Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

[quote name='Milaandra']This week The Weekly World News has announced that Earth Will Collide with Nibiru on July 12, 2012.

Personally, I'm not changing my vacation plans.[/quote]

Micky (?)

The quote came from the article you posted as your source of information. I wasn't trying to start a war over diffrent sources.

John

Unregistered passengers....

Black Boxes not operational.....

If Costa had been notified of the black boxes being non operational, they better have a very clear response to getting them repaired....e.g. replacements ordered, someone hired to fix them at a specific port, etc....or they have just lost their legal cover.....The black box is a key piece of safety equipment.

Unregistered passengers....can not get on board without going thru ship security and they must have gone thru port security. Legal problems are increasing for Costa.

I fully understand why they want to hang the captain...but I think the hangman will be joining the captain at the gallows....

Certainly, I would not sail on costa if their policy (or practice) is to sail without safety equipment operational.....and no one else should either.

[quote name='bobsig']Somehow you have the impression that "controllers" actual control airplanes, trains, etc. They don't. Pilots control their planes and are the ultimate person in charge. If an air "controller" tells me descend to an altitude that results in me flying into a granite cloud, I'm dead and held responsible whereas the "controller" is alive and is maybe out of a job.
BTW- almost every pilot has experienced errors issued by "controllers", those still alive took matters in their own hands.

Trying to "control" thousands of ships worldwide where the "controller" is supposed to have all the information at hand that every onboard Captain has is ridiculous and impossible.[/QUOTE]

Where did I say that the air controller or train dispatcher could control the airplane or train? I said thay could call the pilot and tell the plane to change course or tell the train crew to stop the train. Don't put words I did not say in my mouth. If someone had called the captain and told him he was too close to the island maybe he would not be in the bad spot he is in.

[quote name='Charles4515']Wrong. We need a command room onshore tracking the ship that can call the ship and order the Captain to stop if he is on a dangerous course. And if he does not take the order then the next in command should take over and stop the ship. This is no different than air traffic control looking at the radar and telling an airline Captain to change course or a Railroad Dispatcher looking at his board and telling a Railroad Enginer or Conductor to stop the train.

Also the second command should on his own overule the Captain if the captain puts the ship on a crash course.

This is not tarring the Captain but saving him from a mistake. Humans make errors and we will never stop that but if we work as a team mistakes can be corrected.[/quote]

Wrong.
All a Secondary command office would have done in this situation is add another delay. Still I bet Home office was observing remotely once the Capt. made his first phone call. My gut tells me this entire incident could have been avoided by starting a turn 10sec earlier.

[quote name='Dorotheajn']We'll just have to wait and see what the final verdict is on the boxes. Whether it is one or both. Someone with knowledge of marine laws - Is a passenger ship allowed to continue to operate while one or both black boxes are inoperable ? And have been for 2 weeks while the ship has been to port multiple times ?[/quote]

One of the problems is that the Italian papers seem to be of the Daily Mail variety...i.e. report first, worry about accuracy later. (No offence to our Italian community...after this situation I don't have much respect for any new agencies, but in the English speaking papers it's easier to tell which ones are at least citing their sources, and I can compare the language back to the original report and see where they varied the language to the detriment of accuracy)

Then there is the translation issue. When it comes to translation, computers are no match for a competant human.

So, considering the variables, I think I read that it had undergone repair, but it wasn't a job well done, and that Schettini was saying he didn't know until Bosio reported to him later that it wasn't operational when Bosio tried to hit the download button. Again, if I caught the meaning correctly, and the testimony was reported correctly, Schettino was saying that he didn't know if anything was captured, but was letting the court know that it might be blank and why.

[quote name='frediver']Wrong.
All a Secondary command office would have done in this situation is add another delay. Still I bet Home office was observing remotely once the Capt. made his first phone call. My gut tells me this entire incident could have been avoided by starting a turn 10sec earlier.[/QUOTE]

A cruise ship should not have been 10 seconds from disaster!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]Here is the info about Captain Roberto Bosio, the Captain of Costa Serena

[URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088234/Costa-Concordia-hero-Roberto-Bosio-calls-captain-Francesco-Schettino-disgraceful-man.html[/URL]

