Help, will we arrive in time for departure?

dadams81

No Way will you be fine:eek:.

Landing time is one thing; getting out of the plane and the terminal is another thing. Getting through the Port Everglades Security Gates is another thing.

The Cruiseline has to submit the passenger manifest 90 minutes prior to departure and no, the ship will not wait for you.

Take a much earlier flight or preferably come down a day ahead. You want to enjoy your vacation not be stressed out worrying about checking in on time.

Kathy

That 90 minutes is from Homeland Security and it is exactly 90 minutes by their time,not one second over.Long story of friends that didn't have passport with them, BELIEVE ME I KNOW.:eek:

My recommendation is this.

That morning, there are two flights that leave before yours. Each one of those flights still has a large amount of availability. I have two suggestions for you.

(I only fly Jetblue and am very familiar with their policies)

1. You can show up that morning in time to take the 6:10am flight. If they can get you on that flight, they will do so free of charge. If not, ask to be put on the 7:30am flight. You can always check the flights the night before to see the amount of availability that still remains which will give you a better idea of your chances.

2. You can call at midnight the day you are scheduled to depart and switch your flights to the earlier flight for only $40 per person. At least its a guarantee you are booked on the flight and will get there in plenty of time.

Good luck!

Very good advice here from Spoiledliz. I'm one of those frazzeled mess of nerves on travel day anyway, and the added stress of "will we make it", would probably push me over the edge. Your absolutely best bet for a much less stressful start to your vacation would be to bite the bullet, change your JetBlue flight to the day before, book an affordable hotel near the port, and relax once you get there, knowing that you will absolutely make your sailing.

• 2 months later...
If there is any delay in the flight, or in getting your bags, or in your land transportation, you stand an excellent chance of missing your cruise.

There is NO WAY IN HADES that I would book a flight that has a scheduled arrival of 1:11 P.M. for a 5 P.M. departure.

You MUST be checked in by 3:30.

I always arrive in my port of embarkation the day before.

March is still a time of many weather-related delays. Even if you don't have snow in YOUR city, if your plane is coming from an area of bad weather, it may not arrive on time for your departure.

Did you book everything on your own, or did you use a travel agent?

More research is needed before you book flights if you are unfamiliar with a method of travel, such as cruising. As we all know, in this day of nonrefundable fares and fees for everything, you have to be very sure before you purchase plane tickets.

What she said.

I've never flown Jet Blue but if I understand their website, you would only see a $100 penalty for changing flights. For a $100 per person, I would change the flights and fly in Saturday night or at the very least take the 6:30 am flight. For me I would spend the $100 pp to not worry about missing the ship for the next couple of months. Weather delays would not be unexpected during March.

What s/he said.

I live in South Florida and have never seen a hurricane in March.

I lived in Boston and saw plenty of snow in April. Of course that was in the 1980s, so perhaps global warming has taken care of that possibility.:rolleyes:

OP, change your flights to come in the day before and book a hotel. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

The last 2 times I flew into Florida I was over 2 hours late. Both times booked by the cruise line, and I barely made it both times. It was too much stress and I felt I missed my first day on the ship. Last flight was into Newark, it was 3 hours late, but at least that time it was the day before so we were fine. The weather is one thing but I have experienced flights with mechanical issues, staffing issues, crowded runway issues, just not worh the stress IMO.

First I do agree with everyone that flying in the day before is the wisest and least stressful way. I do wonder though the comments that say the ship won't wait. Our cruise on Oasis in October delayed departure by 30 minutes. We didn't know why until a person stood up at the Captains Corner (Q&A with Captain on last day) and thanked him for waiting for their group of approx 25 that were delayed flying in. Was this a RC arranged flight then? I don't know but he did wait.

i have a question about leaving FLL post-cruise. is it possible to catch a 9am flight?

I would NOT book that flight. There are too many variables to consider. If you want to try you also have to look at how many ships are in that day. If it is a Saturday or Sunday, there could be 5 or 6 ships in port that day including the Oasis and Allure with well over 15,000 people flying out that same day. How crowded would the airport be with security etc.

If you get of the ship by 7 or 730am, by the time you get off the ship, get your luggage, go through customs, get a taxi to the airport, wait in line to check in and drop off your luggage, then get through security, you will be cutting it VERY close. If you don't check into your fight by 8am, they can give your seat away and there is a good chance any checked luggage won't make the plane.

I just think you would be better off if you get a later flight. Less stress after spending a nice cruise stress free. If you are worried about it now, chances are you will be worried about it the entire trip. Its so much more relaxing on the ship when you can just enjoy yourself and shut out the outside world and enjoy your cruise.

