacu is located.

The following link you can see how the falls are currently with half flow.

http://www.tarobacascavel.com.br/videos/materia/jt1/10120/Seca_muda_paisagem_nas_Cataratas_do_Igua%C3%83%C2%A7u

Archived