Dublin port to Waterford--are there day tours?

HarveyRd

Will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess in August docking for a day in Dublin. Is there a tour to go to Waterford to see the factory from there? I know it is 110 miles....

Railtours Ireland runs tours to Waterford as part of a more expansive tour. But those start too early for cruisers.

Looks like there is a 9:10 am train you could catch to Waterford that gets in at 11:36 and you would have take the 2:50 train back that gets you back to Dublin Heuston station at 5:18 pm. If you don't mind five hours in a train round trip for less than three hours in Waterford, that might be your best bet. Train looks like 29 euros round trip. Might be a relaxing day on the train with a nice view of Ireland from the train.

Would be a far from relaxing day! I certainly would not recommend it as any delays on the train (which can be frequent) and you will be in trouble. Its also a good 20-35 minute drive (depending on traffic) from the cruise berth to Heuston Station. Historically the site where the Visitor Centre is now locatated is not the orignal factory either as the company went into recievership and the factory is now more for toursist purposes than actual glass production.

Have you been to Dublin already? - there is more than enough to do in the City (or nearby) to keep you busy for your brief stay here.

Have linked some info on Waterford Crystal below

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Waterford-Crystal-to-reopen-visitors-center-88145102.html

Agree, I meant the relaxing thing would be the ride. But OP would only have 1 hour 40 time to get back. A late train and traffic on the way back might be problematic. I wouldn't do it. We did a rail tour from Dublin during a two day layover. Rail tours are great. They just don't work timing wise with cruise port days.

Archived