WSJ article asks where is CEO Micky Arison?

eskiemomo

There is an interesting article from wall street journal asking many of the same questions I've seen on CC regarding the CEO Arison's response or lack thereof to the Concordia tragedy.

Buried in the middle of the article I noticed this: "Mr. Arison also has won over many investors by overseeing fatter profit margins than rival Royal Caribbean" which I wish they elaborated on a bit more. I've been on RCL over half a dozen times but sailed on a Carnival Corp owned ship (HAL) just once so can't really compare the experiences from a passenger perspective.

I am curious how CCL manages the fatter margins? worse passenger to crew ratios? something else? I know our DCL crew told us the pay on DCL was better than other lines they'd worked.

There is an interesting article from wall street journal asking many of the same questions I've seen on CC regarding the CEO Arison's response or lack thereof to the Concordia tragedy.

Buried in the middle of the article I noticed this: "Mr. Arison also has won over many investors by overseeing fatter profit margins than rival Royal Caribbean" which I wish they elaborated on a bit more. I've been on RCL over half a dozen times but sailed on a Carnival Corp owned ship (HAL) just once so can't really compare the experiences from a passenger perspective.

I am curious how CCL manages the fatter margins? worse passenger to crew ratios? something else? I know our DCL crew told us the pay on DCL was better than other lines they'd worked.

I am certain that Mr Arison (like his father) operate the business to maximize profits. I would expect the bean counters to watch every aspect of income vs expense and act to create maximum profits.

Mr Arison no doubt follows the simple yet effective business philosophy of Sir Jack Cohen (founder of the third largest retailer in the world, Tesco):

'Pack 'em high and sell 'em cheap.'

To be very honest,I don't like the way Mr. Arison has been dealing with the disaster. Sure, there may be things we do not know about his decision (to not get involved), but I really feel the man has a distance between the actuall cruising itself and the office he holds. He is, I feel in many ways running a holding company- not the cruise lines. Kevin Sheehan for example has been with my expereince a lot more ''hands-on'' as has Richard Fain and Andrew Goldstein with RCI. They are also a lot more involved and approachable.

Micky on the otherhand seems very removed- the one thing I did not like at all not only as a cruiser but as a human being too was his tweet in regards to a basketball match the very day of the disaster. Sure, you might like your basketball (he does own the Miami Heat), but nonetheless have the common cuertsy, to refrain from celebratory remarks for at least 24 hours during a time that a great many of your customers and employees are going through tragedy as well as hardship. I would be the last person to suggest that as people have died the world has to stop and nothing else may be discussed, but publishing remarks like ''WOW- what a game'' to me shows unconcern for not only the people, but the company too. He seemingly just continued with his personal schedule after the Concordia disaster, watching basketball games and showing an unfortunate lack of concern for what was happening across the pond.

Yes, all these companies are in business for profits and I would not ever lambast that- I have cruised on Princess, Seabourn and HAL- booked on P&O in 5 months time- all Carnival brands. Carnival Corporation is the reason cruising is what it is. But my criticisim here is about Micky Arison himself- unlike Royal Caribbean, that is a business and nothing but, I feel Carnival Corp is big enough to be taken into account in some underlying matters. Their house flag for instance- anyways, best not to get into politics.

Making things short, I just wished Micky would show a bit more empathy to the disaster that has struck his corporation. It'd make a great difference I think, if it be nothing but symbolic or emotional.

Archived