When is the best time to pay in full?

AVAMARIE

If we have the money would we be better off paying for our cruise before the deadline? Or is it better to wait? We are sailing on the Sun to Alaska on 8/29 and have until the end of June. We have the money now, but a co-worker told me to wait to pay. I just wondered what the benefits would be either way.
This is our first cruise and I am so excited I am wishing the whole summer away as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Not sure why you would pay early, but waiting will allow your money to accrue additional interest in the bank while waiting to be spent. Paying early, just lets NCL put the money in their own bank to collect interest.

I might pay a couple weeks early to assure everything goes smoothly, but no earlier than that.

NCL-Star Hawaii 2002
NCL-Crown S. America 12/04

Add to the last post protecting yourself in case of a need to cancel before the final payment is due. In this case it could take them up to 90 days to give you back your money.

Why have more money tied up with the cruiseline then need be?

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

I guess there would be no sense then in paying any earlier than we have to. I guess I get a little panicky that we will lose our balcony cabin or something. Being our first cruise, I am a little nervous about some of the details. We don't know what to expect exactly. These boards have been great though. I have learned alot about packing and excursions and feel a lot more prepared about some stuff. Thanks for your input.

You won't lose your balcony cabin..you've put a deposit down, so you're safe. I would concur with the others that you shouldn't pay your full payment until it's due. Keep that money in the bank!

My husband and I will be taking our 4th cruise in February. We're completely hooked!! I hope you have a wonderful first crusing experience!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;4;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until we sail!!!

NCL Spirit - February 2005
Grand Princess - May 2003
NCL Sun - May 2002
NCL Sea - May 2000

Yes, congrats on your first cruise, and a balcony at that!!

Don't over worry about your booking, let your TA do that.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

I think it's also best to pay when final payment is due and not before in case their are any price reductions. I'd pay a day or two before final payment is due.

Congratulations on your first cruise. Doing Alaska with a balcony will most certainly get you hooked. Please write a review when you return. And welcome to the board! I suggest you check out the Roll Call board and the Ports of Call - Alaska board.

Cecilia
[email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

Everyone has been very helpful and I will wait until a short time prior to pay our cruises. I have finally been able to talk my boyfriend into taking this cruise and I am really happy to hear that he will be addicted to cruising. I can't imagine a more relaxing vacation, instead of driving around, getting lost and arguing because he won't stop and ask directions (does he sound like a typical male?)
Just kidding. I have been reading the roll call forum and hopefully will find others who are cruising when we are. These boards are truly so helpful and just get me more excited.

Hi Avamarie,I too am a first time cruiser,but we have to wait till April/05.....pout!As like you I'm learning a lot from these message boards.One thing I would like to know,is what do we do with our room keys when we are in the pool?This is just one of several questions I have.Just like you I'm wishing this year away.Have a great cruise!

There is absolutely ZERO upside to making final payment one nanosecond before it is due. Why should NCL, or any cruiseline for that matter, have the use of your money before they are legally entitled to it?

[B]Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas[/B]
[img]http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/tef43/almamater.jpg[/img]
Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
And then:
Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

[I]Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.[/I]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Congrats C. Hope you have planned a cruise honeymoon and don't become a landlubber <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Shinemann! Unfortunately, no cruise wedding or cruise honeymoon planned. It's a Vegas wedding with a Paris honeymoon. But a cruise won't be far behind. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chicklet:
I too am a first time cruiser,but we have to wait till April/05.....pout!As like you I'm learning a lot from these message boards.One thing I would like to know,is what do we do with our room keys when we are in the pool? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi chicklet. Welcome to the boards. Hopefully you'll find everything you need. Don't be shy...explore all the Cruise Critic boards. There's information in every crevice.

To answer your question, many people use a lanyard for their key. Others have mentioned waterproof pouches that you can keep on you. There are lots of things you can do with your key while you're in the pool. Hopefully the members will chime in with other ideas.

Cecilia
[email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

Chicklet,

On most ships these days (certainly not all) your on board charge / ID / room key are one and the same. My wife just tosses her's in a tote bag or in her sunglasses case.

Generally speaking, no one is going to try and snatch it on board ship.

The bigger problem is what to do with it when you are off the ship, and of course these are the same challenges you'd have on any land vacation.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

A Lanyard is a cord necklace with a plastic zipper or zip-lock "purse" on the end. It looks kind of like those name badges people wear at a convention.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)