Photo of Captain Bosio[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black][B][IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/18/article-2088234-0F834CAC00000578-620_472x423.jpg[/IMG] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black][B]Angry: Captain Roberto Bosio, who was off-duty but helped co-ordinate the evacuation, said Schettino was a 'disgraceful man'[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]And another article here: [URL]http://themes.thestar.com/article/07excSv6eichc[/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]If you listen and read the transcripts of the conversation between Coast Guard Captain De Marco and Schettino, you will hear Schettino saying the 1st Officer's name and Captain De Marco repeating it.
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]I just did a Google Search for Concordia First Officer and another for Concordia Second Officer and found this:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black][B]This must have been a ‘shock’ for skipper of the sinking luxury cruise liner Costa Concordia. Captain Schettini claimed, he was helping the passengers of the sinking ship to flee, when he fell into a lifeboat. Odd enough, the ship’s second officer in command from Greece and the ship’s third officer in command from Italy happened to have fallen (?) into the lifeboat as well… [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]and a couple sentences further is this:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]Unexplained, however, was the remarkable coincidence of both Dimitri Christidis, the ship’s second officer, and Silvia Coronia, the No 3, being on the same lifeboat. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL]http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2012/01/19/costa-concordia-italian-captain-greek-second-officer-fell-into-lifeboat/[/URL][/B]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]Captain Bosio is a HERO and his name should not be used in the same sentence as the coward, except to show what a real Captain does.
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Touchy subjects:
No one yet has asked the nasty indelicate questions however I feel they are important.
IMO
The Concordia is a crime scene:
And bodies recovered are part of the crime and evidence:
What rules govern autopsies in Italy:
IMO important because, were the recovered persons injured, did they
receive injuries prior death? Would the injuries have prevented evacuation during normal abandon ship procedures?
Were these "lost" persons by themselves, traveling singly? I know the US couple were/are likely together but what about the others?

As an aside I guess during the drills you should introduce yourself to the people around you, IE easier to not be left behind that way.

IF you start to consider this a crime rather than an accident then all the rules change or should for handling recovered evidence.

During normal arrival and departures you are with 10sec of disaster. I think you would be real surprised how often you are in a narrow channel. 10 sec will see you covering a lot of water even at 5knots.

[quote name='scubacindy']I understand the fact that there are salvage divers on site, but when the media show the rescue divers they also include the others and no mention of anything except those on the resecue and recovery.

I guess I am just being picky about the images being misleading. Most likely those divers were there at the props to check for what damage they may have sustained. That is very understandable to need that information in regards to what they can salvage from this ship.

I am very interested in the divers perspectives of this and want to hear more from them, being a diver myself just peaks my interest. Plus, being that I am also a registered nurse that loves the sea it really has me riveted to the videos and reports.

ScubaCindy[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I think they are trying to be respectful of the families of the missing by not saying that some are down there checking things out in preparation for salvage. Many families do not want any salvage work started until all the missing are found.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I will really feel sorry for the fella that has to tell these people when that times comes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Somewhere, back several pages by now, I had a quote from one diver.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]from memory it went something like this... In your heart you want to find them alive. In your head you know that will not be.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Milaandra']It was the google translation of the Italian article, so I'm really not sure. I think it might be the voice recorder.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]On a translated page from La Repubblica I remember seeing "yellow- black box" and it mentioned voice recorder from Bridge. That is the one I understand is broken.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ghstudio']Unregistered passengers....

Black Boxes not operational.....

If Costa had been notified of the black boxes being non operational, they better have a very clear response to getting them repaired....e.g. replacements ordered, someone hired to fix them at a specific port, etc....or they have just lost their legal cover.....The black box is a key piece of safety equipment.

[COLOR=red]Unregistered passengers....can not get on board without going thru ship security and they must have gone thru port security. Legal problems are increasing for Costa.[/COLOR]

I fully understand why they want to hang the captain...but I think the hangman will be joining the captain at the gallows....

Certainly, I would not sail on costa if their policy (or practice) is to sail without safety equipment operational.....and no one else should either.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Staff and crew can bring on guests when they are in port. Clearance must be (under the rules) obtained prior to boarding as the staff or crew person must have a card allowing them to board. Upon leaving they return the card to proper authorities.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]In some cases passengers can also invite guests on board, say for a wedding before the ship leaves port.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]In all cases, someone should know who was given permission to be on board which would include the same.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The other ways I can think of for someone to get on board was if a crew member got a card from another crew member that looked enough like that person to not raise any eyebrows or the crew boarding checkpoint person just let some friends bring someone on.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Uniall']Micky (?)

The quote came from the article you posted as your source of information. I wasn't trying to start a war over diffrent sources.

John[/quote]

Sorry, John! Just a ridiculous example to demonstrate that a speculation in the news without a reliable source is likely unworthy of your investigation. (I almost chose "Megan Fox is a Man", but I thought that might possibly be true :D)

You had said that Costa "changed" their story to say Domnica was on the manifest. But Costa never said she wasn't, so there's no change in their story.

