Closest car rental agency to S.F. cruise terminal

Sandy R

Which is closest to the San Francisco cruise terminal... Budget Car Rental in the Hyatt Regency on the Embarcadero or Hertz at Fisherman's Wharf? Can we walk the distance? We're not staying in S.F. We'll be driving to Palo Alto to visit our son and daughter-in-law.

The Hyatt is 1.3 miles from the cruise terminal(Pier 35) and the Hertz location is about .8 mile. Don't think you would want to haul luggage that far. There is also a Budget location at 495 Bay St, which is about 1/2 mile. The Budget website mentions free pickup service so you may want to check to see what location offers that service.

I know Enterprise rental is about 1/2 mile from pier 35 and they will pick you up, we are going to use them in March.

Here's a map of the area, you should be able to input Hertz or Budget to get their location. Click on birds eye at the top of the map for a better view.

Bing Maps

FYI... for those interested in renting a car when disembarking a Princess cruise at the San Francisco Cruise Terminal, Budget at 495 Bay Street is definitely the closest.. 5 blocks if you want to try and walk it.

In either case you can catch the F, a street car line that runs along the Embarcadero. North bound will get you to Hertz, south bound will get you to Budget. I would, all other things being equal, go to the hyatt and use Budget. It's easier to get on 101 south from there to head to Palo Alto!

Can't catch a street car with luggage. I think we can walk 5 blocks with our luggage. An alternative will be for one of us to walk to Budget and get the car, while the other waits across from the cruise terminal.

Well, I guess it depends on how much luggage. We take transit to the airport all the time with baggage ; -)

One person heading to do the pick up would make sense. So would using the company that deliver/picks you up. They take you back to the rental location after picking you up and do the paper work then.

• 7 months later...
I know Enterprise rental is about 1/2 mile from pier 35 and they will pick you up, we are going to use them in March.

Here's a map of the area, you should be able to input Hertz or Budget to get their location. Click on birds eye at the top of the map for a better view.

Bing Maps

Do you know if there is any way they would drop you off when you return the car? Trying to avoid any walking with elderly parents. Thanks! Katherine

Archived