Best time to cruise in the Caribbean?

sachmo9085

My friends and I are looking at booking a cruise for 2013. We had been thinking about going in January, as that is when the cruises seem to be pretty cheap (which is good as several of us are back in grad school). However, I started reading posts that the water is colder then. We are thinking about either an Eastern or Southern itinerary in the Caribbean. For my husband and I, we love to snorkel and I am sort of a chicken about cold water for too long. I would also be bummed if it was too cold to lay out on deck on our cruise. That is one thing that really helps makes a cruise for me; laying up on deck with a drink, listening to cheesy 'Caribbean' music, and reading a book. Having only cruised in October and November (I guess the idea of a hurricane doesn't bother me; I figure they'll turn the ship another way if they need to and I'll just see different ports), I am looking for opinions on cruising in January and whether or not the water/weather will be too cold for being in the water or for laying out. I realize this is personal opinion as to whether the water is too cold, but I am just wanting opinions. Thanks!

Our preference is between April and October. We are from Florida and so we also prefer warm weather and warm water.

We have been in Jan and Feb but the water was cool. Yes there are lots of folks from up north that have no problem with that, but its not our idea of a cruise either. Give me sunny warm days and warm ocean!

Archived