VICTORIA CRUISES-Yangtze River cruises

DREUX

I am contemplating a river cruise on the Yangtze River on one of Victoria Cruises' vessels for late this summer/early fall. Has anyone cruised on one of their vessels and how was the experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here's our webshots that include pics of our China trip in Oct 2002. We were on Victoria's ship Victoria III. When I checked their website, it looks like they took her out of service and now have all newer ships. We were very satisfied with the Yangtze part of our trip. The ship was clean, the young man that provided the commentary on the ship was very good and the food was always good. Buffet breakfast and lunch and sitdown dinner every day. The cabin was very small, but we were only in it to sleep. It looks like the cabins on the new ships are a little bigger. We want to do the same trip in about 3/4 years to see how much difference the dam will make.

Anyway, unless things have changed, we can recommend Victoria and say we would have no problem using them again.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rcicruisers

In March 2004, I took a Yangtze river cruise on Victoria Star. It was a fabulous experience. The ship was just rebuilded based on the old ship "Star Dipper" - it was then a brand new ship: rooms, toilet, bed sheet, towers, .. everything was brand new.

Compare to other ship I took (East Queen in August 2001, and Regal China Cruises in August 2003), I feel Victoria Cruises are the best one, not only because all the ships were re-builded or re-furnished in 2003-2004, but also the service standard. All their 6 ships are like a hotel chain, with the same quality level of service.

The only unsatisfied thing was that the GPRS connection for the Internet access was too slow. I spend 50 yuan to buy the access for the whole trip, but I just tried 3 times for 5 minutes each time and then gave up. :mad: I'm not sure if it is better now.

• 4 months later...

My wife and I just booked a "China in Depth" for Sept. 19, 2006 with Odysseys unlimited. Our tour includes 3 nights on the Yangtze River with Victoria cruise line and another 19 days in China. I've been told the ship will be their new Victoria Anna. From what I've researched, all comments about Victoria cruise line have been positive.

We were on the Victoria III which is no longer in service and were satisfied with the ship. The cabin was very small with no storage, but we expected that and had no problems. The food and service were very good. I would assume the newer ships would have better cabins and we would not hesitate to travel with them again.

• 6 months later...

We spent 4 days on the Victoria Empress on the Yangtze River in Oct 05 and LOVED the trip. The crew were wonderful, it's a very comfortable ship, but SMALL cabins unless you have a suite. But they all have small balconies you can relax on and watch the shore go by. The food was good while not being gourmet. Very attentive, friendly staff. Make sure you have martinis made by David as he is the ONLY one who has a true feel for a pour!

I would book them again if it weren't for having to go back to China to do so!

You can see my China pics at http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/904429

• 3 weeks later...
I am contemplating a river cruise on the Yangtze River on one of Victoria Cruises' vessels for late this summer/early fall. Has anyone cruised on one of their vessels and how was the experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We are going on the Victoria Katerina on May 7-10 and can give you a report when we get back from China on May 22 if that is still in time for your bookings. I will try to do something on this page when we return just in case.

Aussie Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Victoria II in April, '02. It is also no longer in service, but we enjoyed the ship. The cabin was very small with no storage--ended up standing suit cases between the frig and the bathroom door. The food and service were very good; I especially enjoyed the authentic Chinese breakfasts that were offered each morning in addition to Western fare. The CD made some very interesting presentations on Chinese history as well as travel on the Yangtze. I don't think you can go wrong with Victoria...we too hope to go back to see the effects of the dam; it was unique sailing around the end of the unfinished dam.

• 1 month later...

:) I promised I would report on the Victoria Katerina on our return and it was great.

We sailed from from Chongqing and finished at the three gorges dam project which is now due to be completed nine months early in time for the 2008 Olympics. Amazing what a small work force can do. They say about 750,000 will have been employed on it by the time it is complete.

The Victoria Katerina voyage we were on only had about 80 people so lots of room and wonderful service. The cabins are compact but enough room to move about and a good little balcony. Bath, shower etc, refrigerator, A/C a bit hard to control but certainly cooled you down. Walls are thin and we had neighbors who liked the TV on full blast but the cruise director had a quiet word on our behalf and that was fine.

The food was great in variety and plenty of it. Usual full buffet breakfast, lunch was a mix of Chinese and western food and dinners were special with free wine and lots of Chinese courses. You sit at designated tables for lunch and dinner but in a group you can still mix around on your group's tables.

The scenery through the gorges was a knockout every day. Good commentary in Chinese and English. The passengers were a mix of Candian, American, Malaysian, Chinese and Australians/New Zealanders.

Facilities were very comfortable and roomy. The internet was virtually useless as you kep dropping in and out of gorges and blocked. The gymnasium was limited and the equipment rickety. The shopping on board was excellent with an artist on board and other special crafts. The doctor's daily Tai Chi classes were very popular and the crew gave a variety performance in wonderful costumes that was great fun.

This is only a brief report and rather than try to cover everything, I can answer any questions which could help you decide.

Cheers

Aussie Bruce

Archived