Vegetarians on Oceania

patnlcc

We have just received our pre-cruise documents from Oceania. Have never sailed them before. Under 'Dietary Requests' it says either we or our TA must make a request "in writing" about any special diets. My husband is vegetarian. Do we really have to write to them to let them know this??

We have just received our pre-cruise documents from Oceania. Have never sailed them before. Under 'Dietary Requests' it says either we or our TA must make a request "in writing" about any special diets. My husband is vegetarian. Do we really have to write to them to let them know this??

That depends on your husbands requirements. If he eats dairy, and is willing to eat what are normally side dishes as his main course, then you may be able to wing it.

All in all though, I'd recommend that you write in, if only because it will improve the variety of foods that your husband will be exposed to.

I believe a vegetarian pasta is offered nightly in the dining room.

Not only would I write in advance, I'd befriend the head maitre d' in the dining room and in each restaurant. Any time you're scheduled to eat in a particular venue, I'd chat with this individual about vegetarian options earlier in the day. This will give the chef some time to plan.

We were in Toscana one night, and a fellow at the table next to us, asked for pasta with vegetables and chicken, something not listed on the menu. The maitre d' responded quite reasonably, "I'll check with the chef."

While he was gone the fellow kept complaining along the lines of "What kind of a restaurant is this that can't prepare something simple like pasta and vegetables?" This comment misses the point. The chef is the chief in the kitchen. The maitre d' was being correct and respectful by answering the way he did. Of course, the answer was "yes" and the diner was ultimately quite satisfied.

Bottom line: You can count on Oceania for great food whether vegetarian or otherwise. However, your meal will go more smoothly if you do a bit of advance planning even while on the ship.

My guess is that they are really asking about problems like "non gluten" or diabetic requirements, not mere vegetarianism.

My recollection also is that the GDR always has vegetarian selections available.

But talking to them ahead of time is always a good idea.

Mura

Thank you all for your input, Yes, I'm guessing they're really looking for people with medical dietary needs to let them know, not just vegetarians as you mentioned. I've faxed them and am sure there will be no problem.

I've faxed them and am sure there will be no problem

Does anyone, still use, a fax? :confused:

More to the point, although I'm sure that there are scads of vegetable options, it is the use of butter and/or cream in their preparation which may be an issue for some vegetarians.

Does anyone, still use, a fax? :confused:

More to the point, although I'm sure that there are scads of vegetable options, it is the use of butter and/or cream in their preparation which may be an issue for some vegetarians.

Faxes do double duty as copy machines:)

Butter and cream aren't issues to vegetarians, but they are no-no's for vegans.

I am a vegetarian and just returned from 10 days on the Marina. The vegetarian options are highlighted on the menus in the main dining room for lunch and dinner. This is helpful because some things might appear to be vegetarian (Cauliflower soup), but are not (it had chicken stock). Vegetarian options in the specialty restaurants were a little harder to figure out, but I was always able to find good choices. There are many vegetarian choices in the expanded menus at the Terrace Cafe on Marina including grilled veggies, excellent veggie and green salads along with an array of steamed veggies. You can even get a decent veggie burger at Waves Grill.

I agree with previous comments to make friends with the Maitre'D, especially if there are special restrictions (e.g. vegan meals versus vegetarian meals).

Archived