Renting a Car in Cozumel

CarolRoy

Has anyone recently rented a car in Cozumel? Is it worth it? How is the driving - safe - roads? Who did you rent from? Any info would be most appreciated. Carol

2012 – Carnival Conquest – Feb. – W. Caribbean

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

There was a post on here last year about a minister who had a small wreck in a car he had rented in Mexico. He was put in jail until he could come up with the entire amount he would need to fix the car. The ship left without him, with his wife and another child, but he had a grown son that stayed and got things done to get him money. That just cinched for me. I won't be driving in Mexico. I've driven in many other countries, but I don't want that facing me. Accidents can happen.

Nancy

There was a post on here last year about a minister who had a small wreck in a car he had rented in Mexico. He was put in jail until he could come up with the entire amount he would need to fix the car. The ship left without him, with his wife and another child, but he had a grown son that stayed and got things done to get him money. That just cinched for me. I won't be driving in Mexico. I've driven in many other countries, but I don't want that facing me. Accidents can happen.

Nancy

I remember that post too. If you get into an accident in Mexico and you are at "fault" the other person can say they want X amount of money to call it a day. The people may say that they want a $1,000 dollars per person. You will be held in custody until the money is paid. I would think long and hard before renting a car in Mexico. Then again you may not get into an accident.

We have rented a jeep in Cozumel a few times and will again in April. We loved it. The roads are good. Twice we reserved ahead of time and once we just got one when we got off the ship. There are horror stories in everyplace in this world. You can't let those incidents stop you, we don't, otherwise we wouldn't do anything!

Has anyone recently rented a car in Cozumel? Is it worth it? How is the driving - safe - roads? Who did you rent from? Any info would be most appreciated. Carol

You will get opinions on this subject from people who feel strongly both ways. I personally rented a car and would definitely do it again.

You should consider your own risk tolerance level and driving skills. Do you drive well in unfamiliar places or do you get flustered easily? Driving there is not particularly difficult and the main roads are in good shape. Traffic was heavy in town, but not bad outside of town (on the day we were there). If you want to go to the far side of the island, renting a car is probably the best way to get there, and you won't encounter much traffic. But, you will have unfamiliar roads and unfamiliar signs and if you get confused or flustered easily then I would not recommend it. If you decide to do it, purchasing all of the insurance is a way to significantly reduce your risk, although we did not do that.

Good advice, CACkles.

Also keep in mind that if you plan on having a few cervezas during your journey, it is probably not a good idea to drive a rental car in unfamiliar surroundings.

That said, the vast majority of people who rent cars in Cozumel have a terrific experience. It's true that in Mexico, in the event of an accident, all parties are held until fault/damages etc, are settled. It is often suggested that you get the FULL coverage. The roads are pretty good, and Hertz, Alamo and Avis all service the island. Me personally? I'd rather hire a driver, but hey--different strokes.

The last time we looked at renting a car, we checked out this site with some great information: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Carrent

Hope this helps!

In 2004 I rented a Jeep with my daughters and niece. I couldn't tell you what company it was but that when we got off the ship we asked where you can rent cars. We were directed towards a area that was filled with many people holding signs, all hoping and bargaining for your business. I thought this was just awesome as you could never do anything like that in the states. We got a Jeep for about 25 bucks.

I had no idea that I could be jailed and I might think twice about doing it again, or at least asking more questions.

Best,

Sunny

Archived