Carnival Taking a Break from Social Media

cdamion

It is pretty well documented that the cause is human/captains error. So there is no big urgent need to communicate with the public and keep the "negative press" going. The main thing at this point is taking care of the passengers, crew and their families. And it is none of our business on what is being communicated with them. If I were Carnival (and a share holder) I would want to slow down the spin and be able to control what I could and thus shut down the social media sites for a few days and this would include JH's page. There really is no reason for them to keep answering the same "safety" questions or "how did this happen" or "what are you doing now" other than to satisfy our own need for "gossip" and "noseyness" (that's a word isnt it...if not I just made it one:)).

No win situation for them.

If they talk about fun times sailing with Carnival, people will complain that they are being insensitive to the tragedy.

If they talk about safety features, people will complain that they are going overboard and reacting too much to the media coverage.

If they go silent, people comment and complain that they are doing/saying nothing.

Im just glad I am not a marketing person for Carnival right now.

Agree 100%

I'm a PR/social media professional and think they made a very smart and strategic move here. I'm sure when appropriate they'll use the social channels to communicate important information, or updates when they can. They could go on as business as usual, but they are being respectful. I don't care to hear about their dry docks or see photos, knowing that there is a major crisis happening.

They even say they will continue to answer questions etc. so they are not going radio silent or simply saying 'no comment'. I'm sure they will use press releases to provide everyone with important updates.

Plus, this news cycle is crazy, the news and coverage is just never ending. I'm sure the PR/social media team is working very hard dealing with this situation. This is likely one of the hardest things they will all encounter in their careers. Given the situation, I think they are doing a really amazing job. Let's give these people a break. They're only human.

It is pretty well documented that the cause is human/captains error. So there is no big urgent need to communicate with the public and keep the "negative press" going. The main thing at this point is taking care of the passengers, crew and their families. And it is none of our business on what is being communicated with them. If I were Carnival (and a share holder) I would want to slow down the spin and be able to control what I could and thus shut down the social media sites for a few days and this would include JH's page. There really is no reason for them to keep answering the same "safety" questions or "how did this happen" or "what are you doing now" other than to satisfy our own need for "gossip" and "noseyness" (that's a word isnt it...if not I just made it one:)).

It's been difficult to read all that has happened in this tragic situation. I have always read the JH blog and facebook but I can't understand why they are blaming the CC people for saying negative things. It is sad in such a tragic situation. I know it's not JH it's the certain few on his page who seem to hate this site which is a valuable information site for so many. I can't understand it and certainly think his site should be shut down for awhile for him to have some peace without his people fanning the flames. I would think Carnival would recognize this and respond. Why do people keep attaching this site, everyone does have an opionion and rightfully so. I find some of his people very nasty at times when anyone makes a negative remark and also feel sorry for him as he really does try to do a wonderful job. That is just my opinion. I surely don't want to offend anyone.

I agree with you 100%

is the brand ambassador the spokesman for carnival cruise lines, or the carnival corp? that's where i'm getting confused.

Heald mentioned a heartless comment you made stating that he had taken the Concirdia incident too personally. 450 people agreed that it was a cold thing to say. So I guess Heald is someone who cares about tragedies like this regardless of what logo is on the smokestack.

Excuse me Alan but this hero worship you have for Mr Heald is very unhealthy.

To quote Monty Python, "He is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty boy".

After what he did for my son I will always protect hi, especially against the likes of H2seaugo. I will never "runaway" from that even if you do call me Jehovah

Heald mentioned a heartless comment you made stating that he had taken the Concirdia incident too personally. 450 people agreed that it was a cold thing to say. So I guess Heald is someone who cares about tragedies like this regardless of what logo is on the smokestack.

you must have busted a blood vessel that he agreed with me.

The mistake they have made from the beginning is not converting their Facebook pages, so only they can post on their own walls.

This way they could have been informative, and kept the public updated with any news.

This includes John Healds page.

Having an open forum for anyone to input just leads to insults being posted over and over again.

Just like Cruise Critic.:D

See post 33.

I thought all the back and forth stuff was supposed to be done at this point...:rolleyes:

I guess it was too much to hope for.

As to the topic, I just saw on the news that carnival Corp has also suspended all it's advertising.

I think this is a good move. It would seem callous and in very bad taste to run the adds with all the happy, smiling passengers right now.

I posted a message on Carnival FB page and although they did not post their answer they did send me a personal message with the answer to my question /comment. As far as JH goes he is taking some time off right now and will be back next Monday.His worshipers are continuing to answer questions on his FB page.I like JH and thing he is a kind and funny guy.I am sure this whole thing is a nightmare for all of them that work for Carnival Corp and going silent is probably the best thing they can do as there are just no answers to some of the things that have happened.

I will continue to pray for the families who have been impacted by this terrible occurance.

I'm going on the Miracle Jan 29. I wonder if the captain is going to still do that joke when he goes up on stage with the other officers, "Whos driving the ship" I think Carnival may want to drop that joke.

That would cause even more controversy. I think carnival did a good job and "taking a break" from the 'social' parts of their facebook page. But at the same time people dont understand that this didnt happen on a Carnival CRUISE. Costa is owned by CARNIVAL INC. Carnival and Costa are just 2 of the cruise lines the Carnival Inc. operates. (I'm going to take the fast food ex. from someone else earlier). Its like saying Taco Bell employee purposely set a restaurant of fire. Would you blame KFC for the incident???

Use that ex. and apply it to the the sinking of the Concordia. Would you blame Carnival for something that wasnt even on a CARNIVAL ship?

No win situation for them.

If they talk about fun times sailing with Carnival, people will complain that they are being insensitive to the tragedy.

If they talk about safety features, people will complain that they are going overboard and reacting too much to the media coverage.

If they go silent, people comment and complain that they are doing/saying nothing.

Im just glad I am not a marketing person for Carnival right now.

Ditto

That would cause even more controversy. I think carnival did a good job and "taking a break" from the 'social' parts of their facebook page. But at the same time people dont understand that this didnt happen on a Carnival CRUISE. Costa is owned by CARNIVAL INC. Carnival and Costa are just 2 of the cruise lines the Carnival Inc. operates. (I'm going to take the fast food ex. from someone else earlier). Its like saying Taco Bell employee purposely set a restaurant of fire. Would you blame KFC for the incident???

Use that ex. and apply it to the the sinking of the Concordia. Would you blame Carnival for something that wasnt even on a CARNIVAL ship?

Better yet, if a Disney ship sank would you blame ABC?

i think i've read all the gossip, about the concordia, but i must say did they really go crazy on the media, when the honeymoon fellw, "smith" went overboard. rccl was pretty closed mouth about most everything. it was the family who did all the talk shows. carnival is doing the right thing here. let's give them a break. only after a disaster does thing change. you can bring 2 botles of wine on carnival, no on rccl. that alone should tell you something

Odd. But not unexpected.

Radio silence.

This is actually the worst time to stop communicating.

An open page is an invite for questions, good or bad ones. They want to stay away from that.

Yep, I agree, not unexpected.

Now I have found out how to block a person here...don't let the door hit ya

No need to worry your cute little head off. :D

Good, glad they are taking a break. Hope they do away with JH's annoying page too. :rolleyes:

All there is just to give those who cry for freebies. lame

If you have such a great deal of hatred (or jealousy, not sure which) why do you even bother going to his page? FB is a pretty easy site to navigate away from pages you dont like or agree with, even for morons.;)

Archived