Help!!! Carnival Ecstasy- Porthole room? Interior? What deck? Forward? Midship? Ahh!

tonijmccann

I've always booked through a travel agent or had someone else book for me... but now I'm ready to book on my own and I'm clueless. We're looking to go on the Carnival Ecstasy in May, it will just be my husband and myself. Do I want a porthole or interior room? Forward or midship? What deck is the best? Do I want to be on the bottom one, second, or third? I'm lost!

• 1 month later...

So, this is the opinion of total neophyte cruisers, so take it as you willl.

We sailed on the Triumph in 2008 (our first cruise) and were very pleasantly surprised by our inside cabin on the upper deck (I think) of the Carnival Triumph. I think we were sort of midship, because our wonderful cabin steward let us peek into the OMG suites that were right across from us. With regard to the inside, it did not bother us even though we had fairly rough seas crossing the Gulf of Mexico back to Galveston (neither hubby nor I tend toward motion sickness, so we were lucky). YMMV.

If the main use you have for a cabin is sleeping, then the total darkness afforded by an inside is awesome. What better place is there to luxuriate in sleeping late than your vacation cruise ship? If you have issues w/ motion sickness, you may have probs no matter what part of the ship you see out. So take appropriate measures (i.e. get the right meds) before embarking.

That said, I'm all about mixing it up and we are booked for a forward porthole (E10) on the Elation for our second cruise this coming October. What I've read is that if one is prone to motion sickness the PT cabins may not be right for you because (as with all forward cabins) you feel the motion of the ocean more than if you are further back on the ship. Additionally, I've read complaints that one can hear the motors et al which are used during docking procedures during port days. So a really light sleeper, may be awakened by this noise (I'll leave it to you to decide if that's good or bad).

I'm actually really looking forward to experiencing this cabin first hand. As I mentioned, our, first cruise was an inside, so this feels like an upgrade (especially since we'll be on the Empress deck so we don't have 3 flights of stairs to negotiate for dinner-time).

I'm absolutely itching for this cruise, so I'll be sure to update on my actual imprssions of the PT cabins once I've experienced them firsthand.

Archived