We have her interview (much of which I have seen on video), and two cited sources who say she was an official passenger with a paid ticket. This against theories printed in the papers that were attributed to...well, no one, actually.

Quite frankly, even the Weekly World News actually cites sources! I doubt they can be substantiated, but at least they are there! :p

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The other ways I can think of for someone to get on board was if a crew member got a card from another crew member that looked enough like that person to not raise any eyebrows or the crew boarding checkpoint person just let some friends bring someone on.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

But even then, they would know if someone tried to get on twice with the same card. You may be able to substitute someone, but I don't think you could add someone.

Just a guess, of course.

[quote name='frediver']Touchy subjects:
No one yet has asked the nasty indelicate questions however I feel they are important.
IMO
receive injuries prior death? Would the injuries have prevented evacuation during normal abandon ship procedures?
Were these "lost" persons by themselves, traveling singly? I know the US couple were/are likely together but what about the others?

As an aside I guess during the drills you should introduce yourself to the people around you, IE easier to not be left behind that way.

IF you start to consider this a crime rather than an accident then all the rules change or should for handling recovered evidence.[/quote]

[B][SIZE=4]You have seen thru the smoke and have not been blinded by the reflections in the mirrors................Excellent.[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]Captain Bosio is a HERO and his name should not be used in the same sentence as the coward, except to show what a real Captain does.
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

It's not us, it's the courts and the Italian news agencies reporting the alleged testimony of the courts.

That's why we're questioning this. Bosio seems to be two different people in two different places on the ship with two different sets of responsibilities.

[quote name='Milaandra']But even then, they would know if someone tried to get on twice with the same card. You may be able to substitute someone, but I don't think you could add someone.

Just a guess, of course.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Not if the original person holding the card didn't get off the ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Yep, pure speculation.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]As to the Italian newspapers I'm trying to stick with La Repubblica because Gio said they are they most trusted or trusted as much as anyone can trust a news media source.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ozcruiser1']I would have hoped that society could move past this sort of thing:
Dominica Cemortan was on board as was Roberto Bosio ( 2nd Captain?)
Dominica is portrayed as the villain and thus media reports her as

‘She was slim, had blonde hair to her shoulders and was wearing a black dress with her arms uncovered. They were laughing and in high spirits.’

( Source) [URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089052/Domnica-Cemortan-Was-Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-trying-impress-ballerina.html#ixzz1kDsYtRXr[/URL]

Roberto the hero is never described…..he may or may not be portly, short, unkempt etc etc.

He goes to the bridge when the event occurs and helps… A HERO
She goes to the bridge and helps ( making announcements in Russian to help Russian passengers ) and is the villain.

He is an employee, as is she. His passage documents are not brought into question.... her's are.

Language used makes a difference….They have variously described as “wineing and dining” ……if it was reported as them sharing a meal doesn’t create the same impression. I’m sure Roberto Bosio had a meal perhaps with someone that evening. If he shared a meal with a fellow male officer, is his sexuality brought into question?

Domnica and the captain share a meal …. Scandal ( he must be ‘doing’ her)
Roberto just shares a meal.
Get my drift.
My wife is slim, bolnd, leggy, was/is a dancer and loves loves dancing, wears a black dress with arms uncovered when on a cruise. She laughs and is in high spirits when on a cruise, shares a meal every night with a table of 6 ,8 or 10 others …. But doesn’t mean that she’s ‘doin’ them.

Others see the worst in people …… I like to see the best in people.
I hope that I would be a better table companion on a cruise !![/quote]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=Purple]Bravo![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='frediver']Touchy subjects:
IMO

IF you start to consider this a crime rather than an accident then all the rules change or should for handling recovered evidence.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This is a Maritime accident with major environmental concerns being treated as a crime scene.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach']

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Staff and crew can bring on guests when they are in port. Clearance must be (under the rules) obtained prior to boarding as the staff or crew person must have a card allowing them to board. Upon leaving they return the card to proper authorities.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]In some cases passengers can also invite guests on board, say for a wedding before the ship leaves port.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]In all cases, someone should know who was given permission to be on board which would include the same.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The other ways I can think of for someone to get on board was if a crew member got a card from another crew member that looked enough like that person to not raise any eyebrows or the crew boarding checkpoint person just let some friends bring someone on.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Your initial Boarding Key Card is created on the pier. The front desk can craete a new one once on board.

With NCL (of which I'm most familiar) the reservations department controls access to the ship until 2 hours before boarding time. Then the Hotel Director takes control of issuing boarding cards and cabin asignments.

If an officer wants to bring his [SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]Inamorata [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE](remember this IS ITALIA) on board, he gets the Hotel Director to issue a visitors boarding card on the pier which requires ID and passport info.

