Is it really?

rafiki77

I keep hearing about how the Mexican Riviera cruise is not for children under the age of 10, or that it is unsafe at this time. So my question is "Is it really?" to both? We are deciding on going on a cruise between Alaska and Mexican Riviera. I have two special needs children and we will be going with Autism on the Seas.

I keep hearing about how the Mexican Riviera cruise is not for children under the age of 10, or that it is unsafe at this time. So my question is "Is it really?" to both? We are deciding on going on a cruise between Alaska and Mexican Riviera. I have two special needs children and we will be going with Autism on the Seas.

Absolutely untrue. My grandkids have been in P. Vallarta on their Xmasvacation and had a great time.

Think about a swim with dolphin (either in PV or Cabo), maybe a visit to the zoo, a daytrip to las Caletas.

Or just a bus or cabtrip to old town with lunch at the beach.

Thousands of tourists are having a great time along the Mexican riviera and it isnot more unsafe then any place else.

Not true at all.

It's as safe as anywhere else.

I think in Alaska we were in more danger on a bear walk in Icy Straight Point than on the streets of Enenada, Manzanillo, Cabo or Puetro Vallarta. Be careful if you see a cub and no mama.

I can't imagine what the source of those kind of comments would be. I'm a single mom and I've been taking my twins on Mexican Riviera cruises most every year since they were 13 months old. We just returned (to celebrate their 7th birthday) and it's more fun every time we go. We did a beach day, a party boat/whale watching and swimming with wild dolphins excursions on our three beach days - pretty perfect vacation.

Best,

Mia

Cruising the Mexican Riviera today isn't like it was a decade, or five years ago. There are very limited stops. Many people have stopped going on those cruises 1) because of the war and terrorism and other concerns for criminal activity, and 2) the reduction in the ports of call. Your stops are likely to be Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. Maybe you'll be on one that makes an additional stop. Both of the stops I've mentioned are considered relatively safe ports-of-call, and you'll be in port for only a short period (with the exception of Cabo).

The Mexican Riviera has been the scene of horiffic violence in 2011. At least two cities in the list of the top 15 most violent destinations on the planet are there. Acapulco and Mazatlan. What's been happening in those cities is unlike anything we see in our home towns. But I don't think you'll be visiting either of them.

There's so much to do aboard the ship, if for any reason you feel umcomfortable walking in any of the ports of call you and the children will have things to do. Each of us makes the risk acceptance decision. But I don't see, hear or know of anything that would cause me not to take children of mine to Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta.

I can't imagine what the source of those kind of comments would be. I'm a single mom and I've been taking my twins on Mexican Riviera cruises most every year since they were 13 months old. We just returned (to celebrate their 7th birthday) and it's more fun every time we go. We did a beach day' date=' a party boat/whale watching and swimming with wild dolphins excursions on our three beach days - pretty perfect vacation.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Hi Mia! I am a single mom with twins too! I have been taking mine every year since they were 8 years old. We just got back a week ago; we were aboard Sapphire Princess to Cabo/Ensenada. It was fantastic as usual. This was my twins 14th cruise (they are now 19!) and it was my 24th...anyway...we LOVE the MR-nice and easy to get to from Vancouver! So I would say to anyone taking young kids/older kids too...go for it...you will love it! We always do a beach day/snorkeling tour too. By the way; first time in Ensenada-was not going with any great expectations....We loved it there! Fish tacos for a dollar, great shopping, super friendly locals-what's not to love?!

I echo everyone else. Heading on our 6th annual mexican cruise with in-laws, kids and nieces and nephews this Feb. Never had a problem. We typically don't do tours...just find the closest beaches or wander into town and we've done well.

I will say that we really miss going to mazatlan. water taxiing to Stone beach was our favorite and the town had a lot of old school character. Spending two days in Cabo instead is like Groundhog Day.

Just returned from 2 weeks in PV...our companions were concerned about safety due to what they read in the press. Like we have always found, they never felt unsafe in any way. We basically spent the 2 weeks trying to figure out when would be a convenient time (due to school schedules, etc.) to bring our grandchildren (all under the age of 10) down. We certainly wouldn't do that if we felt anything was dangerous to them.

Archived