Evacuation Drill

Aussie71

In light of the recent situation of recent sinking of the 'Costa Concordia' and the unfortunate event where souls have been confirmed as being lost (and missing). :(

I am wondering...

When the evacuation process is communicated to passengers during a cruise for the P&O Australian fleet?

What type of activity is it, an actual drill or just a communication of information?

Our family is going on our first cruise in June to the South Pacific on the Pacific Dawn.

The family is now nervous about the cruise. However, statistically I think there is more of a change of something going wrong on a flight.

Aussie, on P&O ships it is usual to hold Muster Drill about a half an hour before the ship departs from the wharf. Everyone has to go to their designated muster places and take their lifejackets. There is a talk on what to do in the circumstances of an incident, eg in a fire, if you can't see for smoke you should crawl along the floor following emergency lights to get out. You are shown how to put on your lifejackets etc.

A tip - get to your designated place a little earlier than the time given so that you can get a seat! Staff members are stationed in places to show you where to go. Don't worry, you'll be right.

Thanks Sandielle, I feel relieved that the information is conveyed before departure.

My condolences go out to those families and friends of lost loved ones when the Costa Concordia capsized. Also to those passengers who were saved but had to endure such a horrific undertaking.

They take the drill seriously on the P&O ships. Your drill will take place in your muster station, so you know where to go in an emergency. Everyone is expected to go, and to listen. You also have to practice putting on your lifejacket, and a crew member checks it to make sure you've done it correctly before you are allowed to leave.

On the back of your cabin door is an information sheet, which has all of the emergency instructions. It tells you where your muster station is, and how to get there. I always check this, and make sure I know where the nearest exits are. I do this in motels too, not just on cruise ships! I like to know exactly what the procedure is, should the worst happen, then I can relax and enjoy my holiday! From what I've read, it seems that if you know what to do in an emergency situation, your chances of getting out OK are much better.

Having said that, the chances of anything going wrong are extremely small, and as you mentioned, there's more likelihood of an accident on the way to the ship, especially if you drive.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't worry about anything going wrong. Just make sure you know what to do in the remote chance that it does! :)

Also - if you have young/er children in your party; your cabin steward will supply you with children's life jackes (the ones in your cabin are adult size) - if you don't have them ask for them; but they are usually pretty good at making sure you are properly equipped.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

It is also important to identify anyone in your travelling group who may need extra assistance in any emergency - eg someone who can walk but cannot manage stairs without assistance. You need to tell your cabin steward and advise the pursers desk - on some lines this is left to your steward but check to make sure.

Colleen

we did a b2b on a princess ship and doing the b2b you dont have to attend the second drill but we noticed people not attending as we stayed up on the main deck and we found out later they were first timers so in the event of something happened they would not know what to do

Thanks Sandielle, I feel relieved that the information is conveyed before departure.

My condolences go out to those families and friends of lost loved ones when the Costa Concordia capsized. Also to those passengers who were saved but had to endure such a horrific undertaking.

Be aware that they may not always happen before departure. Maritime law requires that they be carried out within 24 hrs of departure.... Operaltional requirements occassionally make it impossible to do before departure.

When we went on Pacific Pearl in March, we didn't start embarkation til 4pm, and we departed close to midnight, so the Muster drill was held over until 10am the next morning.

Occassionally on the cruises out of Brisbane the muster drill is done immediately after departure from Portside, as the ship is transiting the Brisbane River, rather than before departure, partcularly if they ship arrived in late, or embarkation was held up for any reason.

But be assured that P&O take it seriously.

Depsite having done 13 cruises, I always attend the muster drill, even if it's the same ship/same cruiseline, as you never know little things might have changed.

Also - if you have young/er children in your party; your cabin steward will supply you with children's life jackes (the ones in your cabin are adult size) - if you don't have them ask for them; but they are usually pretty good at making sure you are properly equipped.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

And on a similar subject, when you take your life jackets to the muster drill, check that they are ok; that the buckles work, that they have their light & whistle attached. If not, speak to your cabin steward and have it replaced.

And on a similar subject, when you take your life jackets to the muster drill, check that they are ok; that the buckles work, that they have their light & whistle attached. If not, speak to your cabin steward and have it replaced.

On the four Pacific Dawn cruises we've done, they've always got us to check those and always tell us not to blow the whistles!!! :rolleyes: I find it hard to fold the lifevests back again. Thankfully all of ours have been held before leaving so we didn't have to miss sailaway, or the sail down the river.

On P&O the only time you get excused from the muster drill is when you are doing back to back cruising. I no for a fact that P&O takes this very seriously because while on the Pacific Pearl last month we sat in the Dome while the drill was being undertaken and we were constantly being told to go to the muster station to every crew member in the bar. Each time we had to show them our letter that gave us the exemption. If our previous muster drill onboard was more then 4 nights before we still would of gone but it was so close to our previous one that we could still quote Zoltina-J (our cruise director) giving the announcements.

On many occasion I have watched foolish passengers making light of the muster drill and I think to myseld they will be the ones acting like chooks with heads off should an emergency occur and we need to attend the evactuation point. I imagine they are the same people who clown around during fire drills etc in their workplace. I have caught a few "shonky' ferries in Indonesia and I always manage to seek out a life jacket.

Di

P&O are not my favorite cruise line, however I have always appreciated the way they perform the Muster Drill. RCI normally do it on deck without the life jacket which is fine, however being outside on deck I find it can often be hard to hear the instructions that are given.

Any know how Holland America / Celebrity do Muster drill? Is it similar to RCI?

Every P&O cruise we have done they have done a drill and done it well. Recently we were on Rhapsody and had the drill. My husband commented that in a bad storm it was foolish to have everyone standing on deck. P&O do it so much better. On all 13 cruises the drill has been done in the first hour of the ship leaving or before you actually sail.

Archived