Ferry to Mainland: always rough seas?

DanielBu

Hello,

I would really love to go on a tour to the mayan ruins when we dock in Cozumel. But having read so much frightening reports about the ferry I am not really sure if I should do so.

My question is: Are rough seas a normal thing there or only on some bad days?

Mayby some people should post good things about their ferryride here to show, that normaly it is no problem to go on the ferry and to encourage other who are scared by some negative reports.

Thx.

Daniel

Belrin / Germany

Daniel,

Always rough - no; often rough, unfortunately yes. :( But the ferry ride is only abour 40-45 minutes, and most passengers do just fine. Eat some toast and crackers and pray for good seas -- the ruins are worth it! :cool:

Be sure to book this tour from Coz through the cruiseline -- too many chances for something to go wrong to risk this trip with an independent tour operator. Good luck! :)

Hi John,

"often" still sounds frightening cause me wife and I both easily get seasick on small boats and don´t want to feet the fish.:rolleyes:

As we are going to Costa Maya, too: Do you thing we will miss alot if we go to Chaccoben (instead of going to Tulum or Coba)?

Thx.

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

Daniel,

Always rough - no; often rough, unfortunately yes. :( But the ferry ride is only abour 40-45 minutes, and most passengers do just fine. Eat some toast and crackers and pray for good seas -- the ruins are worth it! :cool:

I have to agree with John. Everytime I have taken the ferry ride, it has been fairly rough. I haven't ever gotten ill, but then I look off to the horizon just in case. I hear apples help.

Nancy

If it was only "green in the face" or "feeling sick" it still might be NOT a reaseon for not going.

But were there lots of people vomiting? Bad smell everywhere? That would be awfull and a good reason for me.

Thx. for helping making a decision.

Daniel

If it was only "green in the face" or "feeling sick" it still might be NOT a reaseon for not going.

But were there lots of people vomiting? Bad smell everywhere? That would be awfull and a good reason for me.

Daniel

I spent an entire afternoon last May on the beach in Playa del Carmen right beside where the ferry docked. We watched people get off the ferry for hours and never saw anyone who looked sick, But the water was incredibly calm that day.

Daniel, if you and your wife get easily seasick, you might want to pass on this excursion (many people choose to wait until they can book from a stop on the mainland instead of Cozumel).

The ferry encounters rough seas more often than not, and remember, there is usually a long bus ride after that. If you are determined to go, you may want to take some precautions (no alcohol or heavy foods) or look into some anti-seasickness medication or a patch.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Daniel[/quote

Yes, a few people were vomiting. The rest were very still and quiet:eek: If you glanced left or right you saw the ocean rocking quite high! Would i do it again - yes - with sea sick meds this time!

We took the boat to the mainland 2 years ago to visit the ruins and since I don't really get sick in rough seas, I was fairly oblivious at first as to how many people were actually getting sick. I think after 1 or 2 people got sick, it just kind of spread and the crew couldn't pass out bags fast enough.

The funny part of the whole thing was that there was a young man entertaining in front of the ferry, playing a guitar and singing. He really wasn't that good and listening to John Denver tunes with an accent was sort of comical, but throw in people running to the restrooms, it all became sort of surreal. After a while I started to feel sorry for the poor guy. As more people got sick, he tried to sing more upbeat songs. Fortunately it is a short ride (40 minutes?) and actually the ride back that afternoon was much smoother and people weren't getting sick.

I honestly think the problem in the morning is that people prepare for a long day and eat a lot for breakfast and then the first thing they do is get on the ferry. If you are prone to sea sickness on smaller boats, be prepared. Dave

Archived