Fish and chips on the IOS out of Southampton?

dln929

I read somewhere on the internet that the Indy has really accommodated itself to the British market when she's traveling out of Southampton. Like the alcohol has the 15% gratuity already incorporated into the prices because the British don't tip like Americans. And pork pies in the Promenade Cafe. So this leads me to hope that maybe there will be some good old fashioned fish and chips?? Or what other tasty British goodies await me? How is the IOS different out of the UK than elsewhere? My husband was born in England and he wants to know how much of the old country he's going to see for 11 days. :D

I read somewhere on the internet that the Indy has really accommodated itself to the British market when she's traveling out of Southampton. Like the alcohol has the 15% gratuity already incorporated into the prices because the British don't tip like Americans. And pork pies in the Promenade Cafe. So this leads me to hope that maybe there will be some good old fashioned fish and chips?? Or what other tasty British goodies await me? How is the IOS different out of the UK than elsewhere? My husband was born in England and he wants to know how much of the old country he's going to see for 11 days. :D

It has been a while since we have been on Indy but I'm afraid you won't find the kind of fish & chips you are expecting. Their chips are very good and the mahi mahi tempura is very good....but not quite the British fish & chips.

You can expect other foods such as English bacon (very good), blood pudding (yuk/gag), etc.

i was on it last easter and they had fish and chips and mushy peas in the windjammer at lunchtime. they also had proper vinegar to go on them. also had pork pies at breakfast and lunch in windjammer. really good indian dishes too (arent they the national dish there now)

they had english sausages and bacon too. enjoy

Indy has a nice balance between British and American when it comes to food and entertainment. Obviously stuff like English bacon (prefer the american kind they serve actually) for breakfast, but you have the American breakfast food like the corned beef hash (yum!). I recently tried P&O, and found the food and entertainment to be too British. Indy is a nice mid point. Plus you get the mix of nationalities which makes it more interesting.

British style fish and chips (chip shop style) is not served, however Johnny Rockets sold beer battered cod and chips (standard JR/winjammer/MDR french fries). On our last 3 cruises on Inde (2x14night and 1x11 night) either/both beer battered cod and beer battered Haddock were starters in the MDR on different nights. (normally haddock is served in Scotland and cod in English chip shops).

I did a daily MDR photo diary of my 14night cruise last summer which i never got round to posting on here. I should have a photo of the MDR British style fried cod and i will post it tomorrow.

The windjammer serve british meals, steak and ale pie and maybe cottage pie was another. Black pudding can also be found at breakfast in the MDR only and british sausages and back bacon in both WJ and MDR.

Edit: i have to agree with the poster above about the currys. They served a curry called Butter Chicken in both the MDR and WJ. I had the MDR version (ill post a picture of that too) which was the best curry i have ever tasted...period (i ordered seconds). All their currys taste authentic and are wonderfull!

Thank you everyone for your responses! This sounds like it's going to be a delicious cruise. I think I will use the next four weeks waiting to sail as an effort to lose a couple of pounds. English food to my husband and me = comfort food, especially in dead of February!

Archived