Buying Snorkel equipment

mitsugirly

We have our own mask and snorkel that we use every cruise, but usually end up renting the fins depending on the current of the water when we snorkel. We are both strong swimmers. However, our next cruise, we are definitely going to a snorkel spot that does not rent equipment and will need our own.

We are from Ohio, so no snorkeling except when we cruise once a year. I'm not looking to invest "a lot" in fins, but want something that will work for a few hours on each island when we snorkel. I also want the short fins so that they can easily be packed and carried.

I've done a lot of research on here with the following suggestions mentioned:

US divers Trek Travel

US Divers Shreddle II fin

Cressi short fins

Just wondering what experiences you all have with these brands and if any rub or not big enough in the toes area. I've read several reviews online with complaints of the Cressi fins being too tight.

Also, which is better the closed heel or open heel?

Do they make any fins for young children (3-4 years old) that would help with swimming? Our daughter snorkels with us, but sometimes we would have to pull her along to keep her going our speed and thought maybe fins would help her as well.

There are no dive shops that I'm aware of around here and plan on purchasing some online.

Also, what is the best place to purchase the snorkel vest?

If you have found great prices on a certain website, do tell. :D

Thanks for you help. :)

After many years of full-foot fins that always hurt my feet and raised blisters, I finally bought a pair of Deep See Aqua Glide open heel fins at our local dive shop for $30. They have a split blade design and solid heel straps. They are similar to other brands I have seen. Used them last week at Roatan, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman for 8 snorkel excursions and LOVE them!! Easier to put on, easier to take off, easier to pack (you can stuff things like bottles of sunscreen into them if you check your gear luggage suitcase).

Also got a good deal and fast service on an optical correction mask and snorkel vests from www.snorkelcity.com . They have kid's snorkel equipment.

You could check Walmart, Costco, or Target. They quite often have not bad shorty fins with open heels.

I bought a pair of open heal Mares from our local dive shop and cut a bit off the ends so they fit in my carry-on and they work great. I even use them for suba diving in the Caribbean.

They're shorter than the ones they replaced, but they are still not the "travel size". Main point is the strong preference for the open heel. Not only is it more comfortable, but it takes about 3" off the length.

Oh gotcha. Great advice. I did look up the US divers shredder II fins and they "look" real comfortable. The have a cushion around the strap that goes around the heel part and also have a 2nd strap that goes around the ankle. :D

72456.jpg

I'm thinking these might be a good choice.

Anyone had any experience with these?

You could check Walmart, Costco, or Target. They quite often have not bad shorty fins with open heels.

I bought a pair of open heal Mares from our local dive shop and cut a bit off the ends so they fit in my carry-on and they work great. I even use them for suba diving in the Caribbean.

The only problem is that it's now winter and they (Walmart and Target) will not have summer swimming things out for a long time now. Plus I know I have never seen these types of fins there before.

As for Costco, I know several people on here have mentioned the "sets" they bought there, but we don't have a membership to there. Plus not even sure if they would have things like this there in the middle of winter either. :(

So, I'm pretty much forced to buy online.

Oh gotcha. Great advice. I did look up the US divers shredder II fins and they "look" real comfortable. The have a cushion around the strap that goes around the heel part and also have a 2nd strap that goes around the ankle. :D

72456.jpg

I'm thinking these might be a good choice.

Anyone had any experience with these?

We bought the US Divers Travel Trek Snorkeling Fins from the following Amazon store last August as we wanted to have shorter fins while travelling. On a 7 day trip to the Cook Islands, we used them every day and found them very good, especially for both mine and DH's wide feet.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Travel-Ready-Snorkeling/dp/B003H4N1LG/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&m=A3B5GGRFCW0VBX&s=sporting-goods&qid=1327648149&sr=1-20

They also have children's sets, if you are concerned about fitting for your daughter you could email them for information

Even though they needed to be shipped to Australia, I still saved money on the fins and new snorkels we purchased than if I had bought here plus everything arrived within about 10 days - very good service.

They are packed and ready for our cruise around the South Pacific in 8 weeks!!

Hi, my girlfriend and I recently came back from a cruise over Christmas. Before we left I bought her a pair of the Aquaglide fins that Chalker Guy mentioned. She said they were perfect and we had fast, like 3-4 day, delivery from when we ordered with ground shipping. We ordered from Snorkelcity.com and I'll buy from there again.

As far as the foot pocket is concerned I land on the side of open heel fins. They are shorter and more comfortable when I go snorkeling and with the right fins you can get a pad for the back of your heel that make them even more comfortable. I think that the aquaglides come with such a pad but would have to look at the pair i bought to see for sure. Take care and enjoy the snorkeling :)

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up buying a kit from Campmor (that someone suggested) and we got the US diver kit for both of us. It arrived yesterday (jumping up and down while I'm saying that) and I have to say I LOVE them! :D

I was concerned because all of the reviews said that you must have a small foot if you are a guy or they won't fit (meaning not a WIDE foot). The hubby tried his on and they fit wonderful.

Very happy with this purchase. Now I just need a set of snorkeling life vest and we'll be set. :)

Archived