Womens waterproof low hikers

oratheeexplorer

After developing unrelated foot issues I've had to abandon my North Face low hikers. By chance I came across a pair of low w-proof hikers made by Columbia in Marshalls clearance section. I usually take a 9-9.5 and these were a 10.5--fit perfectly!

Pennyagain--the garden shoes look great--how much support do they have?

I usually have to buy a men's shoe or a women's wide if I can find them. I own a pair of Lands End mary jane sandals in a womens wide and they fit perfect. I am hoping to have the same success in a waterproof low hiker or shoe.

Keen is a great shoe brand, and was recommended to my husband by his orthopedic surgeon. I would say we own/have owned 10 pairs of Keens between us. They are on the pricey side, but are worth considering if you plan to wear them around home as well.

I ordered a pair of Womens New Balance WW967 waterproof low walkers for $68.60 after 20% discount. This is with free shipping and free return from shoebuy.com.

These are $104 at llbean and $96 at amazon.com. They are very well made.

I have had excellent success with Columbia over the years, they make a variety of low cut hikers and are widely available in shoe stores, sporting goods stores and online stores. I would also purchase a can of waterproof spray and give them several sprays with it. I have a pair that I sprayed some 18 months ago and can still turn a garden hose on them without my feet getting wet. If you are not doing any amount of real walking or hiking you can get away with a decent pair of tennis shoes that again have been sprayed with waterproofing.

I have had excellent success with Columbia over the years, they make a variety of low cut hikers and are widely available in shoe stores, sporting goods stores and online stores. I would also purchase a can of waterproof spray and give them several sprays with it. I have a pair that I sprayed some 18 months ago and can still turn a garden hose on them without my feet getting wet. If you are not doing any amount of real walking or hiking you can get away with a decent pair of tennis shoes that again have been sprayed with waterproofing.

Any particular spray that you recommend?

I second Merrell. You might want to check out something like this. I love mine. I just spray waterproof them to be sure my feet stay dry.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell-chameleon-arc-2-stretch-hiking-shoes-for-women~p~4346f/?filterString=womens-shoes~d~266%2Fbrandor~13400%2F

i 2nd Sierra Trading Post. note, some of their items are seconds, but we have been quite happy with several pairs of shoes and other items we have bought from them in the past.

last june i snagged these for $63 (shipping was free because i ordered over $100).

sort of a cross between hiking boots and athletic shoes. i had the alaska trip in mind when i purchased.

Asolo Xena Gore-Tex® Multi-Sport Shoes - Waterproof (For Women)

inventory is constantly changing. they are sort of a clearing house for deals.

app_full_proxy.php?app=146327295405912&v=1&size=z&cksum=24e448deab2f3c5bacb08f0ae8f48a6e&src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shoebuy.com%2Fpi%2Fprope%2Fprope389140_209997_jb.jpg

Propet Snoqualmie - Pewter/Black

http://www.shoebuy.comThe Snoqualmie waterproof boot has a Scotchguard treated supple leather upper and a cushioned insole backed with "Vaporex" heat retaining liner.

I have had a terrible time finding narrows at a decent price and got these today with a coupon for $37.00

Barb

Thanks for this. They had a pair on sale in my size so I jumped on it. Should be here in a couple of days now. My foot is narrow so it was nice to find my size.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the CLARKS WOMAN'S MUCKERS LACE-UP BOOT from ZAPPOS and thankfully they have free return shipping as they are going back. I've worn them around the house for weeks trying to "break" them in, but they are just too stiff for this long-time CLARKS wearer! :(

Time is getting short - gotta get something else immediately so I can be sure they will be AOK. I certainly don't want to be dealing with sore/blister feet during the cruise!

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

I purchased the CLARKS WOMAN'S MUCKERS LACE-UP BOOT from ZAPPOS and thankfully they have free return shipping as they are going back. I've worn them around the house for weeks trying to "break" them in, but they are just too stiff for this long-time CLARKS wearer! :(

Time is getting short - gotta get something else immediately so I can be sure they will be AOK. I certainly don't want to be dealing with sore/blister feet during the cruise!

I purchased Dunham low hikers for my trip in 2008 and used them again for my 2011 trip. They worked out great and I didn't have any significant break in necessary.

How about these?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61964?feat=506708-GN2

You would find them just fine but unless you are going to do a lot of hiking you will find that many shoe stores, Famous Footwear, Bass and alike, carry a line or two of low cut hikers in the price range of $49 to $69. Columbia is what I have and I noticed in a shoe store the other day some of the new models are waterproof...not that that would stop me from spraying them with waterproofing to be safe.

I ordered the Snoqualmie mentioned earlier because I have narrow feet also, but they were too short so had to return them. Think about ordering larger if you get those. I ended up with Teva Genea women's trail shoes from Sierra Trading Post, and just love them. They are very light and comfortable with a "mush" insole. (If you wear Teva flipflops you will know what they mean!)

This might not be much help but I was in Target a while back and happened upon a pair of Hi-Tec Hikers. I bought them for 39.99 thinking okay, they say waterproof, and they are cheap, how comfortable will they be? (I have bunions on both feet) Any way, I have had them for 3 months now and LOVE them. They are extremely comfortable, keep my feet toasty warm and completely dry! Believe me, I tested them! They also fit into a saddle stirrup very well so I don't always have to wear my riding boots. I don't think I will be so lucky next time looking for hikers in Target, but I will look.

I am doing a cruisetour in Alaska in mid may, and this lady from Texas has NO idea what to look for in a waterproof shoe! I'm currently bidding on some shoes on Ebay....i just don't want to spend $100+ on a pair of shoes i probably won't need once Alaska is done! My friend and I won't be doing a lot of hiking...i'm wondering if my regular walking shoes wouldn't work, and if i spray them with waterproof spray they will be good enough....thanks for all the great suggestions!

Anyone have any suggestions for where to get some good womens waterproof low hiking shoes? We are in Illinois and I have never heard of REI......and these are something I'd like to try on, not just order from the internet.....

Do a Google search on "REI Illinois" and you will find 3 stores in your state.

DON

I almost never can find my size in a local store as I wear as size 10.5 Narrow. :eek: The internet is really my only choice. www.zappos.com and http://www.shoebuy.com/ offer free shipping both ways. It is not unusual from me to buy several sizes of the same shoe and then return those that don't fit. Just the way someone like me has to do business. I can't even remember when was the last time I found my size in a local store.

thanks for the links!

DD wears 11 narrow :eek: :eek: :eek:

pretty much impossible to find!!

she has specially made shoe inserts for boots, but it's not a solution for anything feminine (which up to now, she basically hasn't worn)...

Archived