OP.... If you do decide to come in the day before, try getting a hotel using Priceline. We cruised from Ft. Lauderdale about a year ago. At that time I got the Hilton which is very close to pier and airport (which as has been said are quite close to each other). I asked for a 4-star hotel near the airport or cruiseport(areas you can choose are listed and you can check the one you want) and bid $65 and was given the Hilton....lovely! It might be bit more now, but I'll bet you could still get a nice hotel for under $100. Priceline is very easy to navigate and, believe me, my computer skills are about a half step up from pitiful!! I would give it a try! Good luck whatever you decide to do.:)

We are arriving 3 days early for our cruise and staying in a hotel which is an 8 minute walk away from the port.

Even with flights I don't chance it, I have a 5 hour gap between connecting domestic/international flights because I'm a worry wart! No way will I ever be late for anything!

Also, we want to get on the ship ASAP on departure day... we have paid for it!

I hate to say this but I agree with other. You are cutting it close. My friend alway advised to fly a day early for many reasons. He had lot of experiences with flying for cruising. Anyway, I can give you a story why a day earlier is better but what i am about to tell you it in reverse.

On the day of pre cruise for Allure Maiden Voyage, the weather was fine from Atlantic City Airport. No delays of any kind from Spirit. After the cruise, it time to go home. We had a 4 pm flight and thankfully for that time it work out for us since the disembarkation was screw up. When we got to the airport, most planes got either delayed or cancelled due to weather related thru out the U.S. Anyway, at 4 pm the flight back to Atlantic City airport was the only plane allow to be boarded and take off from FLL. Florida had crystal clear sky, but everywhere else the weather was intolerable. By the time we got to Atlantic City, it was raining hard. Meanwhile listening to the news on the radio in the car, Newark, JFk and laguardia(nyc/nj) airport airport all got delayed while Atlantic City airport got none.

There was another thread about this a few days ago and I told my story there but I'll tell it again here:

Our family (6 people including one 3 year old) were taking a cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska in June one year. We were flying America West out of Houston and had a connecting flight somewhere else (I think it was Phoenix, but I can't remember now). We arrived at the HOuston airport to find out that our first flight was delayed by FOUR hours! That would have caused us to miss our connecting flight and the ship. They were able to find us space on a Continental airlines flight that was just about to leave. We were literally running through the airport to make that flight and barely made it to the ticket counter right before takeoff. It was extremely stressful. Also some of our bags did not make it to the ship and caught up with us half-way through the cruise.

Never, ever again will I fly on the same day! The delay wasn't caused by weather, it was some sort of mechanical thing.

i have a question about leaving FLL post-cruise. is it possible to catch a 9am flight?

NO!!! That's why the 9:00 am flight is cheaper lol, because everyone else wants the 12-1:00 flight because they are getting off cruises too. The airlines know this and price accordingly. :(

1st, have you called the airline to beg, grovel, plead ignorance to see if they will switch you for free? I have done this before. Being nice pays off sometimes.

if not, I think Spoiled's advice to get to the airport super early and attempt to fly standby is a perfect solution. Peope do this all the time. I would not go so far as to pay $200 to switch.

BTW the reason the CL will not let you on 90 min prior is because they have to email a passenger count manifest to homeland security and have ship cleared by customs. They are not being mean or difficult. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes while we are enjoying honey stung chicken in the Windjammer.

They also have to pay hefty fines to the port if they do not pull out on time. They are not gonna do this for 1 family.

Also, pack light ,just carry on bags if you can manage. This should save 30 min or so.

In the future, try to fly or drive into port a day ahead of time if your schedule and budget allows. Who wants to start a vacation stressed and tired from just getting to the ship? There are many, many affordable pre-cruise hotel packages in all the ports. Plus, you get an extra day vacation.

Best wishes. :o

There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes while we are enjoying honey stung chicken in the Windjammer.

LOVE this line!! Should be a cruising motto.

But, yes, you are absolutely correct. People tend to think of weather or the time of year when booking flights and base things solely on that. My husband used to travel very frequently for a previous job. There are more reasons than ever someone could get delayed. One time it was because the flight crew had reached their maximum work time and he had to wait a long while before another crew could take over. Another time was when a gate personnel couldn't see the plane outside because something was blocking it and there was a 1 hour delay for boarding. The pilot confirmed this to the passengers by telling everyone he was wondering why people weren't coming on board.

I've never flown Jet Blue but if I understand their website, you would only see a $100 penalty for changing flights. For a $100 per person, I would change the flights and fly in Saturday night or at the very least take the 6:30 am flight. For me I would spend the $100 pp to not worry about missing the ship for the next couple of months. Weather delays would not be unexpected during March.

You can also call the at midnight, and if there are openings on an earlier flight, you can change for a 40.00 fee. Even if that flight was much more

:eek: Yikes ... I'll bet the OP's stress level is pegged out by now.

Nope...OP is on a cruise right now...nice!:rolleyes: No snow and no delays out of Boston, bet everything worked out just fine!:D

I always wonder why people don't (as the VERY first thing you do when you open a thread) check the original posting date? It's not hard and saves you the embarrassment of replying to someone who has posted a question about a cruise on which they have already been and gone ( sometimes years ago!).

So everybody, take the pledge...first thing when we open a thread..check the original post date!:D

Archived