Princess Embarkation Copenhagen

pungo3

For anyone who has cruised on Princess out of Copenhagen, did they use Stevedores to handle your luggage at the dock? If so, how did you tip them? Did you use Kroners, Euros or USD? What is the expected amount? I did a search but couldn't find this subject mentioned elsewhere. Thank you to anyone who can help.

The currency in Denmark is the Danish Kroner. That would be the preferred currency if tipping. However, you may want to investigate if tipping is necessary. It may be that the fees already includes tips or is part of the rate. For example, in a taxi, it's already included in the rate. I will ask a Danish friend and get back to you on this?

Pungo3,

I finally received a reply from my Danish friend regarding tipping. Following is his response:

"Tipping is not a big thing in Denmark as it is already included on the bill. However, it is considered polite to tip a little bit but not like in the states where I remember once a very offensive waitress NYC adding something like 10 or 15 % on a bill and refusing to let us out before we had coughed up the money - a very strange experience and something you would not see in DK!"

That's all he wrote. I don't know if that helps you or not. In terms of tipping luggage handlers, for myself, I would just look to see what everyone else is doing, and if it's a situation where it's even necessary or not. If you do feel you wish to give a tip, then you'd want to pay in the Danish Kroner, but since tipping in Denmark is not a big thing, I guess you may not have to give much. Here in the US, people in certain vocations depend upon tips, but this in definately not the case in Denmark. So if you do tip, don't get carried away in paying too much. I think in Denmark, leaving some small change might be appreciated as a kind gesture for great service, but something that's not really expected. As in the US, it probably depends on the service provided as to whether you want to leave a tip or not. I don't think I'd go to the bank to get Danish currency just to have tip money.

I don't know if I added any extra help to what my friend already stated. Essentially, it's already in the service your buying.

Have fun on your trip,

Steve

It is not customary, nor wise, to give, pay for, or even Carry any U.S. silver or change (and it's heavy). :eek:

Other countries do not understand the value (and the value is questionable) and makes the U.S. change undesirable. They cannot spend it anywhere. :o

U.S. dollars are acceptable; however, I believe it is just courteous to use the currency of the country and results in better value to the pax. JMHO :D

Archived