Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Here is a easy to read graphic:

na0116_concordiahole1.gif

Thanks for posting this, it is interesting to see a professional presentation on how this might have occurred.

Why can't you just wait until the officials give the truth! You have not given the same co ordinates that others have given.

This is what is so sad to me.........I don't care whether you have 50 years at sea........too many guesses, and I don't believe anything that I read, unless it's from an official.

Why didn't you say that the ship went in between the shoals, as so many others.......including someoine that ran it on a simulator.

When you have the facts from the "black box" then give us your theory.

Sorry to get on you.......but there have been so many theories......and whether you are right or wrong........you DO NOT HAVE THE FACTS OF THE BLACK BOX!!

Really, I want this to rest until there is proof positive.

Rick

...whoa.......relax.......if you want to wait for the official statement.......fine....:rolleyes:

"Leaked" is no way "confirmed". I think people need to stop saying that "information has been released". Eventually the real facts will be made available. How is the Captain supposed to get a fair trial with all this miss-information around. Who knows, the ship may have hit the rocks due to some mechanical failure, and the captain did all he could to save it and those onboard.

And that was my point when I said leaked but not confirmed. It is not confirmed and will not be for some time. I wish it wasn't happening but it is an unfortunate part of reporting these days, get the story out even if nothing is confirmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: the anchor. I was responding to a poster that said the anchor had to be dropped to rotate the ship. Maybe I misunderstood the comment from that post, I'll have to look back. If so, I'm sorry about that.

Yes, I know simulation is quite different than an actual real life emergency situation. Tho they throw in some "situations" it is nothing like dealing with a hole in the hull.

I thought the photos posted here from Buzzfeed clearly showed the starboard anchor in the water also. I'm 99% sure that's the anchor line extending down into the water from the slot where the anchor would be held...can see the white over the red of the hull.

enhanced-buzz-wide-14463-1326733054-28.jpg

I put the photo in photoshop and enlarged it and there is what does appear to be something coming out from where the anchor normally is housed. Given I am no photoshop expert there is a lot of touch up work that could be done by someone more expert to give their view, but it does appear as if there is some anchor chain/steel rope or something of that nature hanging down.

I put the photo in photoshop and enlarged it and there is what does appear to be something coming out from where the anchor normally is housed. Given I am no photoshop expert there is a lot of touch up work that could be done by someone more expert to give their view, but it does appear as if there is some anchor chain/steel rope or something of that nature hanging down.

I agree, something does seem appear where the anchor would go down.

foxesden1......know you from the Royal Caribbean board. You pose some very interesting questions.

Stick with it:)

Rick

And to add to the above poster, you are correct, the black boxes have been recovered. Just nothing of an official statement has been made, that I'm aware of, and I stick very close to both the news, and my shipboard friends.

LOL Fancy meeting you here.. LOL ;)

Costa does one heck of a job securing their deck chairs, I have saw several images of them neatly stacked, they are clustered in that particular photo up against the glass.

As for other debris... the photos I have saw of the MDR show everything floating. It seems to me the windows and glass underwater are holding up quite well up to this point, the only broken windows I have saw were broken by divers for access. That may explain why more debris isn't floating around the ship.

Is that un-launched Life Rafts I see still hanging up there?

Why are people getting so antsy when people post their ideas and theories? We all know that until the recorder and evidence is properly analyzed then we won't really know what happened, but I am finding it quite helpful to read of the possibilities as to how this occurred. And probably also to reassure myself that it was a one off situation and will never occur again.

Is that un-launched Life Rafts I see still hanging up there?

Sorry, I only looked at the anchor area...and it's time to get some sleep here. I know looking before I saw what looked like a rescue boat still sitting in its rack on the ship.

So USA Today has the following that shows the ship "threading the needle" between the two outcroppings:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-01-16/Vacationing-couple-plunged-into-chaos/52602722/1

If you click on the box you see the track that goes through the rocks and identifies the source as 'Turkish Maritime News website http://www.denizhaber.com.

Click on that site and find the course and that site identifies it as:

http://www.deniztv.com/HABER/27965/1/costa-concordia-squat.html

USA Today publishes a story citing another source that doesn't even back up what they allege!!

The reporting of this by CNN, ABC, USA Today has been the sloppiest I have ever seen.

Don't give these "news" sources any more credibility than you give the armchair "experts" on CC.

Sorry, I only looked at the anchor area...and it's time to get some sleep here. I know looking before I saw what looked like a rescue boat still sitting in its rack on the ship.

Looks like two life boats and one small "rescue boat" still in the port side davits.

Eddie M

So USA Today has the following that shows the ship "threading the needle" between the two outcroppings:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-01-16/Vacationing-couple-plunged-into-chaos/52602722/1

If you click on the box you see the track that goes through the rocks and identifies the source as 'Turkish Maritime News website http://www.denizhaber.com.

Click on that site and find the course and that site identifies it as:

http://www.deniztv.com/HABER/27965/1/costa-concordia-squat.html

USA Today publishes a story citing another source that doesn't even back up what they allege!!

The reporting of this by CNN, ABC, USA Today has been the sloppiest I have ever seen.

Don't give these "news" sources any more credibility than you give the armchair "experts" on CC.

One of the sources listed at the bottom of the graphic is Cruisecritic.com! :D

With the fact that Costa are now attempting to clear themselves away from the actions of the Captain it will be interesting to see if any action is taken on the Senior management that were aware of the 'close sail bys' of the ship to Giglio on previous sailings, if they were aware of these sail bys then they would have the opportunity of stopping these and thus would through their inactions be also guilty of manslaughter.

before Costa, the land authorities of Giglio and other places (because they do the same in Sorrento and Capri) should have immediately put a stop to such an idiot thing from the first time a ship came so close to land.

ROME (AFP)--Rescuers found a body in the wreckage of the luxury liner Costa Concordia early Tuesday, bringing to seven the death toll after it ran aground off the coast of Italy, daily La Stampa said on its website.

The body hadn't yet been recovered, the report said, quoting rescue workers. A further 28 people remained missing, La Stampa said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120117-700122.html

If the Captain was rotating the ship, which many believe he was, then that action probably created the air displacement that caused the water to go from port side to starboard, allowing more water to quickly flow in.

At least that is how a physics major explained it to me.

My guess [operative word] would be that dropping the anchor was an attempt to hold the ship in shallow water and keep it from slipping back into deeper water. It was unfortunate that all the ballast (taken on water) probably shifted to the starboard side and eventually capsized the ship. I think he would have been happy to just let it sink straight down 'til the keel strikes bottom and remain upright. Get all the passengers off in a controlled planned standard way (no list).

Archived