Once on board, the front desk staff closes an available cabin as "out of service" and issues a key card for the empty cabin. The gangway security officer swipes the visitors card as if the visitor has left the ship.

The central computer shows no one on board and an empty cabin waiting for repairs.

[COLOR="Red"][B][url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=px7ilisAGj0[/url][/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Uniall']Your initial Boarding Key Card is created on the pier. The front desk can crate a new one once on board.

With NCL (of which I'm most familiar) the reservations department controls access to the ship until 2 hours before boarding time. Then the Hotel Director takes control of issuing boarding cards and cabin asignments.

If an officer wants to bring his [SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]Inamorata [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE](remember this IS ITALIA) on board, he gets the Hotel Director to issue a visitors boarding card on the pier which requires ID and passport info.

Once on board, the front desk staff closes an available cabin as "out of service" and issues a key card for the empty cabin. The gangway security officer swipes the visitors card as if the visitor has left the ship.

The central computer shows no one on board and an empty cabin waiting for repairs.[/quote]

I would hope no one brings people on board this way - but then I think thats me being naive. All speculation I presume?

[SIZE="4"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]Inevitably, a lot of negatives around, but lets pay tribute to [B]all[/B] the rescuers. I have been on four cruises so have a fair idea of the passenger profile. That entails many individuals with mobility issues, infirm people, some in wheelchairs, babes in arms and some folk well past their golden years, some people in poor health as well as the fit and able, some whose weight must have made them highly vulnerable if they fell or had to negotiate steep slopes. A number of [B]injured[/B] people must have been retrieved from the ship and the sea. (We don't seem to have heard of reports of seriously injured passengers in hospitals, though a number were stretchered away?)

How on earth the rescuers managed to complete their work with so few fatalities, considering the steep list of the ship and its position on the reef, is frankly amazing!! They won't want rewards or medals but they truly deserve them. That includes, of course, the heroic divers who are still searching this wreck and placing their lives at great risk due to the difficulty of finding safe routes and the continuing movement of the ship.

Remember too, they continue to place their lives at risk while some, possibly all, of the missing may not even be found on the ship. Can it be certain that all the bodies lost to the sea will have come ashore and been found? Could tides and currents have taken some away from the island?

[quote name='kirsty_r']I would hope no one brings people on board this way - but then I think thats me being naive. All speculation I presume?[/quote]

Actually, if it turns out there were unregistered persons on board (as it now appears to be) something similar to my conjecture is probably the way it was done.

[quote name='Ozcruiser1']I would have hoped that society could move past this sort of thing:
Dominica Cemortan was on board as was Roberto Bosio ( 2nd Captain?)
Dominica is portrayed as the villain and thus media reports her as

‘She was slim, had blonde hair to her shoulders and was wearing a black dress with her arms uncovered. They were laughing and in high spirits.’

( Source) [URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089052/Domnica-Cemortan-Was-Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-trying-impress-ballerina.html#ixzz1kDsYtRXr[/URL]

Roberto the hero is never described…..he may or may not be portly, short, unkempt etc etc.

He goes to the bridge when the event occurs and helps… A HERO
She goes to the bridge and helps ( making announcements in Russian to help Russian passengers ) and is the villain.

He is an employee, as is she. His passage documents are not brought into question.... her's are.

Language used makes a difference….They have variously described as “wineing and dining” ……if it was reported as them sharing a meal doesn’t create the same impression. I’m sure Roberto Bosio had a meal perhaps with someone that evening. If he shared a meal with a fellow male officer, is his sexuality brought into question?

Domnica and the captain share a meal …. Scandal ( he must be ‘doing’ her)
Roberto just shares a meal.
Get my drift.
My wife is slim, bolnd, leggy, was/is a dancer and loves loves dancing, wears a black dress with arms uncovered when on a cruise. She laughs and is in high spirits when on a cruise, shares a meal every night with a table of 6 ,8 or 10 others …. But doesn’t mean that she’s ‘doin’ them.

Others see the worst in people …… I like to see the best in people.
I hope that I would be a better table companion on a cruise !![/quote]

Hi Ozcruiser1, I'll share a table with you anytime. In response to your post, I would guess not many in the press corps know much about Robert Bosio, but we do find that stereotypes in press reports are not confined to one gender.

