Need Dunns river info

Defenitly Water Shoes For Climbing, Keep In Mind This Fall Is Pretty Rocky And Slippery In Places, We Climed Last Year Would Not Even Attempt It With Out Shoes. We Wore Our Swim Suits Cause We Did The Tubing After, So I Dont Know About Changing Rooms. Hope This Helps.

Robin

I would also have to highly recommend the water shoes.. regular flip-flops will get washed away... I wore velcro tevas and almost lost one (but to tell you the truth the velcro never held the same after that experience.... We ate lunch after part of our tour and then had about 1 hour of shopping... I don't remember changing... We wore our swimsuits under our clothes and then just put a different pair of nylon shorts over our suits after we tried to dry off as best we could... I went back in 97 though so it is kind of hard to remember....hope that helps some....

Sailing Mariner 5/22/5. Taking Ocho Rios Highlight/Dunns river excursion.Are there places to change for the shopping phase of the tour? Should you go barefoot or shoes for the Falls climbing?

If I'm not mistaken, they require you to have a particular type of shoe that you have to rent or purchase.

My Husband And I Did This On Our Last Cruise To Western Carribbean.. We Are Bot Fairly Fit And I Found The Climbing Of The Falls To Be Quite Treacherous. I Didn't Care For It For Several Reasons... Rocks Are Very Slippery - Even With The Required Water Shoes. Our Guide Made Our Entire Group (maybe 12 People) Hold Hands As A Group And You Had To Go At Everyones' Pace. The Other Thing I Didn't Like Was That The Guide Simply Took Our Belongings: Bags Of Any Type And Carried Them Himself As We Climbed... I Found That To Be Not Too Secure Since I Had Wallet And Camera In My Bag...

Maybe Things Have Changed Since That Cruise In 2000, But I Doubt It - Unless They Now Offer Lockers.

About a year and a half ago, we cruised with a large group of friends and we climbed the falls. I would definately recommend water shoes, I did not have them and got a few cuts on top of the problems climbing. I am athletic, but not the most graceful person! I wound up with several bruises including a rather large one that covered a large area of my backsideand showed out of the bottom of my bathingsuit for the rest of the cruise! This had a lot to do with several of my friends are rock climbers and convinced the rest of us to not follow the normal route but to basically climb up the middle, never again! They did have lockers at the begining/end for our stuff.

We went last week and I wore water shoes and my wife wore old tennis shoes. We did see the reminates of lesser shoes on the banks. The guides now have their names on the back of their shirts, so if the do offer to hold your stuff, you know who they are. There is a changing area near to place where you meet the guides. They do offer lockers around this area too.

We were there last week as well. I agree with Setcarp about the facilities. Very clean and beautiful area. I did wear old tennis shoes and am very glad that I did. My husband had the mesh type water shoes from Land's End and he was very dissatisfied with them. They filled up with sand and tiny rocks and were very slippery on the rocks. I still wore mine around for the rest of our day and did just fine. We stayed at the falls a little less than 2 hours. There were 4 of us and we did not use a guide.(had read previous posts about not using one) However, as we were leaving, there is a sign that says that climbing falls is a guided tour only. We did fine though. hope this helps.We booked through Orville Taylor.

Pat

I hope you are in good shape. It is very slippery and there also is a little walk bridge you have to walk under. I remember this well because my girlfriend cracked her head on it. We wore regular tennis shoes, I am sure some kind of water shoe would have worked better. We were not a part of a tour, just took a cab there on our own. When you get to the top that is where the fun really begins as you are attacked by beggers and vendors in a shopping area. Kinda like Disney/Universal Studios when you get off a ride you have to walk through a store before you are free. Only this is different because 3 people wanted to sell me weed. To be quite honest it was a horrible experience and not fun at all. We were both young 20's and 30's so its not like I attempted it with a walker. Good luck to you if you go.

Falls can be treachorous, even for the physically fit, as it is difficult to tell where you are stepping and you can step in holes between the rocks and go down 2 ft. Water shoes are a must. Our guides had us hold hands as we climbed but if one person slips it throws everyone a little off balance. There are lockers there that rent for $8, you get $5 back when you turn in the key. I wouldnt leave anything of major value (like Visa card or passports in the locker either, cameras and clothes ok) as one hefty tug could probably force it open).I had a water wallet on a lanyard tucked inside my bathing suit. (Yes the fashion police were ready to arrest me, but my money was with me) If you want to avoid the aggressive craft vendors exit Dunn River Falls through the entrance area not the portion marked exit. You will end up by the parking lot wherte you were dropped off. Downtown area shops at Taj Mahal plaza or Sans ?. Gem Palace seemed to have the most variety of touristy souveneir. Nice jewelry at Royal shops. Many adults on ship were approached while in O.R. and offered weed.

Archived