Lindbergh Bay? Island Beachcomber or Emerald Beach Best Western?

chiapet

Trying to stay away from the crowds and craziness at Magen's Bay and Coki Point beaches ... and it looks like Lindbergh Bay would be great beach for our large family with kids in tow.

Is my research correct ... that the beaches at Lindbergh Bay:

1) are a ~$6pp taxi ride from Havensight?

2) are NOT very crowded?

3) have beautiful white sanded beaches?

4) have crystal clear water that is calm?

5) have $6/$7 chair rentals from Island Beachcomber and the Emerald Beach Best Western?

6) have food/drinks and restrooms available at those hotels also?

And if so ... would you recommend the Island Beachcomber or the Emerald Beach Best Western ... for better food/drink pricing and facilities ... or are they about the same?

And if not ... what beach would you recommend instead for us ... Sapphire or Brewer's Bay?

ALSO ... forgot to ask about SHADE ... are there shade trees or umbrellas to rent at these locations?

As more and more people discover cruisecritic and read the recommendations for Emerald Beach, it may one day be crowded, but for now, it hasn't been except for when the Harley Davidson cruise made their stops at the beach.

I think more people prefer the food at Island Beachcomber over Best Western, but I like the pasta dish at Best Western, because it's something you can't get at every bar/restaurant.

There are plenty of shade trees.

One nice thing about Emerald Beach that few people are aware of is there's a nice kiddie playground down from the beach heading in the direction of the airport. There's even a tiny, tiny water park just for kids, but it's not always open. Many locals take their kids there for birthday parties.

As more and more people discover cruisecritic and read the recommendations for Emerald Beach, it may one day be crowded, but for now, it hasn't been except for when the Harley Davidson cruise made their stops at the beach.

I think more people prefer the food at Island Beachcomber over Best Western, but I like the pasta dish at Best Western, because it's something you can't get at every bar/restaurant.

There are plenty of shade trees.

One nice thing about Emerald Beach that few people are aware of is there's a nice kiddie playground down from the beach heading in the direction of the airport. There's even a tiny, tiny water park just for kids, but it's not always open. Many locals take their kids there for birthday parties.

Wow ... thanks for the additional info!!

The playground and water park sound perfect. So if looking at the water ... is it towards the right ... pass the Island Beachcomber? And is it free too?

Yes, it's to the right. I don't think you can see it from either Beachcomber or Best Western, but keep walking along the beach in that direction.You'll get to a rocky part, but keep walking, and you'll get to the playground. There are picnic tables there, so you can relax while the kids play. It's really a nice area, and if locals are having a party, they may even offer you some food and drink!

As to whether it's free. That's a hard one to answer, but it's typical of the VI.

Users are supposed to pay a $2 fee per child for the water park (that's what it was the last time I paid attention to the sign). BUT, whoever's supposed to be collecting the money is not always there! If the water's on in the park, and the gate is open with nobody to collect the money, go right on in and enjoy. If they happen to show up while you're in there, it would be nice to pay the small fee. If they don't show up, just buy a few somethings while you're on St Thomas to offset the water park fee that wasn't collected.

I sometimes like to go just to watch the toddlers having so much fun. They squeal with delight when the water falls on them from the structures, and there are usually iguanas in the vicinity hoping to pounce on any food someone may throw in their direction. The kids are captivated!

I think this is the only beach in the VI that has something dedicated just for the kids.

Trying to stay away from the crowds and craziness at Magen's Bay and Coki Point beaches ... and it looks like Lindbergh Bay would be great beach for our large family with kids in tow.

Is my research correct ... that the beaches at Lindbergh Bay:

1) are a ~$6pp taxi ride from Havensight?

2) are NOT very crowded?

3) have beautiful white sanded beaches?

4) have crystal clear water that is calm?

5) have $6/$7 chair rentals from Island Beachcomber and the Emerald Beach Best Western?

6) have food/drinks and restrooms available at those hotels also?

And if so ... would you recommend the Island Beachcomber or the Emerald Beach Best Western ... for better food/drink pricing and facilities ... or are they about the same?

And if not ... what beach would you recommend instead for us ... Sapphire or Brewer's Bay?

ALSO ... forgot to ask about SHADE ... are there shade trees or umbrellas to rent at these locations?

We would like info on the Taxi fare from Crown Bay Marina, Chair Rentals, and which hotel too:)

Any thoughts????

I've been to both. I prefer the Island Beachcomber. At the Best Western, we were directed to chairs way off to the side of where their own patrons were situated which I didn't realize at first. The attendant never came back for any drink orders. Also, the area of the beach where he set up chairs for us (and a handful of other cruisers) was not raked so the sand was littered with cigarette butts and other small litter. Basically he was segregating the non-hotel people:( Fortunately or unfortunately, it started to rain within a short time so we didn't stay, otherwise I would have renegotiated our terms:)

I've been to both. I prefer the Island Beachcomber. At the Best Western, we were directed to chairs way off to the side of where their own patrons were situated which I didn't realize at first. The attendant never came back for any drink orders. Also, the area of the beach where he set up chairs for us (and a handful of other cruisers) was not raked so the sand was littered with cigarette butts and other small litter. Basically he was segregating the non-hotel people:( Fortunately or unfortunately, it started to rain within a short time so we didn't stay, otherwise I would have renegotiated our terms:)

Thanks for the info ... I was wondering if the hotels would do that ... so not to be over-run by cruisers ;)

Was your bad experience at Emerald Beach a recent occurrence. I have been there several times, most recently in Jan. 2011 and never had that experience. Was hoping to go back there next month but may need to rethink this.

• 1 month later...

Archived