Help! Atlanta Or Charlotte To Europe???????

Genn

Hello! I have a choice of flying out of Atlanta or Charlotte to Rome, Italy in Novermber for a Mediteranean cruise. I live in Charleston, SC which is 5 hours from Atlanta and 3 hours from Charlotte. I was thinking that our cruise line would book us on a more direct flight from Atlanta but thought it would be an easier drive to Charlotte (and an easier airport to navigate). Does anyone have any advice on which airport is better to depart from? And also, which one give me greater chances of a more direct flight? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you for any advice!!

Jennifer

Atlanta is a better choice.

If you choose Charlotte it may be on UsAirways that may not be in business at that time. Delta has a non stop out of Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

mcboo:):)

I agree with the others. I'd opt for the longer drive for a longer drive for a roomier plane on a direct flight. Also time of departure and arrival are factors to be considered. My body just won't take the overnight flights any more. You arrive in the morning dead tired but can't sleep (and even if you can, your room may not be ready). If that means an early morning departure from Atlanta, I would do as much of the drive as possible the day before; stay at a motel no more than an hour from the airport. Flying is tiring even when you do nothing but sit. My suggestion is that you personally visit your travel agent and go over the possibilities. It's easier for you to get the TA to flip back and forth if you are sitting there. Have the TA give you all the info on departures from each location, go over the pros and cons, and be sure to have a great trip!

Hi Genn,

I am in almost the same boat(pun intended) with finding decent flight schedules. I live in Nashville, used to live in Charleston (went to med school there) and we have really bad options for flights. I am not going to Rome until May 2006 but just checking the different airlines it looks like the best connections are on Delta out of Atlanta for me. Charleston is even more limited, but I too would avoid USAir as well. You can check on Delta's website to see the size of the aircraft you will be on for each flight segment. At this time, I did not see any 757 aircraft flying from Atlanta to Rome. It appears that all of Delta's airplanes to Rome are "wide bodies" meaning two aisles and 3 rows of seats.

Are you using the cruise ship airfare or trying to book it on your own? I have American frequent flier miles but they won't work for me to Rome, too many stopovers on unkown carriers.

Good luck with your search

Archived