Taxi or Service for 8

kootz

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that the taxis & mini-busses are available right at the end of the cruise ship pier. Is my understanding correct, or do you need to take the Water Taxi to the little pier (downtown) before reaching the point where the taxis and mini-buses are available? In other words, do you need to take the Water Taxi to downtown even if you plan on taking an Island Tour by taxi?

Taxis are available at both locations. Coming off your ship the obvious choice if you plan to start out with an island tour or head for a beach is to grab a taxi at the right at the cruise ship pier.

If you take the water taxi into town, taxis are available just North of Little Pier, the tender/water taxi stop downtown. Just walk straight ahead towards the Court House and you'll find the taxis.

gary

gary,

Thank you very much. This is very helpful to know. In your opinion, is there any benefit to hiring a taxi driver (for an Island Tour) at the cruise pier, rather than downtown (north of the little pier)? Also, have you noticed that the sxmtaxi dot com website seems to have been hijacked? When I try to access the site, my browser gets hijacked to another site. Is it just me, or is everyone experiencing this same problem? One last question, my wife would like to just get a relatively quick tour of the island (with short scenic stops at some beaches, and maybe 30 minutes in Marigot for shopping). Will I be able to negotiate this type of Island Tour with the taxi drivers, or do they stick to the pre-determined tours? How long do you think a simple tour of the island like this should take? 2 hrs.? 3 hrs? Thanks again for your great insights!

mike

gary,

Thank you very much. This is very helpful to know. In your opinion, is there any benefit to hiring a taxi driver (for an Island Tour) at the cruise pier, rather than downtown (north of the little pier)? Also, have you noticed that the sxmtaxi dot com website seems to have been hijacked? When I try to access the site, my browser gets hijacked to another site. Is it just me, or is everyone experiencing this same problem? One last question, my wife would like to just get a relatively quick tour of the island (with short scenic stops at some beaches, and maybe 30 minutes in Marigot for shopping). Will I be able to negotiate this type of Island Tour with the taxi drivers, or do they stick to the pre-determined tours? How long do you think a simple tour of the island like this should take? 2 hrs.? 3 hrs? Thanks again for your great insights!

mike

Sad to say, but the SXM Taxi site hasn't been hijacked, they failed to pay the renewal fee for their Internet Domain. That's why I now post a link to an image of their page back when it worked (I host it on one of my own pages).

I think you'll find the same pricing and availability at either location. Actually you'll probably find more taxis lined up at the Cruise Pier early in the day. If it's just the two of you for a tour you should have much control over the itinerary for the two person rate of about $50 (plus tip, of course).

You could probably hit most of the well-known beaches and the scenic overlooks for a drive-by photo op and spend 30 minutes in Marigot (though that is almost NO time, at all - maybe one shop?) in three hours or slightly less, but that probably isn't the $50 tour. Negotiate. (Have a list of what you want to see in hand.)

May I suggest that you consider getting in contact with our friend Joyce Prince to see if she is available for a private tour the day that you're there. It will be more expensive, but ask for a price for a half day tour and see what she says.

If you do a search here you'll find MANY positive comments about Joyce and her tours. Her website, link above, is in the process of being redone and does not currently include information about her tours, but it does have her e-mail address at the top.

gary

Gary,

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I really do appreciate your insights. Regarding the Island Tour, I will actually be with a party of 6. Myself, my wife, our two children (14 and 11), and my wife’s parent (in their 60’s). I’ve read great things about Joyce Price tours, but I’ve also heard that her tours have a maximum capacity of 4 persons. Since we will have 6 in our group, would you still suggest that I contact Joyce?

Thanks again,

Mike

Gary,

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I really do appreciate your insights. Regarding the Island Tour, I will actually be with a party of 6. Myself, my wife, our two children (14 and 11), and my wife’s parent (in their 60’s). I’ve read great things about Joyce Price tours, but I’ve also heard that her tours have a maximum capacity of 4 persons. Since we will have 6 in our group, would you still suggest that I contact Joyce?

Thanks again,

Mike

As I posted in a thread here last month, Joyce has increased her carrying capacity.

She should be able to accomodate your party if she is available on your day.

gary

Archived