Native Ways Stingray and Starfish

tampacruiser34

I recently returned from a cruise on the Carnival Legend and wanted to post a review from my Grand Cayman excursion with Nativeways.

I took the "Stingray Sandbar, Coral Gardens, and Starfish Snorkel" excursion with this excellent company. This trip was the highlight of my entire cruise! The trip, from beginning to end, was tremendous.

The people from the ships were picked up right outside the tender terminal, and within approximately 30 minutes, we were on our way. We were driven to the snorkel boats by Eldon, one of the owners. He gave us some highlights on the way, as well as expertly navigating through the horrendous GC traffic.

After a short drive, we arrived at some dock were we promptly boarded our appropriate boat. I was joined by 10 other passengers from Legend, Carnival Valor, and Celebrity Solstice. As we motored out to Stingray City, we were regaled by "Captain Jack". Drinks (non-alcoholic) were provided when requested. Then we were able to climb up to the top deck of the boat to enjoy the scenic trip out. Upon arriving at the sandbar, a most excellent experience was had in meeting the stingrays- Captain Jack even made me make out with a stingray! Good times.

We then had a couple of other stops for some good snorkeling. After about a total of 2.5 hours or so on the water, we had to finally return.

A great time was had by all on the trip.

One special note: Sharon, who books all the trips, and is a co-owner (and married to Eldon) is wonderful. As we were driving back to the tender dock, I asked her if there was a place for me to buy some Diet Mountain Dew to bring back on the ship. She made a couple calls for me to locate a place and make sure it was ok for me to return onboard with a 12-pack. About a mile from the dock, she pointed out a grocery store and said she thought they may have it (although as I discovered, diet sodas aren't real popular in the Caribbean). I was a bit tired from the snorkeling and thought it might be a bit far to walk there. Sharon then offered TO DRIVE ME THERE IN HER CAR!!! Wow, how awesome. She did so and I was able to score some Diet Mt. Dew! Thanks so much Sharon!!!

All in all, a spectacular trip with a great company!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

I recently returned from a cruise on the Carnival Legend and wanted to post a review from my Grand Cayman excursion with Nativeways.

I took the "Stingray Sandbar, Coral Gardens, and Starfish Snorkel" excursion with this excellent company. This trip was the highlight of my entire cruise! The trip, from beginning to end, was tremendous.

The people from the ships were picked up right outside the tender terminal, and within approximately 30 minutes, we were on our way. We were driven to the snorkel boats by Eldon, one of the owners. He gave us some highlights on the way, as well as expertly navigating through the horrendous GC traffic.

After a short drive, we arrived at some dock were we promptly boarded our appropriate boat. I was joined by 10 other passengers from Legend, Carnival Valor, and Celebrity Solstice. As we motored out to Stingray City, we were regaled by "Captain Jack". Drinks (non-alcoholic) were provided when requested. Then we were able to climb up to the top deck of the boat to enjoy the scenic trip out. Upon arriving at the sandbar, a most excellent experience was had in meeting the stingrays- Captain Jack even made me make out with a stingray! Good times.

We then had a couple of other stops for some good snorkeling. After about a total of 2.5 hours or so on the water, we had to finally return.

A great time was had by all on the trip.

One special note: Sharon, who books all the trips, and is a co-owner (and married to Eldon) is wonderful. As we were driving back to the tender dock, I asked her if there was a place for me to buy some Diet Mountain Dew to bring back on the ship. She made a couple calls for me to locate a place and make sure it was ok for me to return onboard with a 12-pack. About a mile from the dock, she pointed out a grocery store and said she thought they may have it (although as I discovered, diet sodas aren't real popular in the Caribbean). I was a bit tired from the snorkeling and thought it might be a bit far to walk there. Sharon then offered TO DRIVE ME THERE IN HER CAR!!! Wow, how awesome. She did so and I was able to score some Diet Mt. Dew! Thanks so much Sharon!!!

All in all, a spectacular trip with a great company!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

We love Nativeway too. They are very good to their customers, So glad you had a great time as well.

We're leaving on the 29th as well and have booked the Reef, Rays and Rum Point trip with them. I'm so happy to read your glowing review! This excursion spends a lot of time in the water and my concern is that the water will be too cold to really enjoy, so am debating about just doing the Stingray City part and then come back to spend time in town. Did you find the water to be pretty chilly and did it take anything away from the experience? Thank you.

I too did a tour with Native Ways in December and had the same wonderful experience. In fact when the marine authority was closing the sand bar it was Native Way's owner who spear headed the initiative with other tour companies to get the island commissioner to re-open it. They got our tour off when other companies backed down and didn't sail. (those on the Equinox ship's tour didn't go out)

The water is warm enough. Maybe a SLIGHT chill on getting in but you warm up instantly. I swam in a swimsuit and did not feel chilled at all. Didn't want to get out!

The starfish is basically a sandy bottom area of the bay about 10-20 feet deep and you snorkel and look for them on the bottom. If you have the air capacity in your lungs you can dive down and get them yourself. The boat guides will typically find a few and bring them up for the less experienced swimmers. There isn't a lot too it other than you get to see and handle them up close. It is fun though and another snorkeling spot on the tours.

tampacruiser-we were on the same excursion as you, I was the one with the 20 year old son.

I ditto everything that tampacruiser said. This was our second time using nativeway and were very very pleased with them again. Very professional, courteous, nice. Highly recommend them.

Archived