Remember the old days? 2006?

Ms belp

The OP isn't saying she doesn't look forward to her cruise or doesn't count down the days. Duh!

She's saying back in the old days we were happy with just looking forward to it. These days we research every single detail of the ship and cruise down to things we never would have probably considered researching like dining room menus for each day of the cruise, the name of the concierge, secret staircases, info about specific entertainment, we set up meet and greets with other total strangers we've been online thru Cruise Critic with, etc.

Does anyone remember a slower time when we just looked forward to a cruise?

I STILL look forward to a cruise. I just wish I could afford to book one right now. I miss having a cruise booked and looking forward to it.

I don't research it any more than I research car trips or plane trips -- I've always researched things to do/see on our trips.

Instead of spending hours at the libary looking at travel books, I use Cruise Critic boards.

Not too much difference for me for research between my cruising in early 2000's and now.

<<These days we research every single detail of the ship and cruise down to things we never would have probably considered researching like dining room menus for each day of the cruise, the name of the concierge, secret staircases, info about specific entertainment, ...>>

I've always looked at ship details. I've never, even now, researched menus, daily newsletter, or any of that other.

Planners will plan regardless of the method. My early cruises were researched as much as possible using brochures, etc. With CC the research is easier, and it's easier to get answers to questions you couldn't before. Behavior hasn't changed, IMO, just the ability and place to get information has.

Having see your last few posts, Ms. Belp, you seem to be getting a bit frustrated with the discussions here. Maybe time for a CC vacation? :)

it's funny - we just got this contraption that records mini DV tapes to DVDs. So we ended up watching our Honeymoon. We sailed Monarch of the Seas (RC) and we were laughing about how all we did was call the travel agent, trust them, pay the bill and show up. We booked all excursions through the ship.

While it's completely opposite what I do now, it was still such a great vacation!

It's just that the planning was different. I love to plan....and research...

the other funny thing was we met a person online before we sailed. Much more unheard of in 1996 than 2012. My husband was figuring I was talking to a serial killer on AOL. LOL!

The OP isn't saying she doesn't look forward to her cruise or doesn't count down the days. Duh!

She's saying back in the old days we were happy with just looking forward to it. These days we research every single detail of the ship and cruise down to things we never would have probably considered researching like dining room menus for each day of the cruise, the name of the concierge, secret staircases, info about specific entertainment, we set up meet and greets with other total strangers we've been online thru Cruise Critic with, etc.

How were we supposed to, or how do you, know what she meant? :confused:

But I agree that I often chuckle at the minutia some people want to know before they step on board. Before these boards, I thought I was a planner! :eek:;)

How were we supposed to, or how do you, know what she meant? :confused:

But I agree that I often chuckle at the minutia some people want to know before they step on board. Before these boards, I thought I was a planner! :eek:;)

Not sure what the slower time is, but there are still 24 hours in a day and I can't remember when there was more. Guess I got that Anheuser disease.;)

I love looking forward to my cruises be it slow or fast. I am just glad that I have something to look forward to.:)

Not sure what the slower time is, but there are still 24 hours in a day and I can't remember when there was more. Guess I got that Anheuser disease.;)

I love looking forward to my cruises be it slow or fast. I am just glad that I have something to look forward to.:)

ROFL @ "Anheuser disease." However did you get that, Miss Lowtyd?? :D

I sort of understand what ms belp is sayin I started cruising in 1981 I was very very very young lol. I cruised all thru the 80 and 90's before we knew what are rooms would look like and what we could expect. We went had fun and was surprised at every turn even w/o cc I would know more just from all my cruises. But there is something to be said for going intoyour cabin and being amazed either by how small or big etc. I still love cruising and can never wait to get on board happy sailing:D

I sort of understand what ms belp is sayin I started cruising in 1981 I was very very very young lol. I cruised all thru the 80 and 90's before we knew what are rooms would look like and what we could expect. We went had fun and was surprised at every turn even w/o cc I would know more just from all my cruises. But there is something to be said for going intoyour cabin and being amazed either by how small or big etc. I still love cruising and can never wait to get on board happy sailing:D

Hi Maria

I agree with a lot said, we had a brochure with maybe 5 pictures if we were lucky and we just relied on the TA.

The food seemed better because we weren't as well traveled and had different food than we were used to.

I still remember my first cruise- a 2 day out of NYC, I think in the early 80's. Did not know what to expect so it was all great.

We are going on cruise number 16 and I love the ships, food, people-all of it. best way to take a vacation.

Lynda

Took my first two cruises in the 70's. "Everything was so glamorous' except our staterooms. My parents were very frugal. I think we slept close to the crew! I think if we were on the Titantic - we be the commoners who did not get a lifeboat.

I appreciate all the ammenities that we have now and I look forward to using these ammenties on my next cruise this Feb. on the Dawn.

How true Ms belp, how true.

Case in point: A few years ago (when google street-view came out) we did a "google walk" of a main street in Miami to check out our hotel location etc.

Well, we 'google-zoomed' up and down that street I don't know how many times. The hotel, the stores, the intersections, we saw it all and by the time we arrived in Miami it felt as if we had already been there...many times over. So yes, maybe we too research a little too much and miss out on 'discovering' the unexpected. Thank you for reminding us of a slower time.

Does anyone remember a slower time when we just looked forward to a cruise?

Hi Lynda my first cruise was 1981 on song of america rccl out of florida we had the smallest room ever with those shower curtains that molest you lol we were in awe of the ship and like you the food everything all these years later I love cruisin alll the time happy new years lynda lyle and everyone

Archived