Cruise port to flam norway

ledris2

Does anyone know how far it is from the cruise port into Flam Norway? Where is the cruise port?

We will be there on May 23 on Brilliance and want to take the Heritage Fjord Safari. I am sure we can get there in time as it starts at 12:05 BUT we also want to take the Flam railway and that doesn't get back to Flam until 6:10PM OUR ship leaves at 7:30 which means we have to be on board by 7PM.

So I need to know if we can make it in time. Also I guess the fastest way would be by taxi. If there are taxi's and how long it would take.

Thanks so much. Not seen much on Norway posted. Hopefully more will come in a month or so.

Ledris

Thanks so much. That solved a big problem.

My next problem is that I think I would like to book a private tour with

www.fjordsafari.no. Has anyone ever heard of them. It is just 2 hours and 15 min. so I think I can fit both in on the same day for Flam.

Or would that not be advisable.

Thanks for your help.

ledris

I cannot comment on that particular tour company. And I'm sure their excursions are very nice. However, keep in mind that you are coming into Flam on a cruise ship (I assume, based on your previous question). You will be traversing much of the same water in the cruise ship as this excursion covers. Granted, from the description on their website, you will be given a personalized narrative and a "smaller boat" perspective allowing you to get close to animals and shore. But the path the smaller boat covers you will already have the opportunity to see from the ship trip in and back out later that day. It sounds like the excursion does go down part of a fjord that your ship will not be going thru. But not the entire trip. You might want to look at other things to do on shore in addition to the Flam rail. On my trip to Flam, I took a ship tour that took us by bus over land thru some great scenery and then ended with us getting on the Flam train at the top of the mountain and taking it back downhill to the port. I don't necessarily recommend ship excursions -- there are probably similar private ones to look into. Just a thought for you to consider. However.... I'm sure you probably won't be disappointed with the Heritage Excursion should you decide to go that route. The scenery in this area is spectacular.

I dug around and found my Flam pictures. Here's one taken from our ship looking into town. The train station is just to the right of the 2 white ferries you see docked. That's how far you'll need to walk from your ship.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Gz9JhFQaWUaVpwIG-1SK-tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

and here's a link to all my Flam pictures. It was foggy that day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rickchapman62/20110724Flam?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Does anyone know how far it is from the cruise port into Flam Norway? Where is the cruise port? We will be there on May 23 on Brilliance and want to take the Heritage Fjord Safari. I am sure we can get there in time as it starts at 12:05 BUT we also want to take the Flam railway and that doesn't get back to Flam until 6:10PM OUR ship leaves at 7:30 which means we have to be on board by 7PM. So I need to know if we can make it in time. Also I guess the fastest way would be by taxi. If there are taxi's and how long it would take. Thanks so much. Not seen much on Norway posted. Hopefully more will come in a month or so. Ledris

As correctly noted by MeHeartCruising, Flam is very small. Taxis might be possible, but I believe they would be very limited. As the below picture shows, it is almost a "stone's throw" from where you dock to the train/main buildings there in this village. Things could be a little different depending on how many ships are in this port when you are there.

Here's a little more on that great options, plus some other views in this scenic area. More on Bergen and other ports in this area are available from my live/blog connected and noted below.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” Our chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 58,753 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 56,736 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordsShipView.jpg

Here's a nice farm view along this great fjord and a Flam train view.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

FjordsTrainViews.jpg

Archived