Renewel of Vows Package

dhowell

Has anyone done this - if so, what is your opinion? I'm thinking of signing my parents up for this - they are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and will be cruising with the whole family. There are 16 other family members that would get charged the $12.50 per charge, so before investing all that money, I'd like some opinions! Also - is this always done on "at sea" days - I don't want to be on the ship when we're in port! Thanks for any help - denise:)

My DH and i did lihe ROV ceremony last summer on board the Rotterdam for our 25th.

There were 4 other couples who participated. It was very tastefully done.

We received flowers, photos, certificate, and an album as part of the package. The album was delivered boxed to our cabin 2 days later.

The event included a reception with champagne and hors d'ouerves.

My adult son met the ship in Amsterdam and was sailing home with us. We also invited our sailing friends.

IMO the ceremony was well worth it, but $12.50 pp can get very expensive, and unless you haven't the heart to exclude any members of your group, 45 minutes doesn't seem worth it to me.

On our New Year's sailing, friends of ours also had a ROV, and our group waited for them in the Crow's Nest and celebrated after the ceremony.

Ours was on a sea day (formal night), our friends also had theirs on a sea day but it was an informal night (they dressed anyway).

Both ceremonies were held shortly after 7pm and lasted until 8.

The captain addressed each couple individually.

Hope this helps,

GN

Has anyone done this - if so, what is your opinion? I'm thinking of signing my parents up for this - they are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and will be cruising with the whole family. There are 16 other family members that would get charged the $12.50 per charge, so before investing all that money, I'd like some opinions! Also - is this always done on "at sea" days - I don't want to be on the ship when we're in port! Thanks for any help - denise:)

Denise

DH and I took my parents on the Westerdam last September to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Much as I love all things HAL, we were somewhat disappointed with the ROV ceremony. It was held jointly with the 'Honeymooners' in the piano Bar and was very cramped indeed. The Captain was a lovely man but unfortunately was held up and everyone was waiting around for 40 minutes. The 'ceremony' was a group one with some 7 or 8 ROV couples in a corner of the bar. Because there were far more 'honeymooners' and their guests, we couldn't get anywhere near my parents to take photographs, let alone hear what was being said.

Having said all that, I had read some very good reports from others past experiences of the ROV.

It may be worth waiting until you are on the ship concerned and establishing what the specific arrangements would be.

Warmest congratulations to your parents on the Golden Day.

We have done ROV two times, once on the old Rotterdam for our 25th and once on the Maasdam for our 30th. The first time it was with our children present (with 2 other couples) and the second time just the 2 of us (and about 10 honeymooner couples). One time during the day and the other time during the early evening so neither interfered with any shore days. We thought it was a worthwhile experience both times. The lasting part is a memory book with pictures taken by the ship's photog (3 on the Rotterdam and 5 on the Maasdam). There is probably a little prejudice on our part, however. We met on the old Rotterdam so we have a certain afinity to HAL.

The one with the honeymooners was probably more interesting since we were the only ROV and got to speak with the Captain at some length. The honeymooners minds were on other things :D

So I guess the bottom line is go for it. BTW the first time I got the travel agent to pay for it so there was no direct cost to us.

I'm glad we did it (there were four other couples with us) but at $12.50 pp it seems steep for a glass of champagne and a couple nibbles to watch a five minute ceremony, although there was one couple with three adult children there. Just make sure that your parents get the confirmation letter once on board stating when and where the ceremony is. We didn't and when we showed up we had to "force" our way in because our names weren't on the list but the ceremony staff figured if we knew where to show up, we must have been on the list. They later discovered it was their error. Our album showed up at 10 p.m. the night before we disembarked and it was NOT in a box. Maybe because they weren't prepared for us? That said, we did enjoy the ceremony and our captain did speak to each couple individually.

One comment, we got one photo of us and captain, and they only took two. I found the other photo stuck in with all the cruising photos in photo gallery area and bought it.

One comment, we got one photo of us and captain, and they only took two. I found the other photo stuck in with all the cruising photos in photo gallery area and bought it.
Wow, I think someone didnt do their job for you organizing your packet, those pictures should have been included! Shame when HAL services dont stop and think about the emotions pax have participating in renewel of vows! I'm sorry they didnt do their best for you, you deserved the best! :)

Archived