dairy allergy - what do I expect

MSNEmommy

I read many posts regarding food allergies before our December cruise on RCCL. It was bad - no "accomodation" for dairy allergy. I was fed, but not with any choices or requests - had pretty much the same thing all week. They claimed all salad dressings, desserts, sauces had dairy and could not be modified. (True, almost all prepackaged foods include dairy by-products; but I couldn't believe there wasn't a chef on board capable of tossing some herbs into oil and vinegar to make a salad dressing.) This is not at all what posts here led me to believe... I'm hoping it was just a glitch, but don't know.

So, now we're booked on the Carnival Triumph. It's just not a vacation if I'm limited to eating unseasoned meat and jello - I'm hoping for a better experience this time. We've really enjoyed CCL in the past before my dairy allergy diagnosis.

What can I really expect? Will there be any dairy free dessert options, entree options, salad dressing options or will I just get what the kitchen decides I get? Can Carnival recipes be adjusted to use dairy subs or do I need to bring my own food and/or recipes if I want variety? If I need to bring my own, can I prepare some at home or does it need to be commercially packaged?

I'd love the Mongolian Grill option - how can I find out which sauces are dairy free? (I don't worry about cross-contamination since I can manage the symptoms of a mild reaction occasionally.)

Finally, if there are accomodations made for me, how much extra would you tip and to whom?

TIA for any information and advice

We travel with other common allergies- nuts, peanuts & boarding. SInce this is your first cruise with Carnival go to the MDR around 1 and let them know your needs. They will let you know what you can eat the first night.

On the first night and each night after that a hostess will come to your table and take your order for the next day.

It is my understanding that Carnival honors the orders and that is why they are taken the night before the meal. This is also why the first night's meal may be limited.

I will be sailing for the first time as a vegan, so I am also concerned about dairy. From everything I've read, Carnival does a great job accomodating.

I searched for 'Dairy Allergy'. The search tool actually worked today:)

The last link is a review cruising with a child multiple allergies including dairy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1509972&highlight=dairy+allergy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216535&highlight=dairy+allergy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1546425&highlight=dairy+allergy

Just curious - are you lactose intolerant or do you have a true dairy allergy?

I know that it may be a matter of semantics, but true allergies - like for nuts or seafood that may pose a life/death situation is a little different than lactose intolerance where Lactaid can help.

This is a true allergy. How I wish it were only Lactose Intollerance! Maybe there was next to nothing on my last cruise that I could eat because they had assumed I was "confused" or "exagerating." My reactions aren't life threatening, but are allergy reactions to milk proteins. Whey, casein and all it's by-products/forms seem to be in so so many packaged foods. If CCL uses packaged sauces/gravies, I'm in for another bland cruise. If CCL has chefs that can sub oil for butter and make their own sauces, I'm all set. If CCL can sub "milks" in some baked recipes, I'll be in heaven...

I had already read the posts from the mom whose child has multiple allergies. I am also thinking I'll bring some foods and recipes, but I don't know what is permitted or not.

I had already read the posts from the mom whose child has multiple allergies. I am also thinking I'll bring some foods and recipes, but I don't know what is permitted or not.

Actually, it's the dad. ;)

We also felt RCCL was very unaccommodating when dealing with Miss Swede's allergies (it took over three days before they acknowledged that their pasta didn't contain egg). Maybe it's changed since 2009, but it sounds like it hasn't.

By all means call the Special Needs Desk (305-599-2600 ext. 70025) and talk with someone (source for telephone number).

Have you actually contacted the Special Needs department to discuss with them your situation?

I would think it would be very difficult to accomodate your needs at the last minute or on the spot without advanced notice.

I just called them..Talked to Daniel C..

He said after you board, go to the dining room you have been assigned, and speak to the Maitre'D.

He /she will already be there, and will help plan the menu.

CCL has gluten free and dairy free breads and pastas (which I need) already available, as well as soymilk.

Daniel said they will discuss with you the cross-contamination issues if you have those. Fortunately I do not.

Sounds good.

Pat

Thanks to pseudoswede, Miss Swede's dad, for the number. :) I'll call as soon as I get a chance to ask some more specific questions. Carnival PVP said he lists allergy on reservation and I do not call, but... :p Will browse menus for 5 day cruise, get my questions lined up, call when I can, then post with what I discovered.

Archived