[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/17/francesco-schettino-captain-costa-concordia[/URL]

[I]With his thick black hair and deep tan, captain Francesco Schettino might have stepped straight out of a scene from the 1970s cruise-liner sitcom The Love Boat. The handsome Italian skipper must have prompted more than a few sighs from lonely divorcees on voyages like the one that ended so violently and abruptly on the rocks of Giglio last Friday night.[/I] [I]But Schettino is no matinee-idol.[/I]

[URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089680/Costa-Concordia-Captain-Coward-Francesco-Schettino-eye-dancer-Domnica-Cemortan.html[/URL]

[I]Boasting a full head of dark, wavy hair, a deep tan and matinee idol looks, cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino could have stepped straight from central casting. [/I][I]From the bridge of the £372 million Costa Concordia, 52-year-old Schettino wore his uniform with pride, even if he was in the habit of leaving a button or two of his crisp white captain’s shirt undone to reveal a tuft of chest hair.[/I]

[URL]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/18/francesco-schettino-the-costa-concordia-s-daredevil-captain.html[/URL]

[I][URL="http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/17/costa-concordia-captain-begged-not-to-go-back-aboard-sinking-ship.html"]Francesco Schettino[/URL] fits a stereotype that makes most Italians cringe. In photos circulating around the Internet, the [/I][I][URL="http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/01/15/costa-concordia-and-historys-worst-shipwrecks-photos.html"]Costa Concordia[/URL] captain’s shirt seems permanently unbuttoned to reveal a tuft of what looks like groomed chest hair. His skin is deeply tanned, à la Silvio Berlusconi, and his long curly mane is slicked back in a mullet that is meant to look suave. He has a reputation as an egomaniac who doesn’t budge from his beliefs. And he is a daredevil who likes to take risks. “He drives a ship like a Ferrari,” Martino Pellegrino, a crew member, told reporters near the crash site. “He was reckless.”[/I]

[quote name='cubella59']Can you please post the link? That just gives me shivers...[/quote]

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9030902/Costa-Concordia-cruise-captain-claims-superiors-encouraged-sail-pasts.html[/url]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Unaill, I'm just relating it to a story a friend told a bunch of us about at dinner one. He was a piano man on one of my cruises (that we knew from various cruises.) In order to get his girlfriend on he told us he had to get permission from the HD, then guide her through a check-in area that we understood to be for crew to get her guest card, then security, which again we understood was for crew, for the day we were in port. This was a repositioning cruise and it had a port of call near where he lived in Spain.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The next evening he told us a bit of the ending to his visit. Seems the girlfriend left the ship without scanning nor returning her card and security was pounding on his door at 4 a.m. looking for her. H[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]e emailed her to ask if she checked herself off the ship as she was suppose to. She responded no because she wanted to keep her card. She just walked off. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Took security 8 hours to notice they didn't get the card returned. :rolleyes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='frediver']Wrong.
All a Secondary command office would have done in this situation is add another delay. Still I bet Home office was observing remotely once the Capt. made his first phone call. My gut tells me this entire incident could have been avoided by starting a turn 10sec earlier.[/quote]

Just image if the turn was delayed another 10 seconds!!!

Much has been made about this "bow" having been done in the past and approved by Costa. I cannot fathom they would have approved a 15 knot approach and a turn even remotely close to where it occurred. On the otherhand, if Costa thinks this is perfectly acceptable, I will never sail with them again.

If you study the chart, this could easily have been safely done as the video has shown. In fact, if the approach was slightly delayed, the turn could have been accomplished in much deep water, but no captain in his right mind would do this at the speed that Captain Crunch attempted.

Lots has been made of the various pictures and video of the other approach. The camera does forshorten things so what you think is very close, in reality is not what it seems. For instance, the photos of the Concordia look like it is almost at the pier on the 13th, which we know was never the case. The ship never drifted back as comfirmed from the AIS data. The pictures from shore of the ship's funnel look as if you can reach out and touch it. Finally, the shot of the Serena sailing by at night is another example. Just saying, the camera will distort.

AIS data will not distort. It will be interesting to see what the "approved" courses were for these "flybys" were in the past and what really was the course taken. Perhaps this hotshot captain got lucky on previous attempts.

It is insulting to hear the Captain say this was all done for the passengers since absolutely no one knew of this stunt save for a few crew and relatives ashore. Have any passengers come out stating they were anticipating this and were on deck to witness this? NO, the first sitting was watching the nights show and the second sitting were beginning their dinner.

On my last QE2 trip around the UK, the ship made an early morning "tourist navigation" of the Isle of Man. This was broadcast the night before on the tannoy by the captain for those who wanted to get up to see it. We were quite a distance offshore and crawling along, which gave us plenty of time to see the main port of Douglas. In this case, their were cars lined up along the main road to see us, but I doubt they were tipped off from a Facebook post! :rolleyes:;)

Archived