Lamanai or Cave Tubing?

roothy123

I am torn between going to Lamanai or going cave tubing. Has anyone done both? I know it really depends upon what you like, history or adventure, but unfortunately I like both and so I can't decide. However, I love nature, so I'm thinking that the boat ride to Lamanai would be fun, especially IF I actually see birds, animals, mangroves, etc. The caves trip sounds quite fun, but other than it being something novel for me, I'm not sure if it's really all that wonderful. Any advice?

P.S. I am on a cruise, so time is limited, but so far it looks like we're the only ship in town, so I'm assuming things won't be too bad. Also, while not a young person, I am reasonably fit, so walking is not a problem.

I haven't done Lamanai, but I've done both Altun Ha ruins and cave tubing. Cave tubing was a lot of fun, but it was similar to something that you could do at a state park. (sitting in an inner tube floating down a river.)

I really enjoyed doing the river cruise and the Altun Ha ruins. It's something you can't do anywhere else in the world. Plus, we saw lots of monkeys! It was fantastic.

We are going to do Lamanai on our upcoming cruise next month. I am so exciting. It looks even better than Altun Ha.

Have fun!

Monica

• 2 weeks later...
I am torn between going to Lamanai or going cave tubing. Has anyone done both? I know it really depends upon what you like, history or adventure, but unfortunately I like both and so I can't decide. However, I love nature, so I'm thinking that the boat ride to Lamanai would be fun, especially IF I actually see birds, animals, mangroves, etc. The caves trip sounds quite fun, but other than it being something novel for me, I'm not sure if it's really all that wonderful. Any advice?

P.S. I am on a cruise, so time is limited, but so far it looks like we're the only ship in town, so I'm assuming things won't be too bad. Also, while not a young person, I am reasonably fit, so walking is not a problem.

I have done both- cave tubing with a private operator and Lamanai on a ship excursion. They were both excellent excursions but Lamanai was the best excursion I have done. You get the interesting bus ride on both, but the boat ride up the river and the sight of the ruins from the river is so fabulous, like something out of Indiana Jones.

The Lamanai trip is a very full day and I wouldn't do that with a private operator. The cave tubing I would book privately because the ship tours looked less organized and had many, many more people.

I think you will have a great time no matter what you select.

Barb

Thank you to both of you. I think I'm going to go for the ship's tour to Lamanai. Now here's another question: If you have been to both Lamanai and Kohunlich in Costa Maya, did you have a preference?

Also, Monica: I notice you're cruising to the Caribbean this month. You don't happen to be on Oceania's Marina, I assume? We're on that ship, later this month.

Ruth

I did Lamanai and Chacchoben in Costa Maya. I liked both. Lamanai was fabulous for all of the reasons listed above. The ruins and masks were great, but I loved seeing and hearing the howler monkeys too. Chacchoben is wonderful too. The ruins are of significant size and you could climb them (though I'm not sure if you can now). These ruins were not far away though and the tour was only 4 hours long. After Lamanai being a long day, followed up by a shorter tour the next, it was quite refreshing.

I haven't done Lamanai, but I've done both Altun Ha ruins and cave tubing. Cave tubing was a lot of fun, but it was similar to something that you could do at a state park. (sitting in an inner tube floating down a river.)

I really enjoyed doing the river cruise and the Altun Ha ruins. It's something you can't do anywhere else in the world. Plus, we saw lots of monkeys! It was fantastic.

We are going to do Lamanai on our upcoming cruise next month. I am so exciting. It looks even better than Altun Ha.

Have fun!

Monica

We are going through the ship Mariner OTS in March and would love to hear about this particular excursion to Belize when you get back if possible. I hope to hear from you soon after you get back :)

We kind of did both on a family reunion cruise back in 2005. DH went with the kids river tubing and I went with the adults to Lamanai. DH and the kids had a wonderful time cave tubing. They were all excited. It was a nice day for them.

I loved the Lamanai excursion for the history and the scenery. The only caution I would make is to pay attention to what time of year you are going and the average temps. We went in late May and it is the hottest time of the year there. It was 100 degrees with no air movement. The river cruise was nice and refreshing, but it was HOT in the jungle on the walk to the ruins and at the place we ate lunch. When I asked the guide where the monkeys were he said it was too hot for them to be out!:eek: I actually suffered a bit of heat exhaustion. If it were not for my sister recognizing the symptoms I could have been bad off. They ended up pouring a ton of water over my head to cool me down. Once I got back to the boat I was fine.

So, I would recommend Lamanai IF you are going at a cooler time of year. If you have kids along, they may enjoy the river tubing more. I hope that helps.

We did the Lumanai trip with teens...everyone loved it. Its a long day, so I would recommend doing it thru the ship excursion desk. The kids were impressed with the swamp tour and the ruins are amazing. We saw monkeys and a had a great lunch. I would say don't miss this...tubing you can do anywhere.

We have done both excursions. I thought the cave tubing was okay, but kind of boring after awhile. You just float on a inner tube in a slow and mostly shallow river. There is really nothing interesting to look at inside the caves. The Lamanai excursion we booked through Island Marketing was one of the best excursions we have done. The boat ride up the river was a blast and the ruins were incredible. They allow you to climb to the top of the pyramids. The view was spectacular. There are two troups of howler monkeys at the ruins and we couldn't not believe how loud they were. Our guide was very entertaining and they also served us lunch. We were back at the port with plently of time to spare.

Thanks for the input. As of now, I want to go to Lamanai, but the cruise line is not taking any more reservations. I'm hoping that someone will cancel, and/or they can add a few more spots, but if not, I may not make it to Lamanai. I know it's a long way away, and basically an all-day excursion, but I am now wondering if it's possible to do it with an independent tour group. Has anyone gone there using one - i.e., not by using the ship's excursion?

Archived