Kodiak and Sitka and Alaska in extremely early May

xLibLabLady

DH and I are thinking about taking an HAL cruise that would bring us to Kodiak, and Glacier Bay in the first few days of May. Any advice or comments about the weather then? By any chance are wildflowers blooming yet?

As an aside, I see in pictures the road to the wind turbines in Kodiak is now paved.

Thanks for any help.

Well, early May will be getting nice and warm for me:) But for you, I would it expect to be cold. Alaska tends to be very grey in early May. But, things will start to green up. The heavy snow is good because it insulates the ground from the deep cold we have right now. That means the ground will thaw faster and plants will spring up sooner.

As for wild flowers, there will be some, but don't expect to see a whole lot.

Normally, the end of May is the best time to see print Flowers.

I hope you like "bracing" weather because that is what you should experience.

We were up there a few years ago, we sailed from Japan, and it was great. It was not cold, however it was very wet in Sitka, but since we went on one of those 'underwater rides' it did not upset us at all.

Try the winery in Kodiak.:)

john

We were up there a few years ago, we sailed from Japan, and it was great. It was not cold, however it was very wet in Sitka....

john

Well, early May will be getting nice and warm for me:) But for you, I would it expect to be cold. Alaska tends to be very grey in early May. But, things will start to green up. The heavy snow is good because it insulates the ground from the deep cold we have right now. That means the ground will thaw faster and plants will spring up sooner.

As for wild flowers, there will be some, but don't expect to see a whole lot.

I hope you like "bracing" weather because that is what you should experience.

Hi John and Mr. Green, thanks for your fast responses. Bracing weather is fine for us. That is a great point about the insulating snow. Yesterday I went for a walk in the snow with temperatures in the mid thirties, and unzipped my jacket because I was too warm. Also, since we live in the Pacific NW we have webbed feet.:p

If we arrive in May we will be on a cruise that starts in Kobe in mid April.

We have also thought about 2 week cruise this summer.

By any chance are wildflowers blooming yet?

in southeast? uh, no. i have a botanist friend who determines the absence/presence of threatened and endangered species for NEPA documents and scientific research. to be definitive, she uses the flowers to specifically key out a plant. she plans the month of july for all of her field site visits.

Several areas of the state are experiencing wild winter weather this year. I wish you could see wildflowers in Kodiak in early May, but I doubt it under the best of circumstances.

Both Kodiak and Sitka are interesting communities with strong connections to Russian America. The Russian Orthodox is strong in certain parts of the state, and both Kodiak and Sitka have Russian Orthodox churches. Kodiak was the first capital of Russian America, and of course, the transfer ceremonies after the sale of Russian America were in Sitka.

Archived