Port of Miami, 11:00 am flight?

parrothead74

If you go in a day early and rent from Dolllar, they will provide transportation to and from the port.....worked beautifully for us on the Destiny in September....

Do you stay an extra day after the cruise as well? Wouldn't renting a car for a day just to drive to the airport after the cruise be more expensive than a cab? I have done the rental thing @ Port Canaveral, with them dropping you off / picking you up in a shuttle bus to the rental office. Will they let you rent a car for an hour?

Do you stay an extra day after the cruise as well? Wouldn't renting a car for a day just to drive to the airport after the cruise be more expensive than a cab? I have done the rental thing @ Port Canaveral, with them dropping you off / picking you up in a shuttle bus to the rental office. Will they let you rent a car for an hour?

We fly in early the day before to kind of enjoy the Miami area..we take in the Southbeach, etc...it allows you to stay at a less expensive hotel outside the 'convenient to cruise port' area and give you additional flexibility...then you can just get up, drive to MIA, drop off the car and catch the shuttle to the port ( I think we were there by 10:30AM for our Destiny cruise..)..then after you disembark you can go to the shuttle area and Dollar will pick you up right there. It all depends on what you are comfortable with I suppose..but no, we don't stay an extra day after the cruise..we come home.

We fly in early the day before to kind of enjoy the Miami area..we take in the Southbeach, etc...it allows you to stay at a less expensive hotel outside the 'convenient to cruise port' area and give you additional flexibility...then you can just get up, drive to MIA, drop off the car and catch the shuttle to the port ( I think we were there by 10:30AM for our Destiny cruise..)..then after you disembark you can go to the shuttle area and Dollar will pick you up right there. It all depends on what you are comfortable with I suppose..but no, we don't stay an extra day after the cruise..we come home.

Thanks for the great info. So Dollar will pick you up even if you don't rent with them after the cruise? Do you get a cab from the dollar office to the airport?

Thanks for the great info. So Dollar will pick you up even if you don't rent with them after the cruise? Do you get a cab from the dollar office to the airport?

Dollar is located at MIA, there is a series of walkways that connects the car rental parking garage to the airport. We never had to get a cab, just tipped the driver to and from the cruiseport. Keep your rental agreement handy if the driver wants to see it, but we never had an issue. You can just board the bus outside the cruise terminal and be on your way.

Personally, if I had an early flight booked like that, I would much rather take a cab than wait for the rental car shuttle to arrive, then wait for it to fill up at the port, then have a long walk across the airport. You are building in a delay right there.

Our flight is at 11:10am on disembarkation day, so I'm glad to hear these responses. How easy is it to get a taxi at the port? Should we expect a long line if we do self assist.

Plenty of taxis. Even if the line is long, it will move quickly. I have never been one of the first off the ship, so you may have it even quicker than I have.

Personally, if I had an early flight booked like that, I would much rather take a cab than wait for the rental car shuttle to arrive, then wait for it to fill up at the port, then have a long walk across the airport. You are building in a delay right there.

I agree 100%. It's only about $25 for the cab ride. It is well worth it.

Yeah. We were on the Valor just 2 weeks ago. They said we couldn't book any flights before 12 noon when we booked. So we ended up only being able to fly to Detroit at 840pm...what a long day!

Our ship got in at 6am....self assist started at 645am for our deck (6), but the others were 745, and 845. We had an excursion (hense the long waiting day) that we were supposed to be off at 8am....didn't get on the bus until 10am to leave Miami for our excursion. The customs lines were RIDICULOUSLY long...took an hour just to get through that nonsense. It sounds like you would be taking a chance with 11am, since airport is 1/2 away.

Archived