Flyaweigh and delays

jbfestus

We booked our entire cruise package via Carnival, flights, transfers everything. When doing so we were told that if we did this the boat would wait a reasonable time if the flights were late (since booked via Carnival and arranged by Carnival).

I called to verify this today (i am a worrier) and was told that they would not wait.

I know I will get comments about flying in the day before vs day of, but we couldnt due to wife's work schedule etc.

thoughts?

In the past, we have let either a travel agent or the cruise line make all of the arrangements for us (airlines, transfers, etc.) It is convenient, but not the most cost effective way to do things. We now make all of our own arrangements. If it's only your flight that's delayed, odds are the ship won't wait if you're late arriving at the dock. If there are several flights delayed, because of foul weather or whatever, and a large number of passengers haven't arrived on time, the ship might wait. Typically, whoever makes the flight arrangements for you knows what time you have to be on the ship, and will arrange for a flight that should get you there in plenty of time. )Keep your fingers crossed that your flight isn't delayed for any reason). Might I suggest that next time, if you're comfortable doing it yourself, make all of your own travel arrangements. That way, if you can't fly in the day before, at least you'll be able to look for the flight that leaves the earliest in the morning to get you to the port on time. What port are you sailing from? What is your arrival time at the airport, and what is the cruise ship's departure time? As log as you're on board 90 minutes prior to sail away, you'll be all right.

i have done this all 3 of my carnival cruises--- never had a problem coming in the day of..... the only thing i hate about carnival booking the flight is that you get weird flights... as in ; your return flight might be out of Melbourne, FL instead of orlando and it may not leave til 4-5 in the afternoon... and wont get you home til 10 or 11 at nite..... and you usually dont find out the flight info til about 30 days out... if your lucky... i had to call several times the last cruise at 2 weeks out and they said" we have your flights and dont understand why they are not showing in your cruise documents".... oh well

i much prefer the way royal does it where you use their site and book your own flights...

our upcoming cruise in march i decided to book my own flights via southwest ( no baggage fees)- doing a non-stop both ways and coming in the day of.

When doing so we were told that if we did this the boat would wait a reasonable time if the flights were late (since booked via Carnival and arranged by Carnival).

?

See bold above.The ships captain decides what is reasonable. If your party is the party to wait for? You're SOL. If they are still waiting for 100 people? they'll wait a little bit.

As also noted, for Carnival to fly you to the next foreign port for you to catch the ship,,, passports are required.

Archived