Navigating the NOLA port

pyropoodle

I have read several reviews here lately from people sailing the Conquest saying that the port in NOLA is nothing short of chaos and that people didn't really know where to tell people to go or where to wait for boarding, etc, etc...

some people said they were directed to the VIP line when they were not VIP (which I am not) and some people said they walked aimlessly until they found the right place to be. heavens:confused:

so, I'm leaving in a couple of days and I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me exactly where I need to go when heading to the Conquest. I will be with my mom and she has a few mobility issues. (she can walk but cannot stand for long periods of time nor can she walk and walk and walk without resting.) I want to avoid dragging her from one wrong line to another wrong line and minimize my confusion and her getting annoyed, so any info would be great and very much appreciated.

I have this same issue. I am not really disabled, but I can't walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. After the fact, I learned that I should have requested VIP boarding at the terminal - explaining my difficulties. I ended up having to lose my place in line three times because I needed to sit down for a few minutes. Finally, a couple in line overheard me talking about having to sit down and again lose my place in line and they graciously offered to "save" my place. Thankfully that worked out well and nobody complained about it.

Once your mother is granted the expedited boarding, one person is allowed to accompany her (in this case that would be you). To help your case, if your mother uses a cane or any other type assistance in walking, have her bring it along. Having visual "proof" of her difficulty will go a long way. You can even, for guaranteed VIP boarding, request that Carnival provide a wheelchair for your mother for boarding and debarking. Again, you would be allowed to accompany her. That's how I got debarked after an exhausting and physically debilitating embarkation - just couldn't imagine making it through that again, especially since I would also have to drag my luggage through customs.

Since I am not truly disabled, just severely limited, I felt it would be 'cheating' or 'taking advantage' to receive help, mostly because others needed the assistance more than I did. However, I learned the hard way that you should request help if you need it. I finally did, and was more than happy to wait my turn for assistance getting off the ship.

Just remember to tip any Carnival staff who may assist you with a wheelchair.

I just sailed from NOLA on the Conquest the week before Christmas and I beg to differ. The porters were super helpful, the staff directed us every step of the way and several people used Carnival wheelchairs until on board. It was smooth and friendly helpful people. In fact out of 7 cruises, this debarkment was the easiest ever!!!

I think it helped to arrive very early at the port....9:15am!!

I have read several reviews here lately from people sailing the Conquest saying that the port in NOLA is nothing short of chaos and that people didn't really know where to tell people to go or where to wait for boarding, etc, etc...

some people said they were directed to the VIP line when they were not VIP (which I am not) and some people said they walked aimlessly until they found the right place to be. heavens:confused:

so, I'm leaving in a couple of days and I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me exactly where I need to go when heading to the Conquest. I will be with my mom and she has a few mobility issues. (she can walk but cannot stand for long periods of time nor can she walk and walk and walk without resting.) I want to avoid dragging her from one wrong line to another wrong line and minimize my confusion and her getting annoyed, so any info would be great and very much appreciated.

There was no chaos for us, so I don't know what some people are talking about.

I would have told Carnival that your Mom needs assistance, because she probably will. But you can still tell them at the port to get a wheelchair. If one is not immediately available, there should be a sitting area where she can wait until there is one. Carnival can wheel her through the check-in process and then onto the ship.

Whether or not there are any lines, there is a somewhat long, inclined walkway to get onto the ship, which is why I would suggest the wheelchair.

P1170292.JPG

I don't want to request VIP boarding because, well, I wouldn't feel right about it, but I will look into at least getting her a wheelchair. She probably won't like that idea because she doesn't want people to think she's disabled (which she really isn't, again, just difficult to stand a long time and taking breaks) I can hear her say "what if they see me in a wheelchair to get on the ship but then they see me standing in that buffet line?" :p

If all else fails, I can hold our place in line and let her sit while I wait. I am just more concerned with making sure I am in the right line. Hopefully, it will not be as confusing as some people have said it is. I am not afraid to ask people where to go or what to do, so I know we will be fine, but I like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks for the answers, they have been a great help, and I really will look into the wheelchair thing for her. i never thought of that.

(I did request the cart at the airport to take her from one terminal to the next since she will be flying in alone, so maybe she'll accept the wheelchair too. She's pretty excited about having someone drive her from one gate to the other in the Atlanta airport because she hates that airport and it takes her so long to get from one end of it to the other)

There are folks at all the steps along the way directing you. Once you are on the second floor at the glass doors, there is someone else to direct you to either the VIP or regular guest lines. Regular guest line is a rope maze to maximize the number of people in line. This leads to the security screening equipment.

Once through this you are either directed to the left if you are VIP or to the right to the regular guest check-in counters. Once complete, you are then giving a Zone number and directed where to go sit until the zone numbers are called.

Wedding parties go first, handi-capped is next, then VIP/Suite/Platinum guest, then zone numbers are called for the rest who are waiting.

Dave

Archived