Valencia, Spain city centre tour

Ricky Chan

Has anyone done a city centre tour on his/her own? Oceania charges US$99.0/person for basically a city tour for 4 hours. It is too stiff for me.

I am thinking about taking a taxi from the pier to the city centre and spend few hours there.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Ricky

Hi Ricky, We were in Valencia November 2010 on our cruise with Nautica, We took a taxi to the aquarium complex, then a taxi to the city area where we took the Red HOHO bus which gave us a good overview of Valencia. We had time for a look at some shops before we took a taxi back to the ship.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Has anyone done a city centre tour on his/her own? Oceania charges US$99.0/person for basically a city tour for 4 hours. It is too stiff for me.

I am thinking about taking a taxi from the pier to the city centre and spend few hours there.

Ricky

Last spring we were in Valencia on Marina. O ran free shuttles to the city center. From there you can walk to various areas or take a short cab ride. Free shuttle back to ship as well.

We too had a free O shuttle to city center which is easily explored on foot (and well worthwhile). Then we took a HOHO bus before returning with the shuttle.

A pleasntly surprising and beautiful city - both the old and new - enjoy!

We too had a free O shuttle to city center which is easily explored on foot (and well worthwhile). Then we took a HOHO bus before returning with the shuttle.

A pleasntly surprising and beautiful city - both the old and new - enjoy!

We also did the free shuttle/walking around/HOHO bus combo. We were there on a Sunday & the city center was very crowded with a street market going on, the lines for the HOHO bus were long at the main stop by the cathedral when we first arrived. So we walked around some on our own & jumped on the bus when it wasn't so crowded. IIRC the HOHO had 2 different routes, and one route had a stop that was about a 5 minute walk from the pier, which we took to return to the ship.

Ricky

Thanks everyone's input.

I hope Oceania still offer free shuttle service in June. It seems odd to me while it conduct a city shore excursion and offer free shuttle to the city centre at the same time.

Can I find out before the cruise which port Oceania offer free shuttle bus service?

Ricky

Last spring we were in Valencia on Marina. O ran free shuttles to the city center. From there you can walk to various areas or take a short cab ride. Free shuttle back to ship as well.

LAexNY:

Is there any free city cente map available at the cruise ship terminal?

Ricky

LAexNY:

Is there any free city cente map available at the cruise ship terminal?

Ricky

We were with LAexNY on that cruise, and in that port. I have a city map in my folder for that cruise and my recollection is that there was a local hospitality desk set up on the Marina. They were dispensing maps and circling various sites we might want to see.

BTW, while we took the free shuttle to the city center, we ended up taking a local bus from there to the City of Arts and Sciences, which is about half way between city center and the port. After we walked around those grounds we grabbed taxis back to the ship.

We were in Valencia (on the Marina) in April 2011. The free shuttle took us to the area by the train station/bull fighting arena. From there we walked up one large street past many sights and into the cathedral square where there were bus stops (the lines were very long for the HOHO and people rushed to get on - wasn't pleasant so we didn't get on it.) I had checked out library books, researched, made copy of map - therefore had good idea of what I wanted to see. But I am pretty sure maps were available on the ship. It turned out to be one of my favorite stops. I did most of my walking by myself - lots of historic sights.

We were in Valencia last September and took O's shuttle into the city. There was an active, crowded street market that day, which we enjoyed. But we didn't budget our time carefully enough, so we didn't get to see the City of Arts and Sciences. We were sorry we missed it. The people who did go there said it was spectacular. They used taxis to get back to the ship.

We were in Valencia last September and took O's shuttle into the city. There was an active, crowded street market that day, which we enjoyed. But we didn't budget our time carefully enough, so we didn't get to see the City of Arts and Sciences. We were sorry we missed it. The people who did go there said it was spectacular. They used taxis to get back to the ship.

Oceania ran a shuttle bus to the city center. You could walk to the Mercado, Silk Market and Cathedral from the shuttle bus. There are local buses that go to the Arts and Science Center from the city. If you enjoy walking you can also walk back to the ship from the Arts and Sciences Center. There is a pedestrian bridge that links the facility to a neighborhood not far from where the ship docks. It's about 2 miles. We didn't have enough time to actually go in since we walked around the city center. Maybe this June we will visit the aquarium - entry is not cheap.

• 1 year later...

I really cannot remember a port of call where there was not a local rep on board in the morning and maps were distributed at that time. Of course, sometimes they run out ...

Mura

We were there in September on the Riviera. We used this company and filled up the small bus - held about 16 people with people we met on cruise critic. I don't remember the actual price, but it was a full day excursion and cost far less than $100 a person. There is a fair amount to see in Valencia and adding the ruins in Sagunto was special.

http://www.spaindaytours.com/valencia-shore-excursion.html

Archived