I'm a little confused on what "formal dress" on Carnival means . . .

ladycaveat

My DW loved how I looked in my sequined dress last cruise.:D

dahling...you must have looked stuuning... :p

Now, did you shave or wax??

Panty hose, or bare legged???

Give me details! :D

Phlydude, I needed that...

and hey, I would take ANYONES out of fashion sequin dress over tank top and workout pants (the noisy nylon style)

Not everyone can afford to be high fashion, but you gotta salute those folks who at least attempt to look what they feel is their "bestest"

You might be a redneck, if.........

:D

My first cruise was on the Elation, and I skipped the formal nights entirely. I had dinner up on the Lido deck.

My second cruise was on the Spirit last January, and I rented a Tux from the cruise line. (You know you're a tech if you believe that a tie cuts off the circulation to the brain, thus I don't even own a suit. Helpful hint: Spend the extra couple bucks on the rental and get extra shirts.) Don't forget the camera. Some of the outfits were jaw-dropping awesome, and one or two asked for copies of the photograph. The second formal night, I actually went to karaoke in the tux and sang the song Men In Black.

And, yes, I did squack like a penguin while putting the thing on in my room. My mom was surprised that I rented a tux.

Even though I hate wearing the tux on formal night, I still do it just to be able to eat in the dining room. But right after dinner it's back to shorts and a tank top.

I would like it if formal attire was optional. It's a pain to pack, and I'm too old to play dress up.

My last cruise was on Celebrity and when they "suggested" one wear formal attire on formal nights . . . it was more or less understood that one wore formal attire . . . as in a ball gown or at the very least a beaded cocktail dress for women and a tux or dark suit for men. I've never been on a Carnival cruise (first time on Carvival will be the end of this month on Triumph). From what I've read . . . "formal" doesn't seem to mean the same thing on Carnival. What exactly does one wear to the Captains Dinner and the other formal night. I have several outfits that I sort of thought might be appropriate but now . . . I'm not sure. I have a royal blue below the knee dress with lots of beading and "bling" . . . another that is dusty blue (also below the knee) with silver sequines (sp) . . . and a third that is a black pant suit (with fly away pants), shell and long duster with silver beading. Are these outfits too formal for Carnival? If not . . . what would be appropriate?

I vote for the black pants outfit!

We also cruise Celebrity - I'll be on the Mercury in October. I too have noticed that more people dress up at dinner - and not just on formal nights; however, the people were a little older on Celebrity, and they tended to dress up more EVERY evening as opposed to just formal nights. For example many older gentlemen wore jackets to dinner every night.

With that said, at least on our Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Pride last year, people consistently came to dinner nicely dressed. On casual evenings, they dressed like you would expect them to. On formal nights, many guys wore tuxedos and of those that did not, suits. Nice, dressy outfits for the ladies were also the norm on our two formal nights. I have to admit I didn't look too hard, but I didn't notice anyone in shorts, jeans, warm-ups or sweat pants - people who stuck out like a sore thumb - on formal nights. That's not to say they were not out there; I just didn't take notice.

Maybe adhearing to the suggested dress for the evening is a big deal on some ships. But I have yet to take a cruise where this was a big enough issue that I take notice. I know it's a sore subject here at Cruise Critic. I wouldn't be too concerned about what to wear. But you can never go wrong with black!

Good luck!

I vote for the black pants outfit!

We also cruise Celebrity - I'll be on the Mercury in October. I too have noticed that more people dress up at dinner - and not just on formal nights; however, the people were a little older on Celebrity, and they tended to dress up more EVERY evening as opposed to just formal nights. For example many older gentlemen wore jackets to dinner every night.

With that said, at least on our Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Pride last year, people consistently came to dinner nicely dressed. On casual evenings, they dressed like you would expect them to. On formal nights, many guys wore tuxedos and of those that did not, suits. Nice, dressy outfits for the ladies were also the norm on our two formal nights. I have to admit I didn't look too hard, but I didn't notice anyone in shorts, jeans, warm-ups or sweat pants - people who stuck out like a sore thumb - on formal nights. That's not to say they were not out there; I just didn't take notice.

Maybe adhearing to the suggested dress for the evening is a big deal on some ships. But I have yet to take a cruise where this was a big enough issue that I take notice. I know it's a sore subject here at Cruise Critic. I wouldn't be too concerned about what to wear. But you can never go wrong with black!

Good luck!

Sailfish, I think you might be right . . . my two little beaded dresses are probably a little dated (I bought them before my last cruise in 2003). It's just that I paid a small fortune for them and get to wear them so seldom (like maybe twice each). Though I'm not someone who has to be dressed in the current fashions (hey, I'm an attorney and LIVE in boring suits) . . . it is a good excuse to go shopping! Tee Hee . . . .

Last year I wore a "nice" dress - but it was one that I probably could have worn to court if I were a litigator. This year, the guys (DH and 3 sons) will all wear tuxes and I'm wearing an ankle-length cocktail dress - it's nice to wear something that wouldn't work either in court or at the office:cool:

Okay ya all . . . what is "Magic Powder" . . .

It's a wonderful substitute for hair removal as suggested by Goin'Cruisin in a very long and fun thread last week "NUDE CRUISING." I personally tried it and stayed "bare" for 3 days, stubble in 4. It's an ethnic beard removal product that prevents bumps. It's also very cheap! :)

I have a black cocktail dress that looks dressy and doesn't take up a lot of room in the suitcase. Dress it up even more with the jewelry and shoes and voila, I'm as formal as I'm going to get. I did this on Celebrity last August and plan the same for our May 1st cruise on Conquest. My husband, bless his heart, wears his tie and hates it...

I've never seen any jeans on formal nights, but I'm sure it's done. I really don't like that idea, especially on Carnival, where there are many other options for casual dinners.

It's a wonderful substitute for hair removal as suggested by Goin'Cruisin in a very long and fun thread last week "NUDE CRUISING." I personally tried it and stayed "bare" for 3 days, stubble in 4. It's an ethnic beard removal product that prevents bumps. It's also very cheap! :)

OK..I'm 'bare'!! :D ...

So..I have 3 full days until stubble???

Just think about this when questioning formal night:

Who do you remember more from formal night?

A - the person who came in jeans and a tank top

OR

B - one of the people dressed appropriately in a dress/gown or suit/tux

Don't be a bad cruise ship memory for someone, dress appropriately.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Formal Cruisers of North America who remind you to please cruise carefully and wear the appropriate formal attire on formal nights.

I remember more the people that I enjoyed meeting and talking too,just because of their personality and not because of how they were dressed.

Laura

OK..I'm 'bare'!! :D ...

So..I have 3 full days until stubble???

Congrats!!! I really think it depends on the coarseness (is that a word?) GC says her's lasts longer, but maybe it's like waxing- if you keep using it, the growth tends to fade out..

Archived