Accesible Shopping & Scenic Island Tour in St Thomas?

Oh2Travel

Anyone out there who has taken this tour and is willing to share feedback? How easy is it to get on/off the trolley (for someone w/ a rolling walker and/or wheelchair)? Amount of time to shop at Mountain Top? What is at Mtn Top anyway? Generally worthwhile? Does the tour give you a true flavor of the island? Thanks!

Were the ship is docked there is a good shopping center Havensight. My dad had motorized scooter he was able to get around with no problem.

There were people that we know that took that tour and said it was not worth the money that they paid.

We were suppose to go on the tour but Princess cancelled it because there weren't enough people scheduled to go. I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and I know another wheelchair was already signed up when we did. So my advice is book direct and not through a cruise line.

Unfortunately Accessible Adventures (tour operator that contracts out the accessible tour) will not accept direct bookings if you are on a cruise ship (except Carnival) because of exclusivity agreements.

Mountain Top is a scenic view place (and there is a lift to the observation deck). There is a restaurant and some shops, but if you really want to shop I would recommend Havensight as somebody previously suggested.

Accessible Adventures has apparently changed hands and is not doing that well. I've had reports of other canceled tours and no-shows too. They were having a hard time financially before they changed hands, and they are fighting the "taxi unions" on the island (who don't want them there). So they have a lot of issues. Apparently they also have problems with their lifts breaking and the accessible trolley not being available for the tours too.

Again, if you want to shop, try Havensight. They have all the big stores and most (say 80%) have level access.

Candy

Actually, we're not as interested in shopping as we are in seeing some pretty areas of St Thomas--more of an island tour. I've visited several times before but all of those w/ me this time have never been there. I realize that we can (and probably will shop at Havensight) after the trolley tour but I just want to make sure that the trolley tour is going to give enough of the flavor , views and history of the island. Are there any of the taxis that would be easy to get in and out of (uses a rolling walker and a wheelchair for longer distances-can't climb up and in/out of a van safely) that could accomodate 6 adults? Other ideas besides booking the trolley tour through RCCL for $34pp??? Any other tour companies/cab companies that do personal tours AND that are accomodating to elderly, limited mobility passengers? Ideas appreciated.

After what happend to us I would book directly and not through the cruise line.

The following is from their web page

$32.00 per person/adult

$22.00 per person/children

All tours can be booked directly

through Accessible Adventures

Although that is what their web page says (re: booking directly), when you go to book a tour they ask if you are on a cruise ship, (and what ship). And if you are, they explain the exclusivity agreements and state that you have to book through the cruise line. I've recently talked to two people who had this experience (although their agreements with the crusie lines are also in peril at this moment and that too could change at any time)

If you do happen to book this tour, I would contact AA directly after you book with the cruise line, just to make sure they have you listed as needing an accessible vehicle. Sometimes the cruise lines do not communicate this fact to AA and they do not show up with the accessible shuttle.

Candy

Hi, My husband (W/C bound) and I just returned from a cruise to St. Thomas and a stop at Mountaintop. The issue is the driveway has large stones and very difficult to get through the stones with a w/c. The driver of the tour was great, we did not book through the ship and thought we would take our chances and we lucked out. The minute we got off the ship there was a great taxi/tour driver with 3 others already boarded in the open air part, we rode in AC comfort in the back seat of a f150 King cab.

Robbie49 The tour you took isn't an option for everyone. If you are unable to stand up or transfer into a truck then it's out of the question. I could have lifted my 7 year old onto a truck but my 15 year old is to heavy and while she may have been able to use her arms to pull herself up onto a truck from her chair those trucks don't have any place for wheelchairs. Both kids have rigid sports wheelchairs. So for a lot of us the only option is Accessible Adventures with a lift.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on this one in January and loved it! Patrick, the driver/tour guide was very knowledgable and friendly. The WC trolley has a lift in it and they even have a little folding ramp to get up a curb at one of the locations. The roads are a little twisty-turny but that's about it. I would go ahead and book it thru the cruiseline and then just send the company a little note saying you booked it and for what date. Accessible Adventures really relies on word-of-mouth promotion, so if you go on it and enjoy it, be sure to let others know!

If you go accross the street from Havensight there is a large Building with many shops at much more reasonable prices for everything(Liquor, Cigarettes, Clothes and Souvenirs). They have a ramp to access the shops. We go there everytime to stock-up.

Prices at Havensight are just as high as Downtown, they have a captive audience, you might as well buy stuff on the Ship as Havensight.

:D

My husband & I went on this tour in January 05 as well, and had a great time. Patrick was also our driver, very friendly. We had another lady as our guide. The trolley was easy to get onto and used the Q-straint system to buckle my husbands wheelchair down. He is confined to a chair and this is one of the few tour he can go on. Also, our ship did not dock at Havensight. Where we docked they were building a shopping area but downtown was to far to get to for someone in a wheelchair. After our tour Patrick dropped the two of us off downtown so we could shop and them came back, on his own time, 2 hrs later and picked us up. This was not part of the tour. We did give him a good tip for this extra service. We booked through the cruise line and had no problems.

Remember Patrick well, a real Gentleman. Did you know he is also a Policeman he knows almost everyone on St. Thomas. Took the tour with my Wife, who's also in a wheelchair I think she wanted to bring Patrick back home with us, he was so nice.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

If you can find a reliable, accessible way to get to MountainTop (sorry I can't help you with that; we took the ship's excursion before DH was using a wheelchair), the trip getting up there will give you a pretty good look at the island and some panoramic views. MontainTop itself is mostly a souvenir shop with a reasonably nice bar and an absolutely gorgeous panoramic view, if you are able to get up and out to the deck to see the view, which may be a problem for you.

• 3 weeks later...

They did a wonderful job with the family when we went in May of '04!!

Patrick and the lady(can't remember her name) were great. She gave us a great tip of where to eat & info on hotels so we could come back..We ARE GOING ON EASTERN AGAIN AND ARE BOOKING WITH THEM.

They did a wonderful job with the family when we went in May of '04!!

Patrick and the lady(can't remember her name) were great. She gave us a great tip of where to eat & info on hotels so we could come back..We ARE GOING ON EASTERN AGAIN AND ARE BOOKING WITH THEM.

• 7 months later